Woburn, which courses?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Potentially arranging a small trip for my big 22+18 and I’m torn between cinque ports & St. George’s or two possibly three rounds at Woburn.

If we chose to only do two rounds, which are the better of the three courses?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All 3 are good courses in their own right, if only playing 2 I would personally play the Marquess and the Dukes, it may be because the Duchess beats me up every time! The Marquess is the most forgiving and different of the 3 courses with the other 2 being more similar and for me the Dukes is a better all round course than the Duchess

That said all 3 are cracking courses and you may not actually have the choice depending on the dates you go there depending on if they are hosting a tournament on one of the courses and/or doing maintenance

D

Deleted member 15344

My personal opinion would be the Cinque Ports the RSG

At Woburn the two I would choose is the Dukes and Duchess but the Dukes and Marquess is a good choice as well

D

Deleted Member 1156

All 3 are good courses in their own right, if only playing 2 I would personally play the Marquess and the Dukes, it may be because the Duchess beats me up every time! The Marquess is the most forgiving and different of the 3 courses with the other 2 being more similar and for me the Dukes is a better all round course than the Duchess

That said all 3 are cracking courses and you may not actually have the choice depending on the dates you go there depending on if they are hosting a tournament on one of the courses and/or doing maintenance
Wot he said 👍

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
I've only played the dukes and duchess. I seem to remember the duchess
being rather tight!! Dukes a good course though.

The Woburn hotel in Woburn village is worth a look if you're staying over. Food and bar was very good. Enjoy!!

D

Deleted member 21258

Duchess felt one dimensional to play to me and very similar feeling/looking holes.

I would pick Marquees and then Dukes every time.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I would honestly go for the RCP and RSG option. I was seriously impressed with both even if we did get blown around.

Woburn is lovely too but it’s just not as good.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Personally my two favourites are the Duke's and the Marquess. The Duchess is very very tight at the moment, a mate of mine who's a member, and 7 handicapper does nothing but moan about how tight and impossible it has been of late as they have been letting the trees and bushes grow out. Marquess can be wet in the winter, but with the recent weather, I think you'll find it pretty good nick. It is long, but I've always enjoyed playing it. The Dukes is a nice course and probably my favourite of them all, albeit a marginal win over the Marquess. It just holds a lot of nostalgia, especially playing the par 3 third after I used to watch Seve playing it on TV.

D

Deleted member 1418

RCP and RSG would be my first choice - fantastic links golf with good pubs and hotels in Deal.

Woburn is great and really tough to choose 2 out of the 3, but the 2 I've enjoyed most are the Dukes and Duchess.

D

Deleted member 1147

The Marquess is a typical long parkland course - reminded me of my place, so I felt pretty much at home.
The Duchess is a very narrow tree lined course, not unlike Forest Pines in it's claustrophobic feel
The Dukes - I've not played, but looks good on TV

brfcfan

Visit site
I have said it on here before, RCP is the most overrated course in the UK, but I am in the minority it seems. If its really windy your special day will be spoilt because RCP becomes a joke, added to the fact its not been in good enough condition to warrant its ranking on the 3 occasions I have played it. If you like a few blind shots and trust to luck as much as skill then go for it.

I too am playing 1 round at Woburn this year and will be playing Dukes, looks like the most traditional and best of the 3. Dont know if you knew but they are holding the Ladies British Open on the Marquess so if you time your visit right you could find a course in amazing condition.