World Handicap System (WHS)

Reemul

Head Pro
I just had a call from my son's club to say his email wasn't working re WHS. Anywyas it seems as he was 10 when he got his handicap we used my email address which I also use for my handicap. Not good, probably why I cannot get logged in or him either. We have now updated his email address to his own one but not sure what that means for either of us re handicaps, will teh system auto update on 02/11/ regardless or should I be doing something

rulefan

Tour Winner
I just had a call from my son's club to say his email wasn't working re WHS. Anywyas it seems as he was 10 when he got his handicap we used my email address which I also use for my handicap. Not good, probably why I cannot get logged in or him either. We have now updated his email address to his own one but not sure what that means for either of us re handicaps, will teh system auto update on 02/11/ regardless or should I be doing something
Wait until 2/11

Just registered and logged on.

I've been cut for 12.1 to 8.6 which is absolute nonsense, I've not been cut this season but my last medal I would have been 6 over but for an 11 on the card lol!

Sound right?

Apologies if this question has already been raised. On my WHS platform, under "marker", it states that my scores were assessed off the YELLOW tees, slope 130.
I have never played a competition off the yellow tees, always the white or even the blue tees; white is slope 131. Is my handicap incorrect?
Last week I was 11.1, then the WHS assessed it at 11.6, now I'm down to 11.3. Surely the white tees would change it even further?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Apologies if this question has already been raised. On my WHS platform, under "marker", it states that my scores were assessed off the YELLOW tees, slope 130.
I have never played a competition off the yellow tees, always the white or even the blue tees; white is slope 131. Is my handicap incorrect?
Last week I was 11.1, then the WHS assessed it at 11.6, now I'm down to 11.3. Surely the white tees would change it even further?
The boffins are in the middle of sorting a problem with wrongly assigned tees. But the wrong Course Rating is likely to have more effect.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Just registered and logged on.

I've been cut for 12.1 to 8.6 which is absolute nonsense, I've not been cut this season but my last medal I would have been 6 over but for an 11 on the card lol!

Sound right?
That 11 over would have been adjusted to a nett double bogey for handicap purposes i.e. the lowest score at which you would have received 0 points in Stableford. This may well have happened to a lot of your scores.

Have you looked at all your scores on the EG website. Which shows which ones are used having been converted to 'WHS' scores and adjusted for nett double bogeys.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
I have been 18.2 all the time since I initially logged on to E G.

looked tonight, no scores added, and I am 18.1.

Does not bother me but anybody any idea why it could have changed please?

That 11 over would have been adjusted to a nett double bogey for handicap purposes i.e. the lowest score at which you would have received 0 points in Stableford. This may well have happened to a lot of your scores.

Have you looked at all your scores on the EG website. Which shows which ones are used having been converted to 'WHS' scores and adjusted for nett double bogeys.
Thanks Jim thats helpful, i'll have a look. cheers.

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Interesting to see it has now changed to include the CSS/PCC adjustments however there is one glaring omission in my history of results - any medal where I have an NR (and I always keep scoring for the remaining holes) are not showing.

Has anyone else noticed this with their round history for NR's in medals ?

Luckily my NR which got me a cut has dropped out of the 20 most recent rounds...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Interesting to see it has now changed to include the CSS/PCC adjustments however there is one glaring omission in my history of results - any medal where I have an NR (and I always keep scoring for the remaining holes) are not showing.

Has anyone else noticed this with their round history for NR's in medals ?

Luckily my NR which got me a cut has dropped out of the 20 most recent rounds...
No individual round scores are showing you can check your Handicap Record via your club if you are quick, the conversions will take place tomorrow.
If you record all holes where you have competed the holes and only NR those that you do not the NRs will be recorded as nett double bogey i.e the lowest score at which you would have scored 0 points in stableford.

In the WHS if there are less than 10 holes scored then the round will not count for handicap purposes. Whether or not this has happened with rounds already converted I do not know.

IainP

Tour Rookie
The table in that link is consistent with the Rules manual but just laid out differently.

https://www.congu.co.uk/whs/
That one looks like the one on the WHS slides that were used at the workshops.
The other one is the one from the posters in the toolkit for the clubs to use

yes as per Rulesfan

https://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/CONGU-Rules-of-Handicapping1.pdf
https://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/WHSDocs/Handicapping-Advice.pdf
Thanks for your links.
Think this is the strangest set of posts I've been involved in on here, but I like a challenge :) It's no big deal but I'll have another go.

To recap, I was pointing out that SG have put out on the internet this month, tweeted and on other social media the link that I shared (or the image from it)
https://scottishgolf.org/course-handicap-playing-handicap-calculations/#

I was highlighting that I didn't care for the format they had chosen
I was interested in comments on this - agree, disagree, don't care, don't understand, etc.
Not - here are some other links, as that isn't really the point.

Rulefan I think you did ultimately agree that the format/lay out was different.

So from Appendix C of the links you shared we see - which to me looks like the version EG shared. I'd probably give this 8.5 / 10 :D
1604132754753.png

So my point was, why have SG put out something different in layout/format? I'd give that maybe 5 / 10.

My starting point here is:
Purpose: Rule 21 covers four other forms of individual play, including three forms of stroke play where scoring is different than in regular stroke play: Stableford (scoring by points awarded on each hole); Maximum Score (the score for each hole is capped at a maximum); and Par/Bogey (match play scoring used on a hole by hole basis).

An analogy might be Stroke Play are fruit, and Match Play are vegetables. Stableford are apples, Par/Bogey are oranges

I've read/heard many a time, things like "I don't play stableford, I only play stroke play" ("I don't eat applies, I only eat fruit" - eh?)

If you've made it this far, and wonder why I didn't give Appendix C 10 / 10 - well I think just having the first line of "type of round" as "Individual" is a bit rubbish, when the next three are also "Individual". Couldn't they have come up with anything better?

I notice in the links you provided there are references to "Stroke Play Competitions: Medal; "

Anyway, all done, as I said is no biggie. Roll on the 2nd.

Attachments

No individual round scores are showing you can check your Handicap Record via your club if you are quick, the conversions will take place tomorrow.
If you record all holes where you have competed the holes and only NR those that you do not the NRs will be recorded as nett double bogey i.e the lowest score at which you would have scored 0 points in stableford.

In the WHS if there are less than 10 holes scored then the round will not count for handicap purposes. Whether or not this has happened with rounds already converted I do not know.
How is a player penalised if they NR (with less than 10 holes scored) if it doesn't count for handicap purposes? Assume it still goes in the record as 1 of the last 20? What if someone has a large number of NRs in the record without holes scored?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Everything I thought I knew today got wiped out and i‘m confused

my index, at the moment, shows 2.1.

looking at the ‘board’ showing my course handicap at my home club, off the whites, I’d be off 2. Course rating is 73.2, slope 134 and par 72.

the r&a calculator says I should be off 4.

thoroughly confused now!

Fish

Blackballed
Here’s a daft question, how do you go up once this starts on the 2nd?

If it’s the best 8 from 20, what happens to the scores that are bigger, more so if they’re even bigger than any in the 20, and would have yielded a 0.1, where is that score now calculated?

If it’s best 8/20, essentially you could never go up if you never score better than your current 8/20 scores 🤔

Everything I thought I knew today got wiped out and i‘m confused

my index, at the moment, shows 2.1.

looking at the ‘board’ showing my course handicap at my home club, off the whites, I’d be off 2. Course rating is 73.2, slope 134 and par 72.

the r&a calculator says I should be off 4.

thoroughly confused now!
2 is correct for those numbers according to r&a calculator. Did you select 'without course rating minus par'?

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Here’s a daft question, how do you go up once this starts on the 2nd?

If it’s the best 8 from 20, what happens to the scores that are bigger, more so if they’re even bigger than any in the 20, and would have yielded a 0.1, where is that score now calculated?

If it’s best 8/20, essentially you could never go up if you never score better than your current 8/20 scores 🤔
If your one of your best 8 scores fall out of your most recent 20 scores your HI will go up.