working out distances on knock down punch shots

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I see it the opposite to you. Descriptions I'd copy, just tag them the other way round. In my language a punch shot would be the bigger distance shot fired under the wind, 2-3 clubs more than required.

A knockdown would be that of a closed(ish) face, lower trajectory than normal, but big spin to check and almost stop with little roll?

It's a funny old game isn't it.

Don't mind as much that you or others see it as the opposite. What I see more on forums are the two terms being used as if they are the same thing

J5MBF

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't mind as much that you or others see it as the opposite. What I see more on forums are the two terms being used as if they are the same thing

Wasn't a dig if it read that way. I agree, they are not the same shot IMO, two different types.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
To control the ball into wind I....

Hold the club near the bottom of the grip
Ball in the centre of a narrow stance
Swing half way back and half way through GENTLY.
Use 2 extra clubs so a 6 iron for a normal 8 iron shot
3 extra when its blowing your hat off

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To control the ball into wind I....

Hold the club near the bottom of the grip
Ball in the centre of a narrow stance
Swing half way back and half way through GENTLY.
Use 2 extra clubs so a 6 iron for a normal 8 iron shot
3 extra when its blowing your hat off

Apologies for my poor vocabulary but this was the shot I meant :D

PS I still don't think a punch shot is a high spinny one... neither does Looooook!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVHlJoSS9l4&list=PL2845430916F319FD&index=11

I'd say my follow through is shorter than his and I keep my hands lower throughout.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I take everything back and just be thankful that I play on a course with trees and stuff away from the coast. No wonder I never do any good on real golf courses.

Like 36 hole opens on links courses you mean........ :whistle:

You're explanation is exactly how I do it, although tbh I tend not to do it from very far out and just hit a "normal" shot with a few clubs more.

Then miss the green, chip on and 3 putt usually :rofl: