World Handicap System (WHS)

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Little shout for the WHS support at R&A. Raised a query and they replied very swiftly. They'd slightly misunderstood the question so posted another and again came back quickly with it resolved.
Caching issue apparently, can now see some CRs and SRs that were previously not showing.
Lucky, as a HC committee member we were instructed to go through EG, not had a response to any emails for over a week.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Don't suppose there are any stats knocking about, say from EG, for what % of clubs have done the email upload?

Club I'm at say they are doing over this weekend ready for the 2nd.

Probably isn't the only one in the country but it feels like it!

Nothing like a bit of contingency for potential problems ??

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Something I learned from this forum, and subsequent R&A readings is that there are different forms of strokeplay.
Was looking at the handicap allowances, and noticed the difference in how two countries have articulated
View attachment 33156
View attachment 33157

For me, well Scottish golf for adding to the confusion ?

These two lists come from different places at different times

Committees should be using the charts in The Rules of Handicapping manual and the guidance on the Rules of handicapping.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
These two lists come from different places at different times

Committees should be using the charts in The Rules of Handicapping manual and the guidance on the Rules of handicapping.
Don't think I understand your reply or how it applies to the point I was making.
What terms do the ones you refer to use? Are they available to the general public via the internet?

Here's a link to the one I was querying
https://scottishgolf.org/course-handicap-playing-handicap-calculations/#

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

badgergm

Visit site
Just checked and my index has changed, i was 15.8 now 16.8 any reason for the change ? or is it just sorting itself out ?
Don't suppose there are any stats knocking about, say from EG, for what % of clubs have done the email upload?

Club I'm at say they are doing over this weekend ready for the 2nd.

Probably isn't the only one in the country but it feels like it!

Nothing like a bit of contingency for potential problems ??

Ours aren't uploaded and no idea when they will be. I'll be amazed if its done in time for Nov 2nd. There will be a whole load of people with handicaps that they wont be able to check in any way. I've calculated mine at 4.6. Initial view on EG was 4.5, which has now gone to 4.2. Suspect that drop was due to using CSSs. Not sure about slope for my course either mind you as we don't seem to have managed to have that done on time either. Rumoured to be 127 and 124 so not too different from the default if 125. (At least I think its the default I don't think that is written down anywhere).

All in all a bit of a shambles.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
There will be a whole load of people with handicaps that they wont be able to check in any way.
If they have registered with England Golf it shouldn’t be a problem.
I have, and can see mine and it’s quite clear which are the 8 best from the last 20, and the averaging works.

I agree that the whole process hasn‘t run smoothly, but suspect there are some politics behind the scenes somewhere. After all who would have thought a ‘world’ handicap system could be fragmented by the Welsh, English and Scottish authorities doing things differently.

Of course, it wouldn’t be golf if there wasn’t something for the majority to moan about.....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't think I understand your reply or how it applies to the point I was making.
What terms do the ones you refer to use? Are they available to the general public via the internet?

Here's a link to the one I was querying
https://scottishgolf.org/course-handicap-playing-handicap-calculations/#

That one looks like the one on the WHS slides that were used at the workshops.
The other one is the one from the posters in the toolkit for the clubs to use

yes as per Rulesfan

https://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/CONGU-Rules-of-Handicapping1.pdf
https://www.congu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/WHSDocs/Handicapping-Advice.pdf

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I just had a call from my son's club to say his email wasn't working re WHS. Anywyas it seems as he was 10 when he got his handicap we used my email address which I also use for my handicap. Not good, probably why I cannot get logged in or him either. We have now updated his email address to his own one but not sure what that means for either of us re handicaps, will teh system auto update on 02/11/ regardless or should I be doing something

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just had a call from my son's club to say his email wasn't working re WHS. Anywyas it seems as he was 10 when he got his handicap we used my email address which I also use for my handicap. Not good, probably why I cannot get logged in or him either. We have now updated his email address to his own one but not sure what that means for either of us re handicaps, will teh system auto update on 02/11/ regardless or should I be doing something
Wait until 2/11

TigerBear

Visit site
Just registered and logged on.

I've been cut for 12.1 to 8.6 which is absolute nonsense, I've not been cut this season but my last medal I would have been 6 over but for an 11 on the card lol!

Sound right?

Visit site
Apologies if this question has already been raised. On my WHS platform, under "marker", it states that my scores were assessed off the YELLOW tees, slope 130.
I have never played a competition off the yellow tees, always the white or even the blue tees; white is slope 131. Is my handicap incorrect?
Last week I was 11.1, then the WHS assessed it at 11.6, now I'm down to 11.3. Surely the white tees would change it even further?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apologies if this question has already been raised. On my WHS platform, under "marker", it states that my scores were assessed off the YELLOW tees, slope 130.
I have never played a competition off the yellow tees, always the white or even the blue tees; white is slope 131. Is my handicap incorrect?
Last week I was 11.1, then the WHS assessed it at 11.6, now I'm down to 11.3. Surely the white tees would change it even further?
The boffins are in the middle of sorting a problem with wrongly assigned tees. But the wrong Course Rating is likely to have more effect.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just registered and logged on.

I've been cut for 12.1 to 8.6 which is absolute nonsense, I've not been cut this season but my last medal I would have been 6 over but for an 11 on the card lol!

Sound right?

That 11 over would have been adjusted to a nett double bogey for handicap purposes i.e. the lowest score at which you would have received 0 points in Stableford. This may well have happened to a lot of your scores.

Have you looked at all your scores on the EG website. Which shows which ones are used having been converted to 'WHS' scores and adjusted for nett double bogeys.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have been 18.2 all the time since I initially logged on to E G.

looked tonight, no scores added, and I am 18.1.

Does not bother me but anybody any idea why it could have changed please?

TigerBear

Visit site
That 11 over would have been adjusted to a nett double bogey for handicap purposes i.e. the lowest score at which you would have received 0 points in Stableford. This may well have happened to a lot of your scores.

Have you looked at all your scores on the EG website. Which shows which ones are used having been converted to 'WHS' scores and adjusted for nett double bogeys.

Thanks Jim thats helpful, i'll have a look. cheers.

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting to see it has now changed to include the CSS/PCC adjustments however there is one glaring omission in my history of results - any medal where I have an NR (and I always keep scoring for the remaining holes) are not showing.

Has anyone else noticed this with their round history for NR's in medals ?

Luckily my NR which got me a cut has dropped out of the 20 most recent rounds...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting to see it has now changed to include the CSS/PCC adjustments however there is one glaring omission in my history of results - any medal where I have an NR (and I always keep scoring for the remaining holes) are not showing.

Has anyone else noticed this with their round history for NR's in medals ?

Luckily my NR which got me a cut has dropped out of the 20 most recent rounds...

No individual round scores are showing you can check your Handicap Record via your club if you are quick, the conversions will take place tomorrow.
If you record all holes where you have competed the holes and only NR those that you do not the NRs will be recorded as nett double bogey i.e the lowest score at which you would have scored 0 points in stableford.

In the WHS if there are less than 10 holes scored then the round will not count for handicap purposes. Whether or not this has happened with rounds already converted I do not know.