World Handicap System (WHS)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure about Wales but the English data input to the transition program was taken directly from the CDH not from the ISVs and processed by DotGolf. I believe this was true of Wales, Scotland and Ireland (from their equivalent CDH systems) but the actual conversion programs may have produced by different organisation (other than DotGolf).

Yeah...I was more thinking that maybe the ISV leaves some sort of flag or mark on the data (in respect of NR scores) when it is uploaded to the CDH which is then picked up by DotGolf and interpreted in such a way that the score doesn't appear in a players record....unlikely I know but just trying to think why some clubs have an issue and others dont and looking for potential differences.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can anyone clarify what counts as a score under WHS. For example, if a comp takes place from measured tees (of any colour) but with lift and place throughout the general area and all bunkers classed as GUR would this count.

In addition scores are counting if Courses are allowing lift clean and replace in areas which are not cut to fairway height.

Provided the club has model local rule E2 in place

Ref Guidance GH/4

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So..being brutally honest..when I log in at 9 tomorrow morning...what the chances that scores will be right, tees will be right and HI will be right...?

badgergm

Visit site
So..being brutally honest..when I log in at 9 tomorrow morning...what the chances that scores will be right, tees will be right and HI will be right...?
any handicap qualifier played tomorrow would be a farce. Chances of the handicaps of the field being correct is nil, judging by the threads on this forum.
it really didn’t need to be this way.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Good luck. I'm still showing the previous club and no 2020 scores. Will remain hopeful but confidence is not high.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Good luck. I'm still showing the previous club and no 2020 scores. Will remain hopeful but confidence is not high.
Partial success
Now showing current club and 2020 scores in the list, but none of them used in the calculation, scores beyond last 20 still used.
There's a message, so expect they'll be pulled in soon (& index will definitely increase!)

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looks like October scores have been imported to the WHS but not yet applied as part of the index calculation.

I had scores missing from September and October which are now showing but not part of the calculation as above. Hopefully it will be sorted by the end of the day.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They've found my 75 but aren't using it yet:LOL:
Index gone up to 7.7(y)
But they're using a score from 2 years ago that isn't in my most recent 20(n)
If I was playing a comp today and logged in at 9am to find my index I'd have got 7.0.....30 minutes later I'm 7.7.?.
They should have run the 2 systems side by side for at least a week......

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had scores missing from September and October which are now showing but not part of the calculation as above. Hopefully it will be sorted by the end of the day.

Mine seems to be correct now. All relevant scores counting. Changed HI from 3.5 to 3.0

badgergm

Visit site
Mine has mysteriously gone down from 4.2 to 3.8. I cant access the details due to the 'email address upload' issue.
Still saying indicative and may change between now and 2 Nov.
Can' see any explanation on the website of where they are in the process or whether any known outstanding difficulties.

Shambles.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well only our governing bodies could get this all horribly wrong

They have been planning for years for this date and even more over the last couple of months , surely must have tested the switch to death but here we are on the first day and it’s a complete mess - what are they doing , my handicap index went from 2.3 to 4.2 because they appear to be no longer using any scores this year ?!

Seems a complete dogs dinner

Swango1980

Visit site
Last night, I was going to e-mail all members to give them some last minute advice as to how to find their Index and how to use it (I couldn't anyway, as Club V1 was down for final maintenance). I logged onto WHS Portal today, and saw loads of issues. I picked 2 random members, and the score diff columns were completely blank for all 2020 scores, but ok before that. Best 8 were no longer highlighted, if they were in 2020. No idea if scores are being correctly used to work out Index or not (I checked one, and it seems not). I also read a few comments on here that seems to clarify mistakes in the calculations.

On howdidido, which is a site members at our club use to sign into comps, see results and view handicaps (associated with Club V1 ISV), the old Congu handicaps are still showing.

So, unless members have access to the WHS Portal, how on earth will they know what their Index is. And, even if they have access to WHS, how do they know it is correct? And, when do I do my handicap review, if most handicaps are, simply put, wrong??? WHS handicaps are much more variable after a round, or potentially so, than CONGU handicaps. So, members will rely on the technology. And, as I have learnt, it seems like a significant number of members, many seniors, have never even used howdidido, let alone bothered about registering with WHS, so I think they will find it harder tracking handicaps.

We have winter league and knockout matches in progress, and I have no idea how many players will actually know what handicap to use, when even I don't know if it will change. There are some new members, whose 3 initial cards have still not been inlcuded in WHS, and probably wont. So, their Index is simply set to equal their Congu handicap, meaning they get more shots on course handicap. For a 28 handicapper, they get 5 extra shots (whereas a 28 handicapper with many scores in their record will have a lower index, and their course handicap is similar to Congu, maybe 1 or 2 higher sometimes). A lady member had a starting handicap of 45, played a couple of good rounds in October (1st rounds after getting initial handicap), and is now 39. Her Index has been set to 45, meaning her course handicap is 56. So, if she were to go out today, she'd be getting about 17 additional shots than she should. This will all take time to resolve.

Shambles

Scott W

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Still missing 7 card and 4 that are in are showing off the wrong tees....oh and I an top 40% in Sussex which is interesting as my club and my home are squarely in Surrey :ROFLMAO:

If they cant get basic geography right what hope for h'caps

Oh and I was also one of several thousands who's DOB was 1 day out (have you check yours?)

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Also in the situation where How did I do is currently in meltdown, showing different numbers to the England golf portal and glitching at every turn.

Congu replaced by an older version of the Englang golf numbers.

England golf portal now ignoring all 2020 scores.

This should have been delayed. Feel genuinely sorry for the volunteers on competition sub committees.

D

Deleted member 25172

Well only our governing bodies could get this all horribly wrong

They have been planning for years for this date and even more over the last couple of months , surely must have tested the switch to death but here we are on the first day and it’s a complete mess - what are they doing , my handicap index went from 2.3 to 4.2 because they appear to be no longer using any scores this year ?!

Seems a complete dogs dinner

Same here. Only new entry after 5th October is a gross 73 for me, but my handicap has gone from 5.0 to 6.6 as it only takes into account my rounds from 2019. :D

Edit: And rounds that are outside my last 20. Double :LOL::LOL: