Winter handicap vs summer handicap

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Okay so I don’t strictly mean handicap but more how does your game differ in winter vs summer.

Does the weather and ground conditions affect your swing and scores? On average do you have an extra shot on each hole or maybe only a couple over a round? You find it harder in the winter than the summer?

...or do you play the exact same only wetter and colder?!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we use the same handicaps, but have no Q comps in winter.

You can shoot much lower scores in winter as the Course is easier on the whole with all but a handful of the tee's in front of the boxes. real difference is the 7th, 500 yard par 5 into the wind, becomes a par 4 from 488 yards!! and 17 becomes a 175 yard par 3 from a 377 par 4. so a couple of shots easier

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
It can easier in the main, maybe only putting is harder on slower bumpier greens. Maybe also there should be a consideration for winter handicaps?
Giving loads of shots away in w/league over short course is a nonsense. A case in point is our 2nd today becomes a 440 yard par 5 vs a 520 or so in the summer. 3rd 110 yard par 3 today. 200 in summer. It’s been known to give shots on both :eek:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
It can easier in the main, maybe only putting is harder on slower bumpier greens. Maybe also there should be a consideration for winter handicaps?
Giving loads of shots away in w/league over short course is a nonsense. A case in point is our 2nd today becomes a 440 yard par 5 vs a 520 or so in the summer. 3rd 110 yard par 3 today. 200 in summer. It’s been known to give shots on both :eek:

But you know that could happen before you enter so you should just suck it up! :rofl:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i play well below my handicap in winter. errant drives dont bound into deep rough, thin iron shots get loads of "thin spin" on the sogy greens and you can pick and place.

the only thing i struggle with is chippy onto soggy green not knowing how the ball is going to react

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
But you know that could happen before you enter so you should just suck it up! :rofl:

;) either that or get all the games in autumn/spring. It’s only the chompers that wanna play on a short course with 5 temps. ‘Sorry can’t play in October, but I’m free in Jan’:eek:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
i play well below my handicap in winter. errant drives dont bound into deep rough, thin iron shots get loads of "thin spin" on the sogy greens and you can pick and place.

the only thing i struggle with is chippy onto soggy green not knowing how the ball is going to react
We’ve got optional winter fairway matts. They are horrible things, but they turn you into a short game god. It’s like darts when the greens are soft!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
;) either that or get all the games in autumn/spring. It’s only the chompers that wanna play on a short course with 5 temps. ‘Sorry can’t play in October, but I’m free in Jan’:eek:

Nothing like hard fairways and frozen winter greens to even up the odds! :D

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seriously, though, different winter conditions affect my game in different ways. Ball doesn't fly so far but can often still drive it further due to lots of run on frozen fairways but that means winter greens and massive bounces on approach shots. The rest of the time I lose distance when the ground is softer but greens are very receptive and courses tend to be shorter anyway. I've played three times in our winter roll up and 36 points is the worst I've done so I'd say winter handicaps should be lower than summer ones.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site

But then it wouldn't be winter league and do you mean Chopper ?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

We have a 4BBB league and average score is about 46 per round.

We don’t other anymore, the par 5 are so short it’s silly - one is under 400yds!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst it's different conditions, imalsomexperience different conditions at other times during the year; the time it tips down on the club championship, blows a gale on this cup or that etc etc

Anyhow, think I've played my 3Q for the year already - so back to matches (and the odd senior event) now.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Unless we're on temps, the course is exactly the same length, give or take, as it is in the summer.
This makes life hard in the winter as there's precious little run on the ball, which goes less distance anyway.
CVG struggles immensely in winter as he's not a big hitter, as does Fragger to some extent.
You have to take longer clubs to get the distances and make longer carries. All of which, generally, leads to less consistency - the up side being very receptive greens
So, if anything, we need a couple of extra shots in the winter!

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Probably 3 or 4 shots more - the course length doesn’t change with a few alternative tees but being parkland there’s no run at all unless it’s frozen. Winning scores in the roll ups can be 31/32 pts :eek:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I was younger most of my cuts in handicaps came in winter, probably because distance was not important then nut more from the fact that I could fire at the flag with absolutely certainty the ball was going to stop within a yard.

Now in my older years it has become the other way round, the loss of distance is notable and the amount of clothing I have to wear to keep warm (mainly because of using a buggy) has meant putting a good swing on is very difficult.

D

Deleted Member 1156

We’ve got optional winter fairway matts. They are horrible things, but they turn you into a short game god. It’s like darts when the greens are soft!

Speak for yourself mate :(

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Swing and roundabouts Played 4bbb this morning course lovely , greens bit soft we shot 2 under gross and got beat 5&4.
One of my strengths is my putting but on soft greens it’s a lottery.
just enjoy being out but not buying the drinks afterward.

Course plays easier because it’s shorter and all hazards are carryable.
putting is harder imo because slower, don’t break as much. Bumpy.