Woods - would you miss him?

Have you ever had a hole in one

• Total voters

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Given the overtaking of the Poulter thread with Mr Woods, I just thought I'd ask the question:

Would you miss really miss him if he stopped playing tomorrow?

Personally, I wouldn't miss him one iota. Far too many players 'give in' as soon as he either tees up or takes the lead, and this spoils golf as a spectator sport.

Interested to see what others think.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I woods. In My opinion he is out of this world as a golfer. Those who think he is a boring person dont know him. Dont know him.

golfcitydweller

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
wouldn`t miss him ! we would have had some great finishes i he hadn`t been playin ..golf would be a great spectator sport again ..sunday night past was boring !!prize money would probably go down as well ..euan

daveyboy17

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tiger is the best by a mile he is what all these pros strive for if woods was european would we be voting on this post hee hee :) lol all play well

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I think it would open golf more to other players and give the game more competition as with tiger there is none which makes watching golf being when he is on and winning.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Its like what Schumacher was in Formula One - brilliant yet efficiantly dull with flashes of excitement.

Can't knock the boy for being brilliant at his job.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
As a golfer I have nothing but the uttmost respect for him. For the last umpteen years or so he's set the golfing benchmark that others have been so desperate to reach.

I think if Woods were to hang up sacred wands tomorrow it'd be a very sad loss to the game.

As a person I don't know the bloke so I feel unable to offer any comment. However the one thing that cannot be disputed is his record on the golf course.

DHM.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I find Woods an asset to world golf, same as Seve, Nicklaus, Player, Faldo, Hogan etc.
As for dull, the man hits the ball a country mile, gets psyched up when he sinks a raking 40 footer, holes from off the green or plays a wondershot from the rough. How more exciting do you need? The only place he falls down a little is off the course, but then again does he need to be controversial and call people cheaters or blame the course to be an exciting sportsman? Surely the sport ends at the 18th green? Ryan Giggs is one of the most dour (sp??) interviewees off the course but give the man a ball and he has his oponents by the balls literally!
By the way I support liverpool but still think giggs is a good player.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The game would be poorer for his absence. Since Woods came on the scene prize money has sky rocketed, attendances at tournaments he plays in are up-and of course we love seeing him beaten in the ryder cup.

MikeTimbers

Medal Winner
Visit site
How could anyone not miss the most dominat player of his generation? He's not boring because he makes mistakes - especially off the tee - but his iron play is phenomenal and his short game the envy of every other pro in the game.

My biggest complaint over televised golf is that we see tee shots and greenside but rarely do we see the guys hitting second shots. Those are the ones where Tiger is second to none and where he can be seen conjuring shots that only Seve could play.

I'd miss him but even if he breaks Nicklaus's record, I'll still think of Hogan as the "greatest" golfer ever.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Love him or hate him the man has pushed golf forward into the public awareness in a way which none of the others since The Greats have done.

He's taken the levels of fitness, mental and physical dedication and passion up to those comparable with other high profile sports which at a professional level means it moves dramatically away from being thought of as an alternative to darts and towards an alternative to cricket. (I love darts, don't get me wrong , play as much as I can but a game that can be played between pulls on a Guiness and a B&H in a boozer isn't a 'proper'sport, no matter how much I may wish to kid myself it is).

He's knocked out what IMHO is one of the most honest, down-to-earth and forthright instructional books of the last 10 years.

He is, for the most part,a gracious looser and a passionate winner- something many on the tour could do with taking a long look in the mirror at.

Alright, he plays a mechanical and some might say automaton-like game but he still comes over to blightly and plays on a links in the p1ssin rain and wind like the rest of us golf-struck idiots even though it must be like playing on the second planet in the Ursa Minor Beta system compared to his usual tracks.

He knows where the game has come from, something of its roots and history and he metaphorically doffs his cap to the stalwarts of the sport that have come before while knowing EXACTLY which side his bread is buttered.

He hasn't to my knowledge ever had a whinge about the game placing 'too much emphasis on putting' like another illustrious ledge-end was once known to do.

He sets a high benchmark that with the exception of a few well noted and documented episodes in a sport formulated on fairness, equity and gentlemenly behaviour. He is on course to be the most proficient documented participant of a sport that is scrutinised and analysed constantly for so much as a sniff of cheating.

He has literally 'raised the game' which should encourage, enthuse and fire a truly competative spirit in those with a desire to win.

All I really hear in the press is the same bunch of whispered back corridor rumours from the over-privilaged, slack @rsed, droopy jowelled cognoscente of the tour miffed at having their nice little earner taken away from them. There's no smoke and mirrors going on here- he's kickin' their butts out there because (horror of horrors) he is on balance MUCH BETTER THAN THEM.

If they don't like it then they need to raise their game or berk off out of it and let some new blood have a shot.

At least Poulter has the cohonas to put the challenge out to his face, if somewhat ineptly- here's a tip Ian- don't run for president.

..and i'm not even a particular fan of Tigers either.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What are you asking here toon? Are you asking that we take a few clubs away from tiger.

Did the boxing gods make Ali fight with one arm behind his back?

Would F1 make the likes of Shuey drive with 3 wheels?

I think Tiger is great for the sport the only unfortunate thing about him being so great is that the rest behind him who dont care and dont have the same drive as him still make a small fortune for comming second...........

I think it's up to the rest to catch Tiger and not Tiger to slip down to their level.

Keep it up Tiger!!!!!!!!!!

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Well, I put this in the Poulter foot in mouth topic but I suppose it fits in here nicely. Oh, we need someone like Tiger every now and then, it takes the sport forward.

The way I look at it, Tiger is a fair amount ahead of the best of the rest. Is that because Tiger is so good or is it because the rest are not the best of the rest.

I think it’s because there is a void of top players and I’ll tell you why. When other players win it’s usually because Tiger is playing poorly, not because their playing to a higher level. Yes the other players are good, but others have not moved forward and if Poulter thinks his game will improve then well and good.

I could go through a few different sports where the dominant one becomes boring simply because he’s the dominant one.

I want to see a player take on Tiger and beat him by playing better than the best Tiger, not because Tiger has a bad weekend.

That’s why it’s easy to say Tiger is boring…….it’s the rest really.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Tiger is on another level.

Whatever people may say about Nicklaus / Player / Hogan being better or more natural player, the simple fact remains that Tiger is smashing his way through all their records.

If Nicklaus' Majors haul is overtaken, then like it or not, Woods will be the greatest golfer to have walked this earth.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
The guy's a living legend, a great crowd drawer...........oh, and he's one hell of a golfer. IMO there's nobody better at the allround game than Mr Woods.
Just look at the spectatators that follow him around the course when he plays. A tornament featuring Tiger is sure to pull in the crowds.

I read the fella put up with much bull during his rise to brilliance owing to his colour. He obviously refused to quit and progressed to being one of the most recognisable sportsman known in the world.

I'd certainly miss the man.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I want to see a player take on Tiger and beat him by playing better than the best Tiger, not because Tiger has a bad weekend.

I've got no axe to grind on this one. A thought has come to mind, and it's late and and I can't really be bothered to search for the answer as I'm sure that some of you will know, but how does Tiger perform in matchplay when it really is a case of him directly against another player?