Will you resign your membership to be a nomad with an official handicap?

Will you resign your golf club membership to be a nomad with an official handicap?

• Yes

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • No

Votes: 94 86.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 9.2%

• Total voters

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes, I think it would be nice to take a year out, play different courses, entering opens etc and see how it goes.
Would probably stay a social member of current club (£10.00 pa).
I'm seriously considering this, we are up to the £1000 per year. This past summer I played 1 club competition and about 15 rounds total for a £40 a round course. Can only play when kid duties allow and dont get to practice at all. With the new handicap system I'm off 2 so have to turn up cold once a week at best and try play to it, to be then nowhere near any places when people are chucking 40+ points in weekly and frankly not enjoying it so wont miss comps anyway.
Few new courses and no feeling of not getting my moneys worth if I dont go sounds appealing for now.

sunshine

Visit site
I think this could be attractive if most of your golf is mid-week, and if you have a group of friends to go nomad with. If most of your golf is at the weekend you really need to be a member to get a game (especially in winter). At least where I live.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suspect that if it went through then clubs would charge a higher green fee to visitors that are not members of a club. particularly if handicap maintenance (ie pre registration and certified score entry) has to be done at that club.

sunshine

Visit site
I suspect that if it went through then clubs would charge a higher green fee to visitors that are not members of a club. particularly if handicap maintenance (ie pre registration and certified score entry) has to be done at that club.

Supply and demand.

If a club is struggling and desperately needs green fee income it will not raise prices.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hopefully clubs will stipulate "member of a golf club" as condition of entry to their Opens...

Discuss ?

Delaying the inevitable and alienating potential customers. Will be fine for some clubs and have little affect on them, less so for others that will suffer if they do so. The split is not much different to those who will lose members if/when nomad handicaps come in and those who will be just fine ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Hopefully clubs will stipulate "member of a golf club" as condition of entry to their Opens...

Discuss ?

I sort of agree

I can understand that some can’t justify the cost of membership but would like a handicap to be maintained

But I don’t think it should be something that people can use to take advantage of cheap opens

But entry into certain charity events etc should be ok

So I can see the clubs protecting themselves a bit by stipulating that entrants must be members of a golf club

D

Deleted member 16999

Might suit some of our Cat 1’s, no chance in majority of weekend competitions, some don’t play in the winter, plenty of Opens available at weekends in the summer around the North.:unsure:

Rather than stating Clubs might have to do this, that and the other to protect themselves, maybe some will have to think outside the box to improve their offer, ie, the discussion on here about 5 day/7 day memberships, differences in fees by gender, age etc. Even offering a 2nd Club affiliation membership to get around those Clubs insisting on people being members of Clubs to enter Opens.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From my experience, very many Clubs run Opens to just raise money so have little concern for the credentials of those who walk away with the money. This is backed-up by the fact that hardly any, well none I know of, return the scores of the money winners, to the Home Club.
I'm afraid Clubs do little to address the problem of 'Bandits' at Opens. They're still popular as folk generally treat them as a cheap way to play at other courses, which is fair enough. However they should also have a chance to be a winner.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am not a nomad. Simple as that.

Being a member of the club I am at gives me ample opportunity to play other clubs at no or little cost. Reciprocal golf, county card and club matches.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I strongly suspect that some clubs will make membership of a Golf Club a condition of entry for their opens

A comment that may well be taken in to consideration where I play . We have yet to discuss what we will be doing with regard to the loss of C status and this is another factor which will probably get discussed.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Discuss ?
There's plenty of Bandits in Golf Clubs....... better let the Nomads give them a run for their money. I think most folk just enter Opens for the chance to play other courses at a cheap rate...... little chance of winning anything.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No. I am a club member, not a course member and so I support the club as a whole. I have a great collection of friends, plenty of comps, a decent enough course and practice facilities. Why would I give all of that up to be a nomad, especially with Covid making harder to get a game as a visitor. I simply don't see any benefit in nomadic golf, even with an official handicap and a chance to play opens.