..with x blobs (why?)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are 3ngames out there - in stroke play competive golf these are...

1. Medal
2. Stableford
3. Par (bogey) - which is quite representative of matchplay capability

You are handicapped to stableford. Can't escape that one!

Most people are relatively better, or worse, at either medal or par scoring off their handicap. Can't escape that one either.

People referencing score & blobs are, as already mentioned, simply trying to show how much better it could have been combined with a smattering of 'you wouldnt have stood a chance against me in a match that day'!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played with someone who got 36 points with 6 blobs

Shows they have the talent to be a lower handicapper and if they just pulled it together a bit would be off a lot less

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One of my occasional pp does this a lot. It does irritate me, I confess. Your score is your score. Trying to make it sound better than it is, every time, is a bit childish.

Yep :thup:
'If only for those blobs... caused by 3-putting, hitting that tree, flubbing that chip, going O/B, thinning that wedge' etc (delete as appropriate)

In other words, if only you were a better player or played better shots or employed better strategy etc... :whistle:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Shows they have the talent to be a lower handicapper and if they just pulled it together a bit would be off a lot less

:mmm:
:eek:oo:

Good better ball partner :)

D

Deleted member 16999

Yep :thup:
'If only for those blobs... caused by 3-putting, hitting that tree, flubbing that chip, going O/B, thinning that wedge' etc (delete as appropriate)

In other words, if only you were a better player or played better shots or employed better strategy etc... :whistle:
So if someone holes a 2nd from the fairway or gets a hole in one or an eagle on a shot hole, etc and scores 36 points should they moan that without a bit of luck they might of got 0.1 back and aren’t as good as their score suggests :confused:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
:mmm:
:eek:oo:

Good better ball partner :)

Funny you should say that.. I played in a better ball tournament a few weeks ago and played against the winning pair

My mate who plays off 13 but smashes the ball a country mile.. if he drove like it everytime would be off 5 but when he’s wide he is very wide.. and his partner a 10 handicapper who scores about 33 points a round.. captain consistent

My mate could just go wild as he wanted whilst his partner got the points.. fair few birdies helped his efforts no end

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So if someone holes a 2nd from the fairway or gets a hole in one or an eagle on a shot hole, etc and scores 36 points should they moan that without a bit of luck they might of got 0.1 back and aren’t as good as their score suggests :confused:

Haven't come across many people who moan about having good luck :confused:

Lots of good luck (apart from the very obvious) probably goes unnoticed

Obviously having a bit of genuine (good or bad) luck is different to talking about having blobs because of mistakes etc - the 'if only's that are actually down to the person's ability/level and the reason we're not all off lower handucaps

Does every post need to be qualified to save you from (choosing to?) misinterpreting 😴

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Funny you should say that.. I played in a better ball tournament a few weeks ago and played against the winning pair

My mate who plays off 13 but smashes the ball a country mile.. if he drove like it everytime would be off 5 but when he’s wide he is very wide.. and his partner a 10 handicapper who scores about 33 points a round.. captain consistent

My mate could just go wild as he wanted whilst his partner got the points.. fair few birdies helped his efforts no end

Yeah it can be a good mix of styles 👍

D

Deleted member 16999

Haven't come across many people who moan about having good luck :confused:

Lots of good luck (apart from the very obvious) probably goes unnoticed

Obviously having a bit of genuine (good or bad) luck is different to talking about having blobs because of mistakes etc - the 'if only's that are actually down to the person's ability/level and the reason we're not all off lower handucaps

Does every post need to be qualified to save you from (choosing to?) misinterpreting 😴
Only need the negative ones clarified :thup:

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some of my pals have this habit... they'll often qualify their scores by saying how many blobs were included (as if that's a good thing)

This seems quite common on here too

But why? :confused:

To my way of thinking the fact there's blobs is bad not good :(

I suppose it's another way of saying they played well for a lot of the holes and if not for those mistakes they'd have done well

But to my way of thinking it probably means the medal (proper golf 🎣) scores would be worse (maybe considerably so), had kind old Mr Stableford not let them off the hook ;)

Is it just me?

Maybe this should be in the minor irritations thread but I'll just leave it here for discussion...⛳

Now with this thread you are going to wake the Murph. This will be right up his street

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Totally agree with shortgame on this one. It really is almost a badge of honour if you got 36 points with two blobs and better than just scoring 36 points. If you're off 18, it means you've made a triple bogey or worse.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It always astounds me that such minor things can raise a scratch let alone an irritation in anyone. Its one of the most common said things post round. I'm glad it does not irritate me, otherwise I would be permanently irked

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know I have often talked about the number of bad holes I have had. When you have had 16 holes of par or better gross it is quicker and easier to talk about the couple of bad holes.

Saying you had 5/6 birdies in a round sounds a lot more boastful when you have not been asked how many you had.

D

Deleted member 18588

I don't understand this habit which has only crept into the game in recent years.

But then I have to admit that to me there are only two forms of golf that entered me.

Medal play or match play.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The one I laugh at is when some says 38 points and blobbed the last

Or 39 and went 1 point 1 point for the last 2.

People act like the points at the end of the round are worth more than the rest 🤣

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The one I laugh at is when some says 38 points and blobbed the last

Or 39 and went 1 point 1 point for the last 2.

People act like the points at the end of the round are worth more than the rest 🤣

In other words... they choked :whistle: :lol: