Would you have a lesson just because??

RustyTom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I won a free 1 hour lesson at my golf club and I go to Portugal in 3 weeks to play golf so I was going to use it before I go, but I'm currently playing the best I've played (last 4 rounds have been under my handicap, only 1 was a qualifying comp and got cut from 19.4 to 18.6) and would only be using it because its there to use.

Would you have the lesson or would you wait until you feel a lesson is needed? I don't really want to tweak anything before I go as Il only be playing 2 more times and won't be able to drum it in, on the other hand if there is something that he sees I'm doing wrong that would benefit me it could be worth it.

RW1986

Head Pro
Visit site
How about you go on your holiday, enjoy your golf and if you notice you struggle with something on the course then you can arrange a lesson once you're back to fix the problem. :thup:

calluma11

Club Champion
Visit site
I'd agree.
Unless there's something blaringly obvious that could be fixed, you dont want to over complicate your mind/thoughts - especially when you're playing the best you've ever played.

Is there an expiry? Why not wait until you notice an issue somewhere?

Enjoy the hol!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If it's a one off lesson with a pro you haven't seen before then I'd leave it. However I always try to have a lesson with Steve at the club when I'm playing well as I like to validate that I am playing well because of what he has told me to do and not because I'm going through a purple patch. I'll probably try to fit one in in the next few weeks as I feel like I'm swinging the club better than I have in ages, possibly ever

RustyTom

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's with the new coach at our club but all I'm hearing is good things about him. I don't think it has an expiry date.

Two half hours could be a good shout, but I always find half hour isn't enough. I've never had an hour lesson but I rarely come out a half hour lesson knowing 100% what it is I have to work on.

Maybe Il go and speak with him to see what he recommends, considering it's free it won't make a difference to him.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It'd be a rare pro that doesn't suggest any changes. If you're playing well at the moment, then just go and enjoy Portugal and have the lesson when you get back. The last thing a holiday needs is an extra swing thought or two.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It'd be a rare pro that doesn't suggest any changes. If you're playing well at the moment, then just go and enjoy Portugal and have the lesson when you get back. The last thing a holiday needs is an extra swing thought or two.

This.
I had a course of lessons booked and started to show progress down the range.
Went out for my 1st "proper" game about 3 weeks later and I had about 6 points on the front 9.
Reverted back to my old swing and had 21 on the back.
Sod lessons.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I'd wait till after Portugal, but then definitely take it. If you are happy with your full swing at the moment and don't want to mess that up, you can also tell the pro you want to work on your short game. Or your putting. Or bunker shots. Or course management. You can't tell me that there is not a single area in your game that you feel needs imrpoving.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Similarly, I won a lesson in our pro shop Xmas draw. I hav not bothered with it yet as I'm playing ok and not sure what, if anything, needs working on

I'd wait until you come back, as after a few days away, anything you need to work on will be blindingly obvious

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only time I'd have a lesson just because is either before the season or after, just too see if anything needs worked on or can be an improvement. Can also be good at start of the season to get confirmation that things are good and maybe only need small tweaks.

You could if u wanted to use it before your holiday consider a putting lesson or short game lesson. I find that those types of lessons wouldn't mess with your game too much but can be valuable in the long run.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe get a lesson in a specific thing like bunker play, chipping, putting or somthing like flop shots :)?

Leave the full swing well alone if you dont feel you need it?