Woods - would you miss him?

Have you ever had a hole in one

• Total voters

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As mentioned above with Schumacher, he totally bored people away from F1 just like Tiger does leading into the final day of any comp.

schumacher Never bored me nor does tiger. I always like schumachereven when he raced at benneton and didnt win much.

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
Tiger is on another level.

Whatever people may say about Nicklaus / Player / Hogan being better or more natural player, the simple fact remains that Tiger is smashing his way through all their records.

If Nicklaus' Majors haul is overtaken, then like it or not, Woods will be the greatest golfer to have walked this earth.

don't agree with this.

Woods might be the best there has ever been but just because he wins more majors than nicklaus does not make him the best.
I would say nicklaus won his majors and other tournaments against more better players than there are now.
I would have thought (and i might be proved wrong(again)that in nicklaus time there where more players with multiple major victory's than there is now.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You'll not be surprised geronimo to know I disagree with your statement :)

In my opinion, once we have all been and gone and no one is able to over subjective commentary, then records & majors are the only things that really measure the greats.

Nicklaus' feat was thought to be insurmountable (his longevity most probably is) but if Tiger does get past him then the record books will tell their tale.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
As mentioned above with Schumacher, he totally bored people away from F1 just like Tiger does leading into the final day of any comp.

schumacher Never bored me nor does tiger. I always like schumachereven when he raced at benneton and didnt win much.

And why was F1 viewing at a all time low when Schumacher was racing after his 100th ;) consecutive win? Why is the last day of any golf comp that Tiger is leading viewed so little? I just think having competition in any game is a bonus, but when you dont have that like now when one person rules by so far there really is no challenage.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
well the master is at it again,65 that was effortless,willing to bet big gob poulter does not get within 4 today and 8 over the 4 days.....just me and tiger....give us a break you clown.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why when tiger is at an event does the majority follow him around!! ~Because they like his golf. Tiger woods has more fans then any golfer because he is a better golfer and more people enjoy watching him regardless of the opinions of a handful of people on this forum. you only have to open your eyes.

also i strongly disagree with geronimo, Tigers record. He set himself against good golfers. Vijay, ernie, Mickleson, furyk et ok you telling me these guys arent as good as jacks day?? Reason being tiger makes them look worse because He has more titles, he composes and focuses himself on the course to a high standard.

Take hoy lake for instances. Look at the way he won that. Some people said it was boring..

Whats boring about watching a golfer hit long irons off the tee and long irons off the fairway, and to putt the way he did that weekend was absolutely phenomenal.

how on earth was that boring. Dont you think it made a change to not see 100 golfers hit driver then wedge all weekend long. I think it was more than interesting. and learned a lot along the lines of course management, consistency. At the same time i was appreciating the Worlds best ever golfer play some of his best ever golf. And im proud to be alive to witness that day he won the championship in truly fantastic style.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What are you asking here toon? Are you asking that we take a few clubs away from tiger.
Keep it up Tiger!!!!!!!!!!

Erm, I thought, in true Les Dawson style, the clue was in the question?

I was wondering, given the oft-opined polar views on him on various threads, what the general consensus would be if he stopped playing tomoorow.

And I still say Woods, regardless of what he goes on to win, will never better Nicklaus. Nicklaus played against a better quality (as opposed to the quantity) of player by and large. He also did it in an era when equipment was gash compared to today, courses were tougher and there was hardly any concept of modern sports science princicples, particularly around fitness, rehabilitation and nutrition like there is now. He also had an infinitely superior mathcplay record and Ryder Cup.

Can you honestly imagine Woods doing what Nicklaus did to Jacklin in '69?

If Woods can win a major at 46 and come 6th at 58, then I'll give him due 'props'. If he can do it and thrill in the same way as the Golden Bear did, then I'll put him up there.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
And I still say Woods, regardless of what he goes on to win, will never better Nicklaus. Nicklaus played against a better quality (as opposed to the quantity) of player by and large. He also did it in an era when equipment was gash compared to today, courses were tougher and there was hardly any concept of modern sports science princicples, particularly around fitness, rehabilitation and nutrition like there is now. He also had an infinitely superior mathcplay record and Ryder Cup.

Can you honestly imagine Woods doing what Nicklaus did to Jacklin in '69?

If Woods can win a major at 46 and come 6th at 58, then I'll give him due 'props'. If he can do it and thrill in the same way as the Golden Bear did, then I'll put him up there.

All points that Woods would no doubt be amongst the first to agree with TA. its not Woods that puts Woods on a pedastal and proclaims him to be the best ever. That's the fault of a media that needs 'copy' to fill its coffers. it has and will continue to do so until such time as people stop buying into it.

As MWJ has pointed out I too would 'prefer' a european, an Englishman, A Scot or an Irishman to be at the top of the game (lets be honest- if Andrew Murray bests Federa he will do so under the banner of Scotland- and why not).

I would prefer this not because I particularly dislike Woods or indeed America but simply because it would probably be quite healthy for someone from these areas to move the game forward for a while.

Irrespective of what I might prefer, what I positively insist on is that whoever is the best has become so in the spirit in which the game for formulated and on which a broad consensus adheres. For the moment Woods happens to fill those shoes and perhaps it's worth savouring the moment while it lasts, it will pass soon enough, as all things do.

I would love to have been able to make my own value judgement about Big Jack but I'm afraid I spent most of his tenure wondering if Zippy was going to be nasty to Bungle again or trying to work out why it was that I was developing an interest in Pans people and Hot Gossip and not really understanding.

Tiger is a different generation's Big Jack.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
All points that Woods would no doubt be amongst the first to agree with TA. its not Woods that puts Woods on a pedastal and proclaims him to be the best ever.

I would love to have been able to make my own value judgement...but I'm afraid I spent most of his tenure trying to work out why it was that I was developing an interest in Pans people and Hot Gossip and not really understanding.

First part is entirely fair and in Woods' defence, most of the gushing and problems appear to be created by those around him.

Second part - class :D

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Its a thread about woods and I am entitled to my views as anyone else, I would suggest if you do not like freedom of speech you read a different thread once you take you head out of Tigers arse. ;)