Would you carry if there is a trolley ban ?

Would you carry or not bother

• Yes

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Re: Would you carry if there is a trolley ban

I am not sure I would go along with you on this. If the course was carry only due to adverse weather (and this is mainly during winter) are you saying that you would insist on having the trolley or the club would face legal proceedings?

Absolutely spot on. (Actually no I wouldn't however I know a story!)

A club in Glasgow implemented such a ban and included all ride on buggies too. A disabled member took exception to this and wrote to the club explaining that he was being discriminated against due to his disability. After a few exchanges said member threatened club with legal action through a lawyer.

On the club consulting with their lawyers and legal position the club backed down.

You have to be very careful hence why a few clubs in this thread allow you to use your trolley with a medical certificate.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

We had a situation near us when the club wanted to ban buggies in wet weather and a member took exception and threatened all sorts of legal action. The club took legal advice and so long as the grounds for banning them are health and safety, you can. This is now the situation and said member has left. Appreciate law may well be different in Scotland.
Not sure how you'd go on banning trollies under health and safety but as clubs do have these bans it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Disabled people and seniors with difficulties should get reduction in subs if they can’t use a trolley.

Trolleys should be banned at certain clubs. The damage to clay based courses is horrendous!
Regardless of age, sex, creed, ableness. Trolley ban should be a trolley ban.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Yes would carry as going around the roped off areas is a pain.

Often only carry a half set when doing so.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I have a pull trolley with hedgehog wheels, which is allowed on our course in winter, but it is really hard to pull when the ground is wet, so I changed to a small carry bag instead. I have just 6 clubs in it at the moment, which is totally enough. And I find it so much easier and less exhausting than pulling that stupid trolley thing around. Walking distance is a lot shorter as well, since I don't have to stick to the path and there are no off-limit areas to avoid. I normally only play 9 or 12 holes at the moment, though. Just feels enough as long as the weather is cold and miserable.

jimjoachim

Head Pro
Visit site

I always carry in the winter. More because walking with a trolley freezes the crap out of my hands.

Our club has moved to fairway mats this winter for the first time so fairways are divot free but can really notice the trolley damage now...

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

I'd have no problem carrying. I tend to use my trolley mostly but in the winter or if required I'm happy to carry.
It tends to be only a half set though and my carry bag has a set of old Maxfli Revolutions which I enjoy using.
I would however say thank goodness for the double strap system. Being as round shouldered as I am, single straps just slide off!

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site

Transferred my clubs to a carry bag mid December and will continue to use that until late Feb I would have thought; I've found carrying helps me warm up!

Cols_Ears

Hacker
Visit site

My Home course is far more suited to carrying than using a trolley - big dunes and small narrow paths! I carry >75% of my rounds.

My previous course was a longer walk and was well suited to trolleys to I used a remote control trolley and a big staff bag. Seems to make no difference to my scores and I enjoy the more stripped back feel when I carry. It also stops you putting so much cr@p that you don't need in your bag! In the winter I use a pencil bag, as I'm normally wearing my waterproofs, but use a normal stand bag in the summer.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Clutch has gone on one of the wheels of my trolley so had to carry yesterday. Really felt it in the achillies afterwards.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

just took a pencil bag out the last time i played. plan to play hickory's a fair bit in the next few weeks and only have 5 clubs anyway so pencil bag it is.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I take a carry bag in winter .
carry the odd number irons one week then swop to even numbers.

Clubs should have a few team comps five clubs only.

This would encourage people to carry.

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Prefer to carry and usually only get the trolley out for forum meets and arranged games when courses are dry.. If im on my own and want a quick game at my place I just chuck the bag in the car, a lot easier, plus burns off more calories, keeps the course in better nick My place needs to introduce more trolley bans in the wet.

Last edited: