Will Tiger play in the 2022 Masters?

Swango1980

Visit site
Good post

Why is Tiger so liked? I’ve just read Hank Haney’s (his former coach) book on him and doesn’t seem likeable as a person - even in his regular interactions with former college teammates, regular people and I’m aware of the documentary and other book detailing all of those serial affairs

He has perhaps the least charisma and personal charm that I’ve witnessed from any sports star I’ve ever seen interviewed…and he’s not remotely funny nor engaging

Sure, he’s indisputably one of if not the best golfers ever…but I’d still argue that (like Rory) he and Phil dominated when his key rivals were Jim Furyk, a generally past his best Singh, and Els.
The strength of the elite rivals in the late 80s early 90s and the post 2016 years is far greater than the years 2000-2015..

Of course, I did want him to win down the stretch in 2019 and I’m glad he did it. But apart from a bit of focus on him this year-it clearly is a story that he may be playing this year at Augusta - I want the media to focus on the best golfers who are challenging for wins…I couldn’t care how marketable Scottie Scheffler is or isn’t — if he’s challenging at the Masters for a win and he’s No 1 in the world then I want the sports news to focus on him

According to Haney in The Big Miss, Tiger always played percentage golf and would win through consistency and consistently scoring 68,69,70 etc, rather than the heights of 63 — so to me, when people talk of the excitement and thrill of Tiger’s golf, I don’t understand it (relative to Seve / Greg Norman’s ability to go very low and play mesmerising golf etc)

If Tiger is not an interesting, engaging nor charismatic and obviously not nice person, and his golf isn’t as ‘exciting’ (but generally avoiding big mistakes) then why all the knicker-wetting?
I think you answered your question in that sentence. Many fans are drawn to certain sports people primarily by what they do in their sport, not necessarily how they are as a person. I agree, the likes of Tiger Woods or Lewis Hamilton are not engaging in interviews, and they may not be the sort of characters who I'd be mates with if the opportunity arose (although many of us have friends who are not brilliantly charismatic, or have friends that other people would not find likable).

Also, I don't know what the comparison is between Woods and Greg Norman or Seve. Woods usually played a restricted schedule, and I think has shot 9 rounds 62 or lower. However, that is not really the point. For me, excitement in golf is nothing to do with how low a golfer scores. McIlroy may scrape the cut, shoot 4 over on a Saturday and then shoot a 60 on the Sunday to finish 5th. The 60 is a great round, but certainly does not fill me with excitement. I am much more drawn to the players that are at the top of the leaderboard, and how they fight their way to finish there. There have been many legendary rounds were a golfer has shot a higher score, but finished top. Tiger was able to do it consistently. Nearly every time he played, he was pretty much always up there when he was at the top of his game. It was fascinating to watch. We all know how we crumble when the pressure gets to us in our monthly medal after a good start. Fatting an approach shot at the wrong time, thinning a chip, missing a couple of 4 footers, etc. We see the same things happen to the pros (well, relatively speaking, not quite as horrific as us). So, it was something to behold to watch Tiger in his day, with all that attention on him, hold his nerve and execute those big shots time and time again.

There is no doubt all the current players who are top of the world will get plenty of attention going into the Masters. There will be plenty more attention on Scheffler than he is used to, even if Tiger is playing. But, Tiger is a legendary figure in the game, and legends always get media attention.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Apparently Jack won't be playing in the Par 3. Not exactly a deal breaker but a bit of a shame. Hope someone can get a Shot Tracer on Watson out driving Player on the 1st tee

sunshine

Visit site
Why is Tiger so liked? I’ve just read Hank Haney’s (his former coach) book on him and doesn’t seem likeable as a person - even in his regular interactions with former college teammates, regular people and I’m aware of the documentary and other book detailing all of those serial affairs
Don't think you can take Haney's opinions without t a pinch of salt. He's always seemed fairly popular with his fellow pros, popular with waitresses in diners too...

He has perhaps the least charisma and personal charm that I’ve witnessed from any sports star I’ve ever seen interviewed…and he’s not remotely funny nor engaging
I find him really charismatic. He has always had an aura around him which has everybody hanging on every word he says. Even when the words of a wary, media-trained athlete are very bland.

Sure, he’s indisputably one of if not the best golfers ever…but I’d still argue that (like Rory) he and Phil dominated when his key rivals were Jim Furyk, a generally past his best Singh, and Els.
The strength of the elite rivals in the late 80s early 90s and the post 2016 years is far greater than the years 2000-2015..
Bit harsh. I think we saw a transition in golf during the Tiger years as the players upped their game to compete with him. The golfers of the 2000's were way better than those of the 90's - they just had to settle for 2nd place a lot. I also think the golfers of the last 10 years are better than those from the 2000's.

According to Haney in The Big Miss, Tiger always played percentage golf and would win through consistency and consistently scoring 68,69,70 etc, rather than the heights of 63 — so to me, when people talk of the excitement and thrill of Tiger’s golf, I don’t understand it (relative to Seve / Greg Norman’s ability to go very low and play mesmerising golf etc)
Plenty of occasions when Tiger went really low and lapped the field. You need to look at some of his scores!

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm kind of torn between I really couldn't give a flying if he does or doesn't. I think now there are far more exciting, likeable, competitive, worthy players to watch and follow.

He'll always be a golfing legend but right now I'm not really bothered if he plays in the Masters or Open.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Im expecting a full gastronomic breakdown of the sandwiches and a mark out of 10 for each
BBQ is great, as is the club, as is the chicken salad. Classic chicken is pretty meh. And then of course we come to the famous pimento cheese...

Not that good at all. Sloppy cheese mayo, between 2 very cheap looking pieces of white bread. 3/10.

It was a good day out and whilst I always think $80 for a polo shirt is crazy, it's probably in line with most US pro shops. The quarter zips were $95, which is not too bad imo. Hats $30, so again, pretty similar to any pro shop.

And finally, yes it is hilly. Very hilly. We all know about certain holes (9, 10, 18), but there are some that shock you compared to how flat they look on TV. 1 for example is mad compared to how it looks on the TV.

It was crazy how many people you saw bumping into friends. It shows just how insular the ticketing policy is. And about 50% of the people going through the gate in the morning, all had Masters clothing/hats on. With the ANWA being day 1 of 2022's proceedings, all of these guys must have been before, or known someone who has.

A good day out and I would thoroughly recommend it.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Twitter account on this morning :
"I will be heading up to Augusta today to continue my preparation and practice. It will be a game-time decision on whether I compete."

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Told you....Tiger turns up wearing FJ shoes and social media is going ape:poop: about it...:rolleyes:

He'd get the attention regardless but the acute drought of 'form' from those in the world top 30 must have the media scrambling for any kind of story ahead of the first major
(wouldn't surprise me if that same thing wasn't motivating Tiger to 'give it a go' After all based on current form, who does he actually need to beat!)

phillarrow

Visit site
Nope, the Masters is unlike any other PGA event, in that it is invitation only. Past champions automatically on the entry list as invites, and will remain so unless they confirm otherwise. They could withdraw on the morning it starts.

If he withdrew today, would they give his space to the next person on works rankings?
If so, is that Richard Bland?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
BBQ is great, as is the club, as is the chicken salad. Classic chicken is pretty meh. And then of course we come to the famous pimento cheese...

Not that good at all. Sloppy cheese mayo, between 2 very cheap looking pieces of white bread. 3/10.

It was a good day out and whilst I always think $80 for a polo shirt is crazy, it's probably in line with most US pro shops. The quarter zips were $95, which is not too bad imo. Hats $30, so again, pretty similar to any pro shop.

And finally, yes it is hilly. Very hilly. We all know about certain holes (9, 10, 18), but there are some that shock you compared to how flat they look on TV. 1 for example is mad compared to how it looks on the TV.

It was crazy how many people you saw bumping into friends. It shows just how insular the ticketing policy is. And about 50% of the people going through the gate in the morning, all had Masters clothing/hats on. With the ANWA being day 1 of 2022's proceedings, all of these guys must have been before, or known someone who has.

A good day out and I would thoroughly recommend it.

Appreciate the reviews!

Ive heard a lot about the famous Pimento Cheese, but often that it fails to satisfy. :ROFLMAO: Its so cheap though - you have to give it a go as part of a proper Masters experience!

I dont think those prices are too bad at all! Glad you had a great day out!

D

Deleted member 15344

He'd get the attention regardless but the acute drought of 'form' from those in the world top 30 must have the media scrambling for any kind of story ahead of the first major
(wouldn't surprise me if that same thing wasn't motivating Tiger to 'give it a go' After all based on current form, who does he actually need to beat!)

it’s very rare that many “top” players hit the Masters in a rich vein of form - it’s still early in the season where most are just warming up and don’t want to peek early

The likes of Rahm , DJ , Koepka , Hovland have shown periods of great golf

Woods will always be motivated to do his best and for other players if the spotlight is on him it will allow them to prepare quietly behind the scenes and then if Woods does play and then misses the cut the others will be nicely set

But right now the overreacting within the media even on what shoes he is wearing is just the expected media attention Woods gets - thankfully it’s easier enough to mute or switch off now