Winter handicap vs summer handicap

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My scores have maintained about the same really. I'm hoping that means I've got slightly better at golf while the conditions get harder which means in summer I'll be in great shape but probably wishful thinking! I just have to mentally adjust club lengths to account for less distance in the air and no roll on the greens. My course is public course though, always open, so the worst thing is when you miss a green and end up in a patch of churned up mud. Quite difficult to chip accurately out of that. Also today the bunkers were just rock hard from all the rain yesterday, couldn't get under the ball at all so that was a nightmare.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was expecting the answer to be more shots in the winter. But doesn’t seem that straight forward. Big factor looks like winter greens. If they’re on then it’s less likely to have more shots but if they aren’t on then it does seem to impact performance.

Im looking forward to summer. Less layers, less mud, less wind, and an increase in physical comfort which should aid the concentration better! Hopefully take some shallower divots too!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We run qualifiers throughout the year (conditions allowing) so only one handicap. No courses around here have two separate handicaps. It's hard playing in the winter with the course at full length but worth the hassle in my mind