• YES! : Banned back to the stone age!

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • NO WAY : I have massive hands!

Votes: 30 93.8%

• Total voters

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Just on the back of the armlock debate, how far do we go? Are giant grips equally making it far too easy on the greens. Rose, Jordan, Choi, all transformed when using them....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I cannot vote either way with the choice and reason give.

Massive hands has nothing to do with big thick putter grips.

Thicker putter grips are about trying to take the wrist out of the stroke.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I found that the head weight and toe hang/face balancing was more of an influence to my stroke than the putter grip.

peld

Visit site
to reiterate a point that is often made - if all these aspects (armlock, belly, grips, broom handle etc) made a material difference then all players would do it.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
to reiterate a point that is often made - if all these aspects (armlock, belly, grips, broom handle etc) made a material difference then all players would do it.

That really depends on the person rather than it just being an objective advantage.

If you are a good putter then maybe the advantage is so small that it is immaterial to you, and so why would you change to a whole brand new technique that requires practice, especially as a pro where taking months to get to grips with a new technique could cost you fortune.

However if you are a poor putter then the advantages could be massive, especially if the new technique or feature counteracts the issue you have. For instance if your putting stroke is prone to coming off line or twisting then anchoring against the arm or body could make a massive difference. Whereas if you don't have that problem then it wouldn't make much of a difference.

D

Deleted member 1147

I wouldn't ban them, but if they were banned I wouldn't mind.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bryson has one of these grips on his driver. Couldnt believe it when i seen it at the open.
All his clubs have the thickest grips possible. Each to their own - whenever I've tried a grip even slightly thicker than standard it feels awful, like swinging a tennis racket, ha.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Completely different to the armlock debate as they don't fundamentally change the way the stroke is made. You only have 2 points of contact.

They're both ways to stabilise the wrists though. So although mechanically they are different, if your banning armlock, which seems to be the view of that thread, for stabilising the wrists should we not also ban big grips for doing the same thing?

And theres no positive lock from arm lock, if i break my left wrist the shaft just moves away from my arm? So it is in effect a conventional stroke?