World Handicap System (WHS)

Billysboots

Challenge Tour Pro
Yesterday I was 7.8, today I'm 7.2
🤣
Guess someone has found a new calculation method!
We’re still waiting for all our competition data to be correctly transferred. Fully expect mine to change again before Monday, but not to the extent it impacts the number of shots I get on my home course off any tee.

Jordanti9

Hopefully I can get some help with this.

Under WHS if play my girlfriends home course. Is it possible for me to play a supplementary round at her course and her mark it then hand it in?

If so do I hand it in at her course or mine?

Thanks!

Old Skier

Tour Winner

Under WHS if play my girlfriends home course. Is it possible for me to play a supplementary round at her course and her mark it then hand it in?

Thanks!
After 2 Nov you can but must register at that club before play and they should enter card.

Swango1980

Thanks!
You follow the procedure set out at the club your playing at. I suspect their will be a terminal at the club to pre-register and then enter your score after. Might take a bit of time for clubs to get prepared for this, as they not only get used to WHS but also the fact the PSI terminals have been switched off due to Covid. Just ask the pro / member of staff how to go about it when you are there.

Jordanti9

You follow the procedure set out at the club your playing at. I suspect their will be a terminal at the club to pre-register and then enter your score after. Might take a bit of time for clubs to get prepared for this, as they not only get used to WHS but also the fact the PSI terminals have been switched off due to Covid. Just ask the pro / member of staff how to go about it when you are there.
Sorry to sound stupid. But by pre-register do you mean register my intention to submit a card?

I’ll be asking when I’m there about how I go about it. Just didn’t want to sound stupid when I showed up

IainP

Tour Rookie
Something I learned from this forum, and subsequent R&A readings is that there are different forms of strokeplay.
Was looking at the handicap allowances, and noticed the difference in how two countries have articulated
Screenshot_20201028-130059_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20201028-125531_Samsung Internet.jpg

For me, well Scottish golf are adding to the confusion 🤨

Last edited:

IainP

Tour Rookie
Not sure what you are meaning. The %ages for each format for England and Scotland tally with the GB&I Rules of Handicapping
Ah no, it's the wording.

EGU had split by format and by type which made more sense to me.

Having stroke play, stableford & par/bogey all as formats on SG seems confusing (to me).

IainP

Tour Rookie
Little shout for the WHS support at R&A. Raised a query and they replied very swiftly. They'd slightly misunderstood the question so posted another and again came back quickly with it resolved.
Caching issue apparently, can now see some CRs and SRs that were previously not showing.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Little shout for the WHS support at R&A. Raised a query and they replied very swiftly. They'd slightly misunderstood the question so posted another and again came back quickly with it resolved.
Caching issue apparently, can now see some CRs and SRs that were previously not showing.
Lucky, as a HC committee member we were instructed to go through EG, not had a response to any emails for over a week.

IainP

Tour Rookie
Don't suppose there are any stats knocking about, say from EG, for what % of clubs have done the email upload?

Club I'm at say they are doing over this weekend ready for the 2nd.

Probably isn't the only one in the country but it feels like it!

Nothing like a bit of contingency for potential problems 🤨🙁

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Something I learned from this forum, and subsequent R&A readings is that there are different forms of strokeplay.
Was looking at the handicap allowances, and noticed the difference in how two countries have articulated
View attachment 33156
View attachment 33157

For me, well Scottish golf for adding to the confusion 🤨
These two lists come from different places at different times

Committees should be using the charts in The Rules of Handicapping manual and the guidance on the Rules of handicapping.

IainP

Tour Rookie
These two lists come from different places at different times

Committees should be using the charts in The Rules of Handicapping manual and the guidance on the Rules of handicapping.
Don't think I understand your reply or how it applies to the point I was making.
What terms do the ones you refer to use? Are they available to the general public via the internet?

Here's a link to the one I was querying
https://scottishgolf.org/course-handicap-playing-handicap-calculations/#

rulefan

Tour Winner
Just checked and my index has changed, i was 15.8 now 16.8 any reason for the change ? or is it just sorting itself out ?
Don't suppose there are any stats knocking about, say from EG, for what % of clubs have done the email upload?

Club I'm at say they are doing over this weekend ready for the 2nd.

Probably isn't the only one in the country but it feels like it!

Nothing like a bit of contingency for potential problems 🤨🙁
Ours aren't uploaded and no idea when they will be. I'll be amazed if its done in time for Nov 2nd. There will be a whole load of people with handicaps that they wont be able to check in any way. I've calculated mine at 4.6. Initial view on EG was 4.5, which has now gone to 4.2. Suspect that drop was due to using CSSs. Not sure about slope for my course either mind you as we don't seem to have managed to have that done on time either. Rumoured to be 127 and 124 so not too different from the default if 125. (At least I think its the default I don't think that is written down anywhere).

All in all a bit of a shambles.

woofers

Medal Winner
There will be a whole load of people with handicaps that they wont be able to check in any way.
If they have registered with England Golf it shouldn’t be a problem.
I have, and can see mine and it’s quite clear which are the 8 best from the last 20, and the averaging works.

I agree that the whole process hasn‘t run smoothly, but suspect there are some politics behind the scenes somewhere. After all who would have thought a ‘world’ handicap system could be fragmented by the Welsh, English and Scottish authorities doing things differently.

Of course, it wouldn’t be golf if there wasn’t something for the majority to moan about.....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Don't think I understand your reply or how it applies to the point I was making.
What terms do the ones you refer to use? Are they available to the general public via the internet?

Here's a link to the one I was querying
https://scottishgolf.org/course-handicap-playing-handicap-calculations/#
That one looks like the one on the WHS slides that were used at the workshops.
The other one is the one from the posters in the toolkit for the clubs to use

yes as per Rulesfan

https://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/CONGU-Rules-of-Handicapping1.pdf
https://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/WHSDocs/Handicapping-Advice.pdf