working out distances on knock down punch shots

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Over the winter had a course of group lessons and in one of them the pro was showing us playing into a strong headwind knockdown low punchy type shots with an abbreviated follow through.

Last night the winds were strong so had a chance to practice them after largely forgetting what I had been taught and they were great in terms of direction (could hit straighter than a full shot :eek: ) but found trying to judge distances quite hard.

is it just a case of gaining experience and trial and error on how much more or less the ball will go or is there a rule of thumb on this? I was often bang on target but overshooting and undershooting distances.

For example on one shot was 163 yards from pin, felt like a 3 club wind so took my 3 iron (usually carries about 195), ball further back, gripped down, abbreviated follow through, straight at the pin- hit back fringe and bounced through another 10 yards so was a good 20 yards away from pin.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Over the winter had a course of group lessons and in one of them the pro was showing us playing into a strong headwind knockdown low punchy type shots with an abbreviated follow through.

Last night the winds were strong so had a chance to practice them after largely forgetting what I had been taught and they were great in terms of direction (could hit straighter than a full shot :eek: ) but found trying to judge distances quite hard.

is it just a case of gaining experience and trial and error on how much more or less the ball will go or is there a rule of thumb on this? I was often bang on target but overshooting and undershooting distances.

For example on one shot was 163 yards from pin, felt like a 3 club wind so took my 3 iron (usually carries about 195), ball further back, gripped down, abbreviated follow through, straight at the pin- hit back fringe and bounced through another 10 yards so was a good 20 yards away from pin.

why not just hit a normal 3 iron shot if its a 3 club wind?

are you not supposed to take more club, with a punch shot , hit it lower with less spin

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Because the wind was that strong I wanted to try and keep it under it?

i play in windy conditions most of the time and only time i play to keep the ball down with a punch is 150 yards or less, but mostly 100.

if its a 3 club wind i take at least 3 or 4 clubs more.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me it's generally 2 clubs (or 20yds) shorter than a full shot.

The tricky thing is judging how much an x club wind will affect it, because the reason for choosing that shot is that the wind will have less of an effect!

Example. I have 8 iron distance to the target in a 3 club wind, so that's a 5 iron punch shot. But the wind will affect the lower shot less so I might hit 6 iron.

It's one of those things you need to learn through experience. Ideally seeing how far they go compared to a full swing with no wind about or on a launch monitor.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The tricky thing is judging how much an x club wind will affect it, because the reason for choosing that shot is that the wind will have less of an effect!

Example. I have 8 iron distance to the target in a 3 club wind, so that's a 5 iron punch shot. But the wind will affect the lower shot less so I might hit 6 iron.

It's one of those things you need to learn through experience. Ideally seeing how far they go compared to a full swing with no wind about or on a launch monitor.

Thanks that gives me a good starting point to work with... will also look at using LM to record a few clubs.

might have been a honeymoon period but I was hitting them that straight it's something I might consider without wind if there's no danger at the front- albeit I know it will run a fair bit more

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

my experience is different to yours then, myself and anyone i play with always hits more club to punch the ball not less.

but what do i know i only play on a windy links course:rofl::rofl:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Trial and error......simple as that. There is no formula I'm afraid.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But he's hitting more club ;-) instead of an 8 iron he would hit a 5 iron into a 3 club wind but with the low punch he's expecting the wind to make less a difference so takes the 6 instead of a normal high 5- if that makes sense?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
But he's hitting more club ;-) instead of an 8 iron he would hit a 5 iron into a 3 club wind but with the low punch he's expecting the wind to make less a difference so takes the 6 instead of a normal high 5- if that makes sense?

i don't agree, most of what people call punch shots and knock downs are hit short distances and have more spin, its the spin thats the killer with strong wind.

what i use and guys i know hit low runners with more club, soft hands, so not generating any spin, the ball won't carry that far but runs.

if you are trying to carry 165 yards you need to get the ball a certain distance in the air, punching it is going to generate spin, prob more than a normal shot would with more club..

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
my experience is different to yours then, myself and anyone i play with always hits more club to punch the ball not less.

but what do i know i only play on a windy links course:rofl::rofl:

What did I write to suggest I'd hit less club for a punch shot into the wind?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i don't agree, most of what people call punch shots and knock downs are hit short distances and have more spin, its the spin thats the killer with strong wind.

what i use and guys i know hit low runners with more club, soft hands, so not generating any spin, the ball won't carry that far but runs.

if you are trying to carry 165 yards you need to get the ball a certain distance in the air, punching it is going to generate spin, prob more than a normal shot would with more club..

So a 30° club hitting the ball at 70mph will generate more spin than a 38° club at 80mph?

Or am I misunderstanding what you're calling a knockdown/punch?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
What did I write to suggest I'd hit less club for a punch shot into the wind?

a 3 club wind, a 5 iron so hit a 6?

So a 30° club hitting the ball at 70mph will generate more spin than a 38° club at 80mph?

Or am I misunderstanding what you're calling a knockdown/punch?

All the talk of punch shots and knockdowns are described as ball back weight forwards and hit down on the ball, this will generate spin allowing the ball to check up. all the descriptions i've seen of this are for short shots, so essentially chips, which is fine. Ive never seen anyone hit a long punch shot over 160 yards, not mortals (non tour pro) anyway

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
a 3 club wind, a 5 iron so hit a 6?

All the talk of punch shots and knockdowns are described as ball back weight forwards and hit down on the ball, this will generate spin allowing the ball to check up. all the descriptions i've seen of this are for short shots, so essentially chips, which is fine. Ive never seen anyone hit a long punch shot over 160 yards, not mortals (non tour pro) anyway

I take everything back and just be thankful that I play on a course with trees and stuff away from the coast. No wonder I never do any good on real golf courses.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Ive never seen anyone hit a long punch shot over 160 yards, not mortals (non tour pro) anyway

I'm surprised at this to be honest considering most of your golf is played on links. It's a shot I use a lot when playing into the wind.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm surprised at this to be honest considering most of your golf is played on links. It's a shot I use a lot when playing into the wind.

nope, either just hit more club or a low runner for those shots. i only know one guys that plays a sort of punch, but he does that for all shots even down wind:rofl:

its all links, hardly ever play parkland TBH

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Whenever I play Links it's also a shot I find having to hit a number of time - 4/5irons 150/160 low piercing into the wind then 3/4 irons from 170/180

As Gary said - not a perfect science just finding what fits

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is this not a language barrier issue going on. I consider punch shots and knockdown shots as very different types of shots.

Knockdown shot is for into a strong wind where I play with very soft hands and partial swing/sawn of follow through - not easy for me to describe. idea is for a low shot with little spin that will roll out almost as much as it carries.

A punched shot is very different in my world and used only for shorter distances 120 in. It is a little lower than a full shot but it generates a lot of back spin. Hit aggressively of the back foot with a sawn of finish. PW at most but used mostly for SW and GW

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
Is this not a language barrier issue going on. I consider punch shots and knockdown shots as very different types of shots.

Knockdown shot is for into a strong wind where I play with very soft hands and partial swing/sawn of follow through - not easy for me to describe. idea is for a low shot with little spin that will roll out almost as much as it carries.

A punched shot is very different in my world and used only for shorter distances 120 in. It is a little lower than a full shot but it generates a lot of back spin. Hit aggressively of the back foot with a sawn of finish. PW at most but used mostly for SW and GW

I see it the opposite to you. Descriptions I'd copy, just tag them the other way round. In my language a punch shot would be the bigger distance shot fired under the wind, 2-3 clubs more than required.

A knockdown would be that of a closed(ish) face, lower trajectory than normal, but big spin to check and almost stop with little roll?

It's a funny old game isn't it.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see it the opposite to you. Descriptions I'd copy, just tag them the other way round. In my language a punch shot would be the bigger distance shot fired under the wind, 2-3 clubs more than required.

A knockdown would be that of a closed(ish) face, lower trajectory than normal, but big spin to check and almost stop with little roll?

It's a funny old game isn't it.
Im with you.
Punch is full swing with more club
Knockdown is same club but lower flight.