Would you carry if there is a trolley ban ?

Would you carry or not bother

• Yes

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shut again for the 8th day running at our place and we are either open or closed. I'd like us to try a trolley ban but keep hearing that the members won't carry ,so we might as well close the course.

My argument is , well at least give them the chance to.

From my perspective I'd carry a half set and look forward to the challenge of playing differents shots .

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re: Would you carry if there is a trolley ban

Yes, no problems with carrying. I often do anyway in winter or in practice games.

EDIT - poll question doesn't really lend itself to a yes/no answer. I assumed "yes" is I would carry.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always carry in the winter. Just find it easier than faffing with the trolley in some slightly muddy spots on the course.

My course is closed this weekend too, due to flooding apparently with all the snow we had last week its not surprising really.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yes, no problems with carrying. I often do anyway in winter or in practice games.

EDIT - poll question doesn't really lend itself to a yes/no answer. I assumed "yes" is I would carry.

Good point! The answer to the question can only be "Yes" regardless of whether you would carry or you would not!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I won't carry. I don't own a stand bag, only a cart one, so plonking the whole thing down on the floor and picking it up again is aggro - plus only the single strap on the bag instead of the split one so it knackers my shoulder. So yeah, if there's a trolley ban I'd just play somewhere else or not at all.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Good point! The answer to the question can only be "Yes" regardless of whether you would carry or you would not!
If you assume the question is the thread title rather than what it says the question is, it makes sense. But yeah he might want to make the poll options clearer. i.e. "would carry" & "would not bother"

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At previous club i once had a motion at AGM to ban trolleys from end Nov through end Feb (course was built on clay and got very very muddy). Three Line whip went out to seniors to attend. Record number of members on the night - nearly 220 I recall. Vote in favour 5...vote against 215.

I wasn't that bothered as me; head greenkeeper and chairman has discussed beforehand and the chairman put forward the compromise that any decision to ban trolleys on any day would be for the Head Greenkeeper - he had the authority, and guess the strategy he took. Yup - lots of days trolleys were banned. And most members including seniors played and carried unless a medical certificate was provided that said any form of carrying was not possible for the individual.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I carry a fair bit in the winter anyway as it does help protect the course, at our club we operate a carry if you can policy, although I would say the vast majority use trollies unless there is a ban in place.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yes good point FD, I meant would you carry or would you not bother

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

Absolutely, no problems with carrying. I use a trolley most rounds these days (with hedgehogs in the winter), purely because less strain on my dodgy shoulder, which gets badly aggravated picking the bag up and slinging it on. But, if I'm just popping out for 9, or if the course demanded, happy to carry.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

If you assume the question is the thread title rather than what it says the question is, it makes sense. But yeah he might want to make the poll options clearer. i.e. "would carry" & "would not bother"

Can't see an option to change poll question, will ask a friend Mod .

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

I carry a half set all winter as can't be doing with all the mud on my trolley/avoiding roped areas etc. Plus we flip from no trollies, to push trollies only to all allowed depending on the course condition (currently all trollies are banned).

I do find it a bit tiring though!

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site

My course was closed for the last 2 days and so was odds-on today to be carry only. So I moved everything from the trolley bag to the carry bag.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

The way I see it - if there's a trolley ban then it's bloody wet and probably not worth playing anyway........

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
During the winter our course has many areas around greens roped off, so I carry even when trolleys are allowed.

When carrying I only have half the irons, which in some respects makes club selection much easier. Perhaps I should always carry!

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

We are either open or closed, when very wet a "carry bag would be preferred" message goes out.
In fairness the grass is quite linksy and not a disaster.

I have purchased a carry bag just in case, but will be happy to never use it

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

My little H2NO superlight with 7 clubs weighs next to nothing and I've just managed to get round for the last couple of comps.

The choice in my case was to pay out for hedgehogs as we have now introduced them...looking at the course it's hard to see that they have made much difference given the ground conditions though!

Noticeable that those using them continue to use a fully loaded summer bag with all the winter extras as well...cant help feeling my little bag on a clic gear would have a lesser footprint overall. Of course, having introduced them, and with people having paid out to get them, there's even less chance that we will have a trolley ban (previously we did from time to time - probably 10 days a year).