The all things EV chat thread

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
I would consider an EV the only problem is no off road parking and untill we get a solution to this and widely implement it i do not see a chance of moving to electric.
The local council(Sheffield) are installing chargers but not anywhere near where i live and the ones they are putting in will cost @30p per Kw for the first hour then £10 an hour after
that , no idea how that works out cost wise but doesnt seem all that cheap to me , to be fair i have not really looked though .

Leftitshort

Visit site
I keep hearing people say "lease" with cars, but has anyone else seen the pictures of Rockingham circuit, now used as a giant car park for the ex-lease cars that were returned for whatever reason?
It really is quite scary. At some point the lease market will collapse.
You mean de-fleeted vehicles ready for auction? These’s cars pretty much support the used vehicle market in the U.K. it’s a growth market.
To answer the question yes, but I wouldn’t buy. I’d deffo lease. If the tech is superseded & the residual value drops it’s someone else’s problem

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would consider an EV the only problem is no off road parking and untill we get a solution to this and widely implement it i do not see a chance of moving to electric.
The local council(Sheffield) are installing chargers but not anywhere near where i live and the ones they are putting in will cost @30p per Kw for the first hour then £10 an hour after
that , no idea how that works out cost wise but doesnt seem all that cheap to me , to be fair i have not really looked though .
I would think that’s a charge to stop you parking your car in a charger for more than the first hour so other people can use it.
So you don’t leave it there all day.
I have seen ice cars in charging points they should be heavily fined for such selfish behaviour imo.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You mean de-fleeted vehicles ready for auction? These’s cars pretty much support the used vehicle market in the U.K. it’s a growth market.
To answer the question yes, but I wouldn’t buy. I’d deffo lease. If the tech is superseded & the residual value drops it’s someone else’s problem
The article said they were ex lease cars, beyond that I have no knowledge other than there were thousands all parked up with no-where to go.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Theres lots of things you"could" do, but lets be realistic electricity is electricty, and your EV is going ot be charged by eletcricity created by the same as everything else so it's going to be just as polluting and enviromentally damaging as every other item that uses electricity.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The article said they were ex lease cars, beyond that I have no knowledge other than there were thousands all parked up with no-where to go.

That's because people are handing back cars but second hand cars are hardly flying off the forcourts ATM with people skint or working from home ..

They will be bargains soon enough

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Theres lots of things you"could" do, but lets be realistic electricity is electricty, and your EV is going ot be charged by eletcricity created by the same as everything else so it's going to be just as polluting and enviromentally damaging as every other item that uses electricity.

The point is we as a national are working towards getting the grid greener ... So all electric will be less harmful to the environment

My energy company say all my electric is from green .. but heck comes down same wire

One day most if not all will be green

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's because people are handing back cars but second hand cars are hardly flying off the forcourts ATM with people skint or working from home ..

They will be bargains soon enough
Chatting to the chaps at the dealership I got my car recently, and it's the used market thats kept them afloat. New cars have dropped off the cliff, but used are selling straight away.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chatting to the chaps at the dealership I got my car recently, and it's the used market thats kept them afloat. New cars have dropped off the cliff, but used are selling straight away.

Majority of new cars are paid by PCP or finance (88%)

People don't want to commit ATM ... Hardly surprising

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Might be the public has worked out the taxing policy.. you get hit in year 2 ,3 ... and most cars are over 40k .
There are threats on emissions of electric cars, the buying public are not being encouraged but having a slow erosion of confidence.
We also have to build up the charging infrastructure, or re-educate either way we need to have smaller batteries in the vehicles and quicker charge times.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Weird things about being an electric car owner

I've done 1000 miles now

Keep driving past petrol garages thinking haven't been to one of you in ages..

1000 miles and had to do the screen wash when first arrived but no oil to check so bonnet has remained closed

It just feels weird the lack of effort

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

How can charging an EV with solar panels pollute and damage the environment?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
How can charging an EV with solar panels pollute and damage the environment?

I think the answer is that solar panels have to be manufactured and that process could create pollution and use up other natural resources
obviously once made there is no pollution, until end of life as they will need replacing after however many years, hopefully much is recycled

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I think the answer is that solar panels have to be manufactured and that process could create pollution and use up other natural resources
obviously once made there is no pollution, until end of life as they will need replacing after however many years, hopefully much is recycled

Unless of course the factory that makes the solar panels, also makes its own electricity.

Start at 7:56

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd love to get a battery aswell for side of house .. charge up during day and then use to charge when needed

I'm sure they can be retrofitted and you don't need to pay Tesla power wall prices.
Power your house and your car free on those cloudy days.
And if there's no sun for days/weeks, charge your house batteries overnight when the electricity is thrupence a gallon

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Nice product Bob, I’m sure it’s very efficient
However the article doesn’t make any reference to the manufacturing process, doesn’t say what the raw materials are and fails to make any mention of recyclability.

You stated that solar energy is clean energy, it is after manufacture and before end of life, but it plainly is not clean in manufacturing and recycling

Hopefully future advances will help alleviate these issues,

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Nice product Bob, I’m sure it’s very efficient
However the article doesn’t make any reference to the manufacturing process, doesn’t say what the raw materials are and fails to make any mention of recyclability.

You stated that solar energy is clean energy, it is after manufacture and before end of life, but it plainly is not clean in manufacturing and recycling

Hopefully future advances will help alleviate these issues,

I agree but the point is, renewable energy is the cheapest, cleanest and often the most convenient way of fuelling your house/car.
And it wont run out.
Oil, gas and coal will run out.
I can't see people installing a nuclear power plant or a hydrogen factory on their driveway any time soon.