Will you resign your membership to be a nomad with an official handicap?

Will you resign your golf club membership to be a nomad with an official handicap?

• Yes

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • No

Votes: 94 86.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 10 9.2%

• Total voters

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting to gauge how memberships will be effected by this change.

I play circa 6 opens a year but for me club completions and club membership is what I enjoy the most.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It does give me another option as I am not currently a member anywhere. The idea of being signed in by mates for social rounds and playing a few open comps as well is pretty attractive to someone who has limited time to play so does not get full value out of a seven day membership.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
nah...I put a high value on being a member of a golf club...golf for me is not just hitting a ball round a golf course - I've been a member of clubs for so long now that for me membership of a golf club is just part of my way of life. My wife might also hate it if I wasn't...:)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
It does give me another option as I am not currently a member anywhere. The idea of being signed in by mates for social rounds and playing a few open comps as well is pretty attractive to someone who has limited time to play so does not get full value out of a seven day membership.

There will be a decent number of people in this situation.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There will be a decent number of people in this situation.

Hopefully it may make a few clubs look at membership structures and offer an alternative. It was not what I could afford but what I could justify and once it hit £1000 (which my old club was about to) then I could not justify what I was paying. In my last year, I lost pretty much every weekend from October to March with bad weather (not the club's fault but an impact on my perception of value) and as I did not even get to play every weekend, it seemed a lot to spend. I will hold off until March and look at my options.

Interestingly, since the pandemic, a number of clubs near me are also bringing back the joining fee and one has made it clear that if you left when the pandemic started, you need to be back as a member before the end of this membership year or you will be charged it.

D

Deleted member 21258

Will be interesting to see the complete details over this. I will probably be transferring my handicap shortly.

If there is an option to be able to submit cards online from whenever or whatever course I play and wish to score on, I would be up for paying the £50 and have the England golf manage my handicap online. Far better for me than transferring to another club and having a club manage it and the pain of supplementary cards/playing comps and not being able to easily submit cards from other courses.

So ticked maybe.

D

Deleted member 15344

Hopefully it may make a few clubs look at membership structures and offer an alternative. It was not what I could afford but what I could justify and once it hit £1000 (which my old club was about to) then I could not justify what I was paying. In my last year, I lost pretty much every weekend from October to March with bad weather (not the club's fault but an impact on my perception of value) and as I did not even get to play every weekend, it seemed a lot to spend. I will hold off until March and look at my options.

Interestingly, since the pandemic, a number of clubs near me are also bringing back the joining fee and one has made it clear that if you left when the pandemic started, you need to be back as a member before the end of this membership year or you will be charged it.

The problem is 99% of members clubs price their membership to allow them to bring in enough money to allow the club to keep going and improving

Lots of people would like flexible memberships and then just play during the summer for example but then how would the club make up the loss of revenue etc

It is always hard for clubs and golfers alike to when it comes to the winter aspect

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
The problem is 99% of members clubs price their membership to allow them to bring in enough money to allow the club to keep going and improving

Lots of people would like flexible memberships and then just play during the summer for example but then how would the club make up the loss of revenue etc

It is always hard for clubs and golfers alike to when it comes to the winter aspect

Flexi memberships may become more prevalent if clubs lose members. We had a massive surge in flexi members (circa 100) this year and it was quickly capped.

If all clubs started to offer flexible schemes,
people may decide to stop being a full member at one course, and be a flexi member at 3 and pick and choose where to play golf in Winter.

The dynamics of club membership are changing.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was a nomad for a good number of years, work, kids, commitments meant I couldn't get out more than once a month on average. Since being a member my game is vastly improved. I pay roughly £88 a month for membership it's on average £30 for a green fee around my way give or take a tenner, I play at least once a week so over a month I'm saving £40-60 a month by being a member. Plus having a handicap and playing in comps for me is just gravy.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Fully agree and I am more than aware of all of this. I did not find it to be good value and left. it was not just the winter aspect, it was paying for the use of a facility for 7 days that I could only use on 1 day so not good value to me.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
You have to be a member at a golf club to have access to a WHS handicap. So no.

I love my club - £27 a month for my age group.. (green fees £22) literally pays for itself in a week!

Edit: Just read the letter on another thread.

I think its a good thing for societies that are possibly sat wondering what they can do for their members handicaps going forward, I've seen plenty of people postign questions on here relating to their societies and managing handicaps now were using WHS.

A club like mine with really low membership fees shouldnt struggle. The most a membership at my course costs is £44 a month. 2 rounds a month pays for your membership and you get all the added benefits of the club too. Still a no brainer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Yes, I think it would be nice to take a year out, play different courses, entering opens etc and see how it goes.
Would probably stay a social member of current club (£10.00 pa).