Will Tiger play in the 2022 Masters?

4LEX

Visit site
Tiger crawling out of his hole to get all the attention before saying he won't play. Or worst starting and withdrawing. Embarrassing Augusta have allowed him to overshadow the event.

Never been a huge fan of Tiger as I got into golf when he was washed up and have only seen him win one major. If you look at a lot of his major wins they were won playing pragmatic and defensive golf. Irons or 3 woods off the tee, hitting the middle of greens and keeping it safe. He's the golf version of Jose Mourinho with less personality.

Swango1980

Visit site
Tiger crawling out of his hole to get all the attention before saying he won't play. Or worst starting and withdrawing. Embarrassing Augusta have allowed him to overshadow the event.

Never been a huge fan of Tiger as I got into golf when he was washed up and have only seen him win one major. If you look at a lot of his major wins they were won playing pragmatic and defensive golf. Irons or 3 woods off the tee, hitting the middle of greens and keeping it safe. He's the golf version of Jose Mourinho with less personality.
All this talk about Woods being a defensive golfer (relative to others, and therefore considered boring to some). Is this just not a myth? A lazy argument for Tiger haters to use to make them feel they have a point?

Just a scan at his Major wins, 5 of them were won by at least a margin of 5 strokes. In some of his biggest, he won the Masters by 12 strokes, US Open by 15 strokes and the Open by 8 strokes.

I'm not going through all his scores. However, up until 2015 Tiger had the lowest 72 hole Major winning score. That was beat by Day, and matched by Stenson and Dustin. However, Tiger was able to shoot low scores, and he was relentless. Sure, there would have been Majors he ground out. Not playing so well, but was able to at least shoot solid scores instead of awful McIlroy type rounds. You don't win 15 Majors and expect to win them all by a landslide. And, if a player has to dig deep, for me that is more exciting than a player who wins by about 10 shots anyway. Tiger did it all.

Last edited:

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site

You need to look up Lou Stagner on Twitter. Some amazing stats about Tigers game. From 1996 to 2021 Tiger ranked number 389 out of 535 tour pros (who played at least 250 rounds in that time).
He was anything but defensive.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Watching him on a stream hitting driver (TM Stealth). 300 yard carry on a few shots.

Whatever you think about Tiger (and there's things I don't like) his determination to come back from that injury is pretty impressive. I guess that's not the way he wanted his career to finish, andthat might have been motivation enough.

If he were to win I think we can all stop watching golf knowing we've seen it all. He most probably won't win, but then if anyone can, he can, especially round Augusta. Apparently he's hitting it well.
You do appreciate that Ben Hogan came back from surviving a much more serious car crash and injuries, as well as nearly dying of a blood clot while in recovery from surgery in hospital, to win the three majors of 1953 he played in. He couldn't play in the US PGA that year as it overlapped with the Open. If he'd been able to play in it good chance he'd have won all four majors of that year.

So anything Woods does from now has already been done, and done big some 70yrs ago.

Not denying or denegrating in any way what TW has achieved, but he's not unique in his recovery, and so whilst the fuss over his determination and recovery is understandable some perspective required. And Hogan provides that.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You do appreciate that Ben Hogan came back from surviving a much more serious car crash and injuries, as well as nearly dying of a blood clot while in recovery from surgery in hospital, to win the three majors of 1953 he played in. He couldn't play in the US PGA that year as it overlapped with the Open. If he'd been able to play in it good chance he'd have won all four majors of that year.

So anything Woods does from now has already been done, and done big.

I must be reading this in the wrong context... we're not really comparing/ranking the scale of accidents and injuries are we?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
So it seems you're either a Tiger fan boy or a Tiger hater, and there's nothing in between. :rolleyes:

I'm neither. It's the butt-kissers and weak minded tv directors I'm annoyed at.

Americans are culturally "more cheesey" than everyone this side of the pond. When I worked for Symantec in California I spent many hours explaining how this impacted Corporate Comms. They found it very tough to understand, as did the UK service desk in Gloucester!!

Eg. American: I'm super excited to be here!
Translation:
English: Good morning!

The TV interviews reflect this

Last edited:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
The Sky doc last night, Tiger Woods: Back, I didn't watch it all, I've seen it before but there's a lot of interesting things in it - Curtis Strange getting annoyed about his confidence / arrogance, Woods saying winning was all there is, and Strange telling him he'd learn to be happy with 2nd, 3rds etc.; Strange was ultimately wrong and clearly no-one had any idea of Wood's mentality then but his mantra is the same - he's there to win, if he doesn't think he can win, he wouldn't be there. It's the laser focus that's apparent in the eyes (my other half thinks he looks 'dead' in the eyes).

No-one, including the bookies, think he has a chance with the physical demands of 4 rounds and I don't think it's likely. Golf Digest (can I say that here!?) ranked all players in order, Woods is ranked 45th out of 91. If I go through the list (and I did because I'm sad) I think realistically there's about 30-35 players who can win it (includes surprises) - I think if we all had to pick 30 players we'd be pretty confident we'd have the winner. Basically, no one has to beat 90 other players, it's possibly the 'easiest' to win, so maybe that's why he thinks he can do it. Making the cut would be an achievement in itself. Golf Digest Masters Players Ranked

Every interview that I seen discussed Woods. Nearly everyone said it was a good thing as it removed focus and let them concentrate on their own game - come in under the radar. I know some agree, I don't necessarily think that, at some point it has to annoy these millionaire pampered sports stars that it's not about them. Hopefully someone blows up and has a good rant about it!

4LEX

Visit site
All this talk about Woods being a defensive golfer (relative to others, and therefore considered boring to some). Is this just not a myth? A lazy argument for Tiger haters to use to make them feel they have a point?

Just a scan at his Major wins, 5 of them were won by at least a margin of 5 strokes. In some of his biggest, he won the Masters by 12 strokes, US Open by 15 strokes and the Open by 8 strokes.

I'm not going through all his scores. However, up until 2015 Tiger had the lowest 72 hole Major winning score. That was beat by Day, and matched by Stenson and Dustin. However, Tiger was able to shoot low scores, and he was relentless. Sure, there would have been Majors he ground out. Not playing so well, but was able to at least shoot solid scores instead of awful McIlroy type rounds. You don't win 15 Majors and expect to win them all by a landslide. And, if a player has to dig deep, for me that is more exciting than a player who wins by about 10 shots anyway. Tiger did it all.

Lowest overall winning scores mean nothing as theres so many factors into play. He's pragmatic and that's OK. You only have to listen to him talk about a lot of his majors to hear him say exactly that. He learnt to win without taking huge risks. His ability was greater than anyone else, so he knew if he hit fairways he would win generally as his weakness was his driving. His strengths were his mindset and ability to grind out a score when it mattered. His golf IQ is the highest by a million miles.

I'm far from a Tiger hater, I wanted him to win the Masters in 2019. I respect his achievements and would put him in the Top 3 of all time. I just find it tedious how everything revolves around him given he's only won 1 major in over a decade.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
So it seems you're either a Tiger fan boy or a Tiger hater, and there's nothing in between. :rolleyes:

I watched Tiger hit a shot out of a bunker just before his accident. His tee shot only just rolled into the bunker leaving him with no stance inside it. I thought at the time, that's him stuffed. He stood outside the bunker and hit a fairway wood 200 and lots of yards onto or close to the green. It didn't matter how far or whether he hit the green it was audacious to even try it. After all these years he was still able to astound me with his ability to pull that off.

Of course my favourite TW shot is the chip on 16.

Not withstanding my admiration for the brilliance, the quote below sums up my feelings perfectly. I don't want a love in for any golfer, Tiger, Rory, even the GOAT, I want to watch golfers golf, and if I hear the phrase "Jaws of life" one more time there's a brick going through my screen.

I'm neither. It's the butt-kissers and weak minded tv directors I'm annoyed at.