World Handicap System (WHS)

Anyone got any idea how an ESR that doesn't appear in the WHS numbers gets handled..?
Don't know but I'm not sure it needs to be treated in any special way as it will be the actual scores that drive your initial WHS index allocation.

If a player has a long handicap record and the WHS starts at the beginning and takes the first 3 scores to generate the initial index then then builds the handicap up as the scores are generated then perhaps it could be argued that an exceptional score should generate the reduction appropriate....but I'll be honest....given that half the basics seem to have caused the WHS system problems, something that might take a little thought might be beyond them.

Weve got a player who put in 3 cards in Feb 2019...was allocated at 28 handicap. Never submitted another score until August 2020....has put in 3 supplementaries with nett differentials on -17, -4, -5 and got given in addition to his normal cuts a 3 shot ESR. Whilst the ESR doesnt figure in his WHS index the WHS has given him an index of 8.2 as it only recognises the 3 supplementaries that he has put in!!!

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Don't know but I'm not sure it needs to be treated in any special way as it will be the actual scores that drive your initial WHS index allocation.

If a player has a long handicap record and the WHS starts at the beginning and takes the first 3 scores to generate the initial index then then builds the handicap up as the scores are generated then perhaps it could be argued that an exceptional score should generate the reduction appropriate....but I'll be honest....given that half the basics seem to have caused the WHS system problems, something that might take a little thought might be beyond them.

Weve got a player who put in 3 cards in Feb 2019...was allocated at 28 handicap. Never submitted another score until August 2020....has put in 3 supplementaries with nett differentials on -17, -4, -5 and got given in addition to his normal cuts a 3 shot ESR. Whilst the ESR doesnt figure in his WHS index the WHS has given him an index of 8.2 as it only recognises the 3 supplementaries that he has put in!!!
-17 looks a bit odd, fat fingers?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Will an expert please clarify:

My handicap index is 18.2.

However on the latest figure available up to 3/10/20 it is shown as18.6 Why the discrepancy please. Realise no scores have been posted since then.

Also when scores are added a 94 will be replaced by a 96. Am I correct in stating the extra2 shots will equate to 0.25 rounded up to 0.3 so depending on the first answers will be either 18.5 or 18.9.

Thanks for any help provided
I'm not quite sure what you mean. No-one knows yet what their Handicap Index is - only an indication or estimate is shown on the WHS platform.

Leftitshort

Easy. Condition of Competition: If you haven't submitted X scores in the prior 12 months you cannot enter/win prizes.
Cheers. That makes sense for club comps. How would this be proven for opens unless there is another supplementary record to be carried around? Why remove the active/inactive stipulation?

rulefan

Tour Winner
My guess would be that ESR existed because there wasn't a rolling average, so I'd put my shekels on the good score just becoming part of the calculation.
That's my bet too.
I'm pretty sure that the approach would have been to process each CDH qualifying score in turn an apply the WHS formula to calculate HIs. Then apply the 8/20 to the latest 20 as they go by. It doesn't make sense to try and introduce CONGU machinations on the way.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Cheers. That makes sense for club comps. How would this be proven for opens unless there is another supplementary record to be carried around? Why remove the active/inactive stipulation?
No doubt clubs will be given access to an individual's playing record as the can access the CDH now.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
I'm not quite sure what you mean. No-one knows yet what their Handicap Index is - only an indication or estimate is shown on the WHS platform.
Thanks for the replySorry. My indicative index was 18.2 and I still have some scores to be added. However the number in the top right said 18.6 which I did not understand.

i would have expected the figures advised by EG to be the same as in the top right hand corner. My mistake and wondered why the differenec

Leftitshort

How did having the holy grail of a “C“ prove anything other than you played 3 qualifiers.
always thought it should be more. Seems like a missed opportunity to me. A real chance to try & legitimise the handicap system, rewarding commitment to the club game. Instead it’s another bandits charter. Make it 10 qualifiers a year. Don’t h e to be comp rounds anymore.

U might get away with sandbagging for 3 not for 10

Swango1980

Will an expert please clarify:

My handicap index is 18.2.

However on the latest figure available up to 3/10/20 it is shown as18.6 Why the discrepancy please. Realise no scores have been posted since then.

Also when scores are added a 94 will be replaced by a 96. Am I correct in stating the extra2 shots will equate to 0.25 rounded up to 0.3 so depending on the first answers will be either 18.5 or 18.9.

Thanks for any help provided
If you are talking about the WHS Score History, the 18.6 would have been your handicap index BEFORE that round was played (i.e. your Index you used for scoring that round was 18.6). The 18.2 is your Index, and therefore after that final round, your index went from 18.6 to 18.2. If you are talking about what I think you are.

Your final sentence makes reasonable sense. you gross differential increases by 2 shots, and averaged over 8 scores, that is an increase of 0.25. Although, the handicap index is based on Score Differentials, which multiple each gross differential by 113/Slope. So you need to apply a factor of 113/Slope to the 0.25 (this is me thing out loud, but I have been entering member e-mail addresses and DOB into the WHS Portal for the last 2 hours, so my brain is like a pickle)

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Anyone got any idea how an ESR that doesn't appear in the WHS numbers gets handled..?
The ESR under WHS is different and kicks in if you have a -7 Gross Differential (! shot) or -10 GD (2 Shots).

If you want to apply a recent adjustment to a handicap index you can do so on the individual members page of the EG Platform by selecting official adjustment. You can add a one or two shot adjustment which will have the effect of reducing all 20 rounds in the playing record by 1 or 2 shots. As more rounds are added these will not have the adjustment so the ESR flushes through.