The all things EV chat thread

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Saw a what car (I think) video recently. It cost more to charge a car than fuel it at motorway services on a journey north from London.

Do have a small issue with some of the hatchet job the press is doing on EVs ATM is the deliberate cooking of figures

They seem to like comparing the most expensive chargers out there with the cheapest petrol possible (rather than for example motorway petrol)

Also they negate the issue of average , it's all ok this one journey cost more.. but was that car really empty? For example if someone goes say a 500 mile round trip in a car that does 200 miles the first 200 most likely would cost a fraction of the cost as it would most likely be done at home. Then the final 300 miles would be the expensive. Bringing the average down a lot lower than the clickbait headline figures.

Their doing the same with heatpumps aswell , it's almost like somebody is set to lose a lot of money...

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I do worry that people with electric cars are being hit by profiteering when charging away from home though.
Not sure it really is profiteering. Remember that commercial organisations are not protected by a price cap. My niece and her partner run a company and are paying about 60p per unit for electricity. Of course the big EV charger companies will have done a deal of some sort, but let's not all jump to the conclusion that they are gouging the market.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure it really is profiteering. Remember that commercial organisations are not protected by a price cap. My niece and her partner run a company and are paying about 60p per unit for electricity. Of course the big EV charger companies will have done a deal of some sort, but let's not all jump to the conclusion that they are gouging the market.
Do they run a company that charges motorists for electricity?
Since the government should be forcing a price cap? People are being forced into EVs after all.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I must admit I presumed EV would be a lot cheaper to ‘fuel’ and perhaps they can be if you stick within certain parameters. It might not always be possible to stick to those parameters though. Given the premium attached to the asking price EV’s and what people have written above, it seems unlikely that any fuel savings would come close to the additional costs of buying an EV over a 3-5 year period. This would in all likelihood rule me out of buying one in the near future.

Although, my mate has a Tesla and the acceleration is like something I’ve never experienced so driving experience may be a factor to consider.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Do they run a company that charges motorists for electricity?
I presume this is a joke, but I suppose there's a small chance my previous post could be interpreted that they are a minor EV charging company.

So just to clarify: they run a holiday park.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s a bit like an elastic band that stretches until it snaps, or a screw that tightens until it doesn’t.

The saving is in the miles. The more miles, the more you save. Until you come to a point where your daily miles are so high that you have to charge away from home and the savings are diminished/eradicated.

That’s until you get to certain EVs where it is a lifestyle choice and the money side of things doesn’t matter.

D-S

Visit site
I guess public charging for EVs is a bit like motorway petrol, a distress purchase as in this case there is a better, cheaper alternative - home charging and you only use public charging if you really have to.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I guess public charging for EVs is a bit like motorway petrol, a distress purchase as in this case there is a better, cheaper alternative - home charging and you only use public charging if you really have to.

And that's the beauty of the EV at the moment.....choice.
With an ICE car, it doesn't matter where you refuel, you're still going to pay the Govt. tax and VAT.

If you have the ability to charge at home via solar panels and battery storage, you don't pay the tax.
This may help....

https://www.zap-map.com/liberty-charge-free-charger-installation/#more-166617

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Remember to factor in the purchase price as well, they are a lot more than the comparable size petrol car. Possibly go hybrid to start with?
I'm not convinced on hybrid. A friend of mine has a full hybrid and he doesn't do enough mileage to keep the battery charged nowadays, so he basically is running it on petrol.
I have a plug-in hybrid and, whilst I can charge it at home, charging it on the move has been a constant issue. Many hotels I stop at either don't have chargers, or they are not working, or they are occupied. And I can't charge on the motorways as a plug-in hybrid takes about 4 hours to deliver 25-30 miles charge (20-25 in the winter).
So when I am away, I find myself running on petrol more often than not.
Why do I have a plug-in hybrid? As full electric was not available at the time, and the company car tax allowance made moving from my diesel vehicle a no-brainer.
For fast charging, is there not an issue that too much of that ruins the battery?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm not convinced on hybrid. A friend of mine has a full hybrid and he doesn't do enough mileage to keep the battery charged nowadays, so he basically is running it on petrol.
I have a plug-in hybrid and, whilst I can charge it at home, charging it on the move has been a constant issue. Many hotels I stop at either don't have chargers, or they are not working, or they are occupied. And I can't charge on the motorways as a plug-in hybrid takes about 4 hours to deliver 25-30 miles charge (20-25 in the winter).
Why do I have a plug-in hybrid? As full electric was not available at the time, and the company car tax allowance made moving from my diesel vehicle a no-brainer.
For fast charging, is there not an issue that too much of that ruins the battery?

I must admit I don't know much about the hybrid economy figures however my brother in law got a Range Rover hybrid and he does a lot of miles as works for his family business which owns a number of petrol stations around the country. He's had it for 3 months and he says it's the worst decision he's ever made as he mainly does long journeys so doesn't really use the electric side and because of the additional weight of that his economy figures are pretty terrible. He's trying to trade it back and just get a petrol version.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, what do you reckon your economy figures are. An average?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I realised after I made the comment about the high cost of EV, the OP was talking about Porsche - I don't think he would be too concerned with buying cheap :)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Out of interest, what do you reckon your economy figures are. An average?
According to my app, over the last 2,500 miles I've averaged 55mpg and 10.3m/kWh. Skoda Superb iV. I've had it 2 years now and finally got a full home charger when we moved house last September. I'm lucky in that my company reimburse me for my charging costs.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I’m finding it very hard to differentiate between this thread and the “would you buy an EV” thread.

Contemplating merging both

Any convincing arguments for not merging please post 👍