..with x blobs (why?)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
;)

Let's assume both are board comps, open to all h/c's

that would be easy then.... We don't have any board comps as such and the only name that goes on a board would be the club champion which is scratch only. none of our silver Trophy are stableford ..so the winner would be -4 of the handicap section of what ever trophy it was;)

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
General question (not loaded):

A) 40 points with 0 blobs
B) 40 points with 2 blobs
C) Medal score of nett -4

How do you rank them?

All the same?

C is the correct answer

A&B are meaningless games as far as I am concerned. Stableford should only be used for pub outings where there are clearly guys who can't play the game as it should allow them to pick up and move on and help the pace of play

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
that would be easy then.... We don't have any board comps as such and the only name that goes on a board would be the club champion which is scratch only. none of our silver Trophy are stableford ..so the winner would be -4 of the handicap section of what ever trophy it was;)

We have boards comps at our club nearly every week, normality all the old seniors to be fair. I think it's called drafts or checkers

D

Deleted member 16999

C is the correct answer

A&B are meaningless games as far as I am concerned. Stableford should only be used for pub outings where there are clearly guys who can't play the game as it should allow them to pick up and move on and help the pace of play
Nice effort :thup: all 3 cards can show same gross score so sort of makes your point mute.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think it just helps add meat to the descriptive narrative. I scored 36 points could mean a steady round, it could mean 9 great holes and 9 poor ones so by mentioning the number of blobs you are merely giving a more detailed description of your round without going into massive amounts of detail.

I suppose there is also an element of 'the one that got away'. Saying you scored 36 points indicates an OK round, saying you had 36 points with 4 blobs says that you had 14 great holes and you are happy enough but the score could have been that much better.

Cannot see the problem myself.

That's it for me. If at the end of a stableford round I am asked 'how did it go?' (and we usually are) - the points might say something like 36 - and that's indicative of me playing above my norm. So good. But if I have also blobbed 4 holes then I have actually played well above my norm. Telling my 'inquisitor' that I scored 36 points does not really tell the story of 'how did it go?'

D

Deleted member 16999

true but what a round that would be and that's why it's the best form of golf proving stableford is a poor format for golf
They are different formats, that’s all, we prefer one over the other, it doesn’t make the other poor.

D

Deleted member 21258

true but what a round that would be and that's why it's the best form of golf proving stableford is a poor format for golf

For me I think medal is actually the most boring format to play golf in. Even though that is the format I have scored best in.

Whereas stableford is a far more exciting game, I can just go for every shot. Which normal leads to worse scores, blobs and lost balls but I would have had some fun.

If medal works for you, that's grand and enjoy it.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nice effort :thup: all 3 cards can show same gross score so sort of makes your point mute.

Indeed, however I would argue that medal is (for many) slightly harder than stableford, slightly more pressure - you haven't got that 'get out of jail free card'

For this reason, I think -4 medal would have a slightly better chance of winning than 40 points and is a slightly better score

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 16999

Indeed, however I would argue that medal is (for many) slightly harder than stableford, slightly more pressure - you haven't got that 'get out of jail free card'

For this reason, I think -4 medal would have a slightly better chance of winning than 40 points and is a slightly better score

Thoughts?
Your talking about bragging rights, all 3 cards as stated can lead equally to a cut or a win.

Personally prefer medal comps, just don’t view stableford as some poor relation.

Scratch comps are the only real indicator of true ability.

Handicaps simply make the game all inclusive.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Your talking about bragging rights, all 3 cards as stated can lead equally to a cut or a win.

Not really, just think that maybe a medal score of -4 is maybe 1/2 a shot better than 40 points (with or without blobs) and maybe has a slight more chance of a 'W'

Interested in other opinions

Personally prefer medal comps, just don’t view stableford as some poor relation.
Same here, prefer medal but stableford has its place for sure. Incidentally our group(s) usually have a side sweep on our individual stableford scores which works well

Scratch comps are the only real indicator of true ability.
Indeed, but excludes most of us from meaningful participation

Handicaps simply make the game all inclusive.

Absolutely, wonderful invention, one of the things that sets this great game apart

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For me I think medal is actually the most boring format to play golf in. Even though that is the format I have scored best in.

Whereas stableford is a far more exciting game, I can just go for every shot. Which normal leads to worse scores, blobs and lost balls but I would have had some fun.

If medal works for you, that's grand and enjoy it.

Fair points, I just find the slightly more challenging mental aspect of medal more appealling

There's no right or wrong answers, just opinions

Proving to be quite an interesting discussion 👍👍