Women’s British Open - Courses near Milton Keynes

Neeko1988

Visit site
Hi All

I am going to the women’s open on Saturday 2nd August and I’m looking at staying over nearby and playing a round on the Sunday morning. Can anybody recommend a course between Milton Keynes and Birmingham that would be good play and possible to get a Sunday morning tee time.

Don’t mind the cost really if the course is worth it. Also if anybody knows any reasonable hotels near Woburn GC that would be welcomed aswell

Thanks
Chris

D

Deleted member 21258

We stay in the Travelodge near Woburn and not far from the M1 when we play there. Not bad for a Travelodge and always been fairly cheap.

Sorry do not know the area between Milton keynes/birgminham for golf courses. Am a member of a course in Staffordshire www.bdgc.co.uk but on sunday morning, its members guests, so probably no good from your post.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pink palace Milton Keynes south (Caldecott Lake) is fine. About 10 mins from Woburn. Liverpoolphil or Imurg will be your tourism officials to ask

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Course wise, Aspley is fantastic (I'm playing it in 30 minutes time) - not sure if you'll get on without a member on Sunday morning though but absolutely worth trying.

If not, I can recommend any of the following:

Abbey Hill (MK)
Aylesbury Vale (Just outside MK)
Whittlebury - on the way to MK
Staverton (Daventry - on the way)

In terms of hotels, there are plenty of chains around for cheap deals

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hotels wise if you want to stay in MK itself then Woughton House (Woughton on the Green) is probably as nice as any (and the pub across the road is decent for food). Otherwise in central MK the Jurys Inn is fine as is the Holiday Inn Express. Expect you may struggle to get in any of the places in Woburn itself

Golf wise the area is relatively limited and not many places you will get on on a Sunday morning (like anywhere). Expect the likes of Abbey Hill and Three Locks you'll be able to get on (but theyre not the greatest!), you should be able to get on Aylesbury Vale (better but still nothing special) from 11ish onwards unless they have a comp on. You may be better doing part of the journey home and getting a slightly later tee time nearer to Birminham en route?

Neeko1988

Visit site
We stay in the Travelodge near Woburn and not far from the M1 when we play there. Not bad for a Travelodge and always been fairly cheap.

Sorry do not know the area between Milton keynes/birgminham for golf courses. Am a member of a course in Staffordshire www.bdgc.co.uk but on sunday morning, its members guests, so probably no good from your post.

I’m from Cannock, always wanted to play Beau but never been able to get on, I’m a member at Lilleshall.

Thanks for all the replies that gives a lot to go off.

D

Deleted member 21258

I’m from Cannock, always wanted to play Beau but never been able to get on, I’m a member at Lilleshall.

Thanks for all the replies that gives a lot to go off.

Your not far from me, I live a distance from BD as live in Shropshire. If you fancy a game at some time let us know.

Have a great trip. Its a nice walk around Woburn and a reasonable price for tickets.:cool:

D

Deleted member 15344

Places to stay- the normal purple palaces in MK , there is a redwings in Hocklife on the A5 about 5 miles from Woburn , pretty basic

As for golf on the Sunday morning - most of Members courses don’t have visitors morning - so it’s prob pay and play time and the choice in the area isn’t great -

Aylesbury Vale is in decent condition but a bit out of the way , there are places like Three Locks and Abbey Hill but they will be rammed

I think your best bet could be Whittlebury Hall - you could even get yourself and play and stay deal

Or possibly look further up the M1 or M40 for a game later on the Sunday - around Banbury has Tadmarten Heath they may take a green fee afternoon or you look around Northampton area - Collingtree etc

You could even look at Studley Wood bear Thame and then up the M40