Will Tiger play in the 2022 Masters?

sunshine

Visit site
I couldn't tell you who won the Texas Open yesterday, but I know Tiger wore FJ shoes for a practice round. I haven't been googling Tiger, it's just what people are talking about on here and instagram. The guy is pure box office and the Masters is way better with Tiger on the prowl (another cliche for thread bingo).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I couldn't tell you who won the Texas Open yesterday, but I know Tiger wore FJ shoes for a practice round. I haven't been googling Tiger, it's just what people are talking about on here and instagram. The guy is pure box office and the Masters is way better with Tiger on the prowl (another cliche for thread bingo).
Not interested in TW shoes and why so I turned over and didn't bother going back. And won't until masters is underway as it seems that this is the sort of stuff I'd have to sit through. That said...good luck to him if he plays.

Swango1980

Visit site
..................... or to possibly make it even more about him?
It does make me chuckle when a person has unbelievable talent, achieves what virtually no other elite sportsperson in their field could come close to achieving, and then when they get huge attention from media and fans, somehow it is all about their own ego. Some people just love to think the worst in people. However, even if he is only in it for the attention he worked damned hard to become potentially the greatest golfer of all time to get there. So, fair play to him either way.

I suspect he is there because golf flows through his veins, much more than even the most keen of us. He can walk again, he can hit a golf ball, and so he has thought he'd love to give it a go. He's pretty old now, so why wait?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not interested in TW shoes and why so I turned over and didn't bother going back. And won't until masters is underway as it seems that this is the sort of stuff I'd have to sit through. That said...good luck to him if he plays.

I tuned in yesterday to try watch a bit of the practice and it was a Tiger fest! Had to turn it off. I know it's Tiger and it's great to see him walking again after his incidents off the field :unsure: but the love in is a little (lot) too much.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
..................... or to possibly make it even more about him?

It's a carefully orchestrated and calculated move by Woods. He knows the 'noise' that he creates. A single post announcing his intentions probably eliminated more than half the field as contenders. The remaining half not only have to contend with their own preparations but also field questions about Woods - they're no longer thinking solely about themselves. Do you think Woods is thinking about anyone else? It's a brilliant move, at least mentally, that puts him top of the field (golf is as much a mental game as a physical game); physically is where the doubts lie but the reality is he's given himself the best possible chance he can - and why shouldn't he. I think it's a genius move. I mean, if I was Scheffler I'd be raging - best player on the planet right now and there's minimal fuss. McIlroy - no-one's really that bothered. Morikawa? Smith? Rahm? Minor stories. His current odds means that he's worth a punt; albeit I don't believe he can do it, but, if he makes the cut, stays close enough on Saturday then I'd certainly expect others to panic on Sunday knowing that he's lurking (imagine if he birdies the 2nd on Sunday - what impact does that roar have on the other players?).

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Was it Sky showing all this Tiger coverage?

I watched the 2hr US 'on the range' show and for the first 70 minutes Tiger barely got a mention. None of the 7 or 8 players interviewed on the range were asked about Tiger, they were asked about their game/prep etc. Faldo had more screen time as he wandered from player to player for a chat (he wasn't even doing his broadcast work)

Once Tiger came out to putt then chip etc then yup there was plenty plenty focus on him but up to that point it was minimal with the focus firmly on the players who were on screen

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
It's a carefully orchestrated and calculated move by Woods. He knows the 'noise' that he creates.

I mean, if I was Scheffler I'd be raging - best player on the planet right now and there's minimal fuss.

Or, he'll be delighted!!! Turn up, get on with his prep, no intrusions while the Tiger Show is raging at the other end of the range. :unsure:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am genuinely interested in why Tiger was wearing Footjoys. It's not exactly a great selling point for Nike if he felt their shoes weren't comfortable enough. I have a pair of Nike's and they seem alright to me. Wife loves hers!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I am genuinely interested in why Tiger was wearing Footjoys. It's not exactly a great selling point for Nike if he felt their shoes weren't comfortable enough. I have a pair of Nike's and they seem alright to me. Wife loves hers!

Footjoy have a fitting system that selects a shoe most suitable for your needs/swing. Maybe he’s been on that ??‍♂️

Swango1980

Visit site
It's a carefully orchestrated and calculated move by Woods. He knows the 'noise' that he creates. A single post announcing his intentions probably eliminated more than half the field as contenders. The remaining half not only have to contend with their own preparations but also field questions about Woods - they're no longer thinking solely about themselves. Do you think Woods is thinking about anyone else? It's a brilliant move, at least mentally, that puts him top of the field (golf is as much a mental game as a physical game); physically is where the doubts lie but the reality is he's given himself the best possible chance he can - and why shouldn't he. I think it's a genius move. I mean, if I was Scheffler I'd be raging - best player on the planet right now and there's minimal fuss. McIlroy - no-one's really that bothered. Morikawa? Smith? Rahm? Minor stories. His current odds means that he's worth a punt; albeit I don't believe he can do it, but, if he makes the cut, stays close enough on Saturday then I'd certainly expect others to panic on Sunday knowing that he's lurking (imagine if he birdies the 2nd on Sunday - what impact does that roar have on the other players?).
A lot of thought went into that post, but I think you are trying to overthink it. Almost like a conspiracy theorist. Tiger's intent is to eliminate most of the field as contenders? That in itself sounds garbage. In fact, I think it could bring many big players into contention, given there is less attention and focus on them.

Also, how on earth does Tiger turn up to play at the Master's and stay under the radar? He probably had a journalist watch him leave his house, and as soon as his car was vaguely pointing towards Augusta, started writing up their exclusive.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Has it been confirmed yet if his socks were Footjoy also ? And not just grainy telephoto lens stuff, but a confirmed report from a reliable source. Its the next big story to break I think.