What would you do after playing with a suspected cheat?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in monthly medal this morning with a young guy off 3. Had been told before to look out for him as the person that told me said he cheated.

2 things happened today that, although didn't confirm he was definitely cast a shadow.

1) hitting his 2nd shot on our 3rd hole he hit into gorse up on the right. Only I could see it as I was at the top of the hill keeping watch. I said I think i'll find it but hit a provisional in case. He hit to exact same spot but finished short of gorse but sitting up in some rough. As him and other pp walked up the hill they confirmed they found both balls so I looked at my shot. When I looked back up he was addressing his provisional ball. I shouted that's not the right ball... It turns out he had picked up the one in gorse and claimed this was his 1st. He questioned me I said 100% he was addressing wrong ball. He took other ball and walked over and placed it. I couldn't see as was quite far but he placed it rather than dropped it. I wasn't marking his card but also don't think he penalised himself.

2) on our 15th he was 20-25 feet off the green and was chipping over a sprinkler head. He asked should he get relief. I have been playing 2 years and know you don't get any but inexplicably our PP was going to give him it. When I said I'll call the pro shop he kind of laughed... The pro shop confirmed he didn't. He has been playing 9 years and off 3.... Surely he has been in this situation before?

I told him it wasn't his ball in 1st mistake and gave him right ruling on 2nd. I didn't check to see if he penalised himself on 1st tho. What more should I have done? I really don't like the idea of reporting someone when it's not definitive. In fact I don't really want to report anyone ever about anything as I don't like to tbph.

He didn't shoot any kind of nett score to win but It's kind of pi$$ed me off tho.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you know what his score would have been including the penalty on the first incident? If so look into HDiD/intelligentgolf or whatever your club uses, open up his card and see if it matches up. If not mention to committee.

Also when you next see his bag around the clubhouse drop a couple overripe bananas down the top of it.

Btw, did he mark his ball and identify what he was playing and what his provisional was to his marker?

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played in monthly medal this morning with a young guy off 3. Had been told before to look out for him as the person that told me said he cheated.

2 things happened today that, although didn't confirm he was definitely cast a shadow.

1) hitting his 2nd shot on our 3rd hole he hit into gorse up on the right. Only I could see it as I was at the top of the hill keeping watch. I said I think i'll find it but hit a provisional in case. He hit to exact same spot but finished short of gorse but sitting up in some rough. As him and other pp walked up the hill they confirmed they found both balls so I looked at my shot. When I looked back up he was addressing his provisional ball. I shouted that's not the right ball... It turns out he had picked up the one in gorse and claimed this was his 1st. He questioned me I said 100% he was addressing wrong ball. He took other ball and walked over and placed it. I couldn't see as was quite far but he placed it rather than dropped it. I wasn't marking his card but also don't think he penalised himself.

2) on our 15th he was 20-25 feet off the green and was chipping over a sprinkler head. He asked should he get relief. I have been playing 2 years and know you don't get any but inexplicably our PP was going to give him it. When I said I'll call the pro shop he kind of laughed... The pro shop confirmed he didn't. He has been playing 9 years and off 3.... Surely he has been in this situation before?

I told him it wasn't his ball in 1st mistake and gave him right ruling on 2nd. I didn't check to see if he penalised himself on 1st tho. What more should I have done? I really don't like the idea of reporting someone when it's not definitive. In fact I don't really want to report anyone ever about anything as I don't like to tbph.

He didn't shoot any kind of nett score to win but It's kind of pi$$ed me off tho.

Be aware that there can be Local rules that allow relief at some courses, although unlikely at 20 feet.
We have a local rule that if the sprinkler head is within 2 club lengths of the green and the ball is within 2 club lengths of the sprinkler head and intervenes with the line of play, then a free drop is allowed.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Be aware that there can be Local rules that allow relief at some courses, although unlikely at 20 feet.
We have a local rule that if the sprinkler head is within 2 club lengths of the green and the ball is within 2 club lengths of the sprinkler head and intervenes with the line of play, then a free drop is allowed.

Yes. That is the standard approved Local Rule. 20 feet - no chance.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He's only cheating himself at the end of the day. However, I totally see why it boiled your blood, having played with someone who needed to go back to maths class as counting wasn't their strong point!

The committee needs to be made aware of this and deal with appropriately.

ab1v

Medal Winner
Visit site
Er, no he's not. If he's taking prize money by cheating, he's cheating someone else out of prize money.

👍👍 The game relies on honesty. We have to trust fellow competitors otherwise there is no point in entering competitions. No harm in not knowing the rules, not good in not abiding by them.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The easy answer to to the question posed is to either do something or say (post/hint at/allude to) nothing.

They deserve the right to reply, and if guilty they deserve what they get - if innocent they do not deserve the discussion behind their backs.

If it's simply a question of a lack of rules comprehension they deserve clarification, both of the specific incident and their wider responsibilities with regard to understanding the rules.

The rules also make it clear that you have a responsibility as a fc even if you were not the marker.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Young fella playing off 3 for 9 years ? he not much good at the cheating lark

Also the other player didn't know the rule either ,

As for the penalty you should mentioned it to the guy marking the card to make sure he added the pen and see where it went ..

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Young fella playing off 3 for 9 years ? he not much good at the cheating lark

Also the other player didn't know the rule either ,

As for the penalty you should mentioned it to the guy marking the card to make sure he added the pen and see where it went ..

It's not that easy for a golfer with limited experience of competition play to know how to deal with such a situation. I'm a bit long in the tooth, but I found myself unable to decide what to do in the following scenario:

I was playing in my first outing in the Winter alliance in a 3-ball with two Cat 1s. On a par 3, before teeing off, the 5-handicapper asked the 3-handicapper what iron he had used. Should I have said something? Yes, but I bottled it and regret it to this day - I was pretty certain he knew what he was doing.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not that easy for a golfer with limited experience of competition play to know how to deal with such a situation. I'm a bit long in the tooth, but I found myself unable to decide what to do in the following scenario:

I was playing in my first outing in the Winter alliance in a 3-ball with two Cat 1s. On a par 3, before teeing off, the 5-handicapper asked the 3-handicapper what iron he had used. Should I have said something? Yes, but I bottled it and regret it to this day - I was pretty certain he knew what he was doing.

Yep got agree , easy sit here & type the right thing , not always as easy in reality .. I try to advise unless its blatant , then you have to front up , doesn't make for the nicest of rounds after ,

And29

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you know what his score would have been including the penalty on the first incident? If so look into HDiD/intelligentgolf or whatever your club uses, open up his card and see if it matches up. If not mention to committee.

Also when you next see his bag around the clubhouse drop a couple overripe bananas down the top of it.

Btw, did he mark his ball and identify what he was playing and what his provisional was to his marker?

or sprikle some prawns in

Marines trick for someone not pulling thier weight,,

sound him out i cant stand cheats, whats the point

i like this game because its played with integrity

last year me and a friend of mine played a round on a Wednesday evening behind a club roll up. Whilst on the 4th hole the chaps playing up the 16th where driving up by our tee box..
16th is a par four and the guys playing where old chap unable to reach in two.
one ball was 30yards in front.. With a poor lie.

we saw him kick it over to the fringe of the green out the rough..

and immediately called him out, shouting to him and his pp all of which were 30yards back

we waited till they caught up and informed them of this Bellends actions, this as not our club or we had no right to butt in...

but this guy was mid 50's and should have known better

i wanted to flatten the guy, and very nearly picked his ball up.

Hate this kind of ****.....

G

guest100718

Played yesterday and I think oppo scooped the ball from the bunker, they won the hole..to force us into extra holes. Fortunelty we won the 1st sudden death hole. But it would have left a bad feeling had we lost.