Why is hitting a draw good?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re: Why is hotting a draw good?

I've been taught that the key is to have a consistent shot shape whether it be draw or fade. For me having started with a slice and been a bit ott I have found a nice draw as my swing path has developed and I'm happy with that plus the extra distance I now get.

My coach explained it this way to me - imagine the fairway is 3 lanes of a motorway. IF your consistent shape is a draw then you aim down the fast lane knowing that your margin for error if you overcook it is 2 lanes wide. Likewise if you fade the ball then down the slow lane with a 2 lane margin of error. If you hit it down the middle then the margin of error is just the 1 lane either side...

Works for me and if I commit to the fast lane aim then I commit to the shot shape that requires a draw and hey presto it draws - mostly !

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

I've been taught that the key is to have a consistent shot shape whether it be draw or fade. For me having started with a slice and been a bit ott I have found a nice draw as my swing path has developed and I'm happy with that plus the extra distance I now get.

My coach explained it this way to me - imagine the fairway is 3 lanes of a motorway. IF your consistent shape is a draw then you aim down the fast lane knowing that your margin for error if you overcook it is 2 lanes wide. Likewise if you fade the ball then down the slow lane with a 2 lane margin of error. If you hit it down the middle then the margin of error is just the 1 lane either side...

Works for me and if I commit to the fast lane aim then I commit to the shot shape that requires a draw and hey presto it draws - mostly !

That is so spot on. I was told that it does not matter what shape you hit the driver. What matters is most is that you can start it within the fairway like Amanda has said. If your shot shape means you have to start aiming into the tress to get your draw or fade to land on the fairway then you have problems.

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

i play with a power fade NO it is not a slice ,if i could only find a course set out like a spiral i would be scratch in no time.

I am with you on this, I want U shaped fairways, just think how good this would be, all you faders and drawers would have to go the long way round, me and papyt could take a shortcut :)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

There is so much mumbo jumbo in golf.

The face angle determines the initial direction of the ball. The swing path determines the shape of flight. This is fact.

So without manipulating the face, if it approaches the ball with 9.5 degrees of loft, on an in to out path, it will fade. If it approaches with 9.5 degrees of loft on an in to out path it will draw.

Yes, if you open the face, to effectively change the face angle, you will add loft, and the ball will not go as far. This is not how to fade a ball though. A fade should come from swing path, not face manipulation.

If you close the face angle, yes, the ball flight will be lower, (it still might not go as far as a well hit fade, as the flight will not carry as far). But to hit a draw you don't need to close the face.

A ball hit with 9.5 degrees of loft, at 100 mph, and 2000 rpm back spin, 500 rpm side spin, will not go a different distance depending on whether it is spinning right to left, or left to right.

Most people hit a draw further than a fade because their fade is hit with an open face, and increased loft. It does not have to be this way.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

The face angle determines the initial direction of the ball. The swing path determines the shape of flight. This is fact.

So without manipulating the face, if it approaches the ball with 9.5 degrees of loft, on an out to in path, it will fade. If it approaches with 9.5 degrees of loft on an in to out path it will draw.

Fixed that for you.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Anyway, to answer the original question......

With an iron shot and fairway woods the ball needs to be struck with a descending blow, this is most effective/consistent when delivered with a draw swing.

With a driver it is better to hit a fade as the ball is hit on the way up, in fact most tour drivers are fade biased (clubface sits a degree or two open)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Anyway, to answer the original question......

With an iron shot and fairway woods the ball needs to be struck with a descending blow, this is most effective/consistent when delivered with a draw swing.

With a driver it is better to hit a fade as the ball is hit on the way up, in fact most tour drivers are fade biased (clubface sits a degree or two open)

I think you will find that tour spec drivers are opened face as they are designed for better ball hitters. ie someone who releases their hands through impact thus squaring the face at impact. It is not that they are designed to fade the ball. Most drivers are designed with a closed face as a lot of club golfers do not release the club head properly through impact so it makes sure they do not hit the ball with an open face I think you will find.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I just want to be able to find it again after I've hit it. Draw, fade or any variations on those I'll take as long as I have a next shot without reloading or standing ankle deep in rough

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site

I have never heard so much rubbish as some of the posts on swing path. The correct swing path can only go one way. That is from In to square to in again. The ball is several feet to the side of you. Your body turns in a circular movement. So therefore so does the club. Just try this hold the club straight out infront of you and turn your body. What path does the club head take? it goes in a circular path. But as the ball is on the ground the club still takes the same path but on a angle. It is not straight back in anyway.

If you take the club straight back. this is one way to get an out to in swing path. Resulting in a push, fade, or slice. Depending on the face angle at impact.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I have never heard so much rubbish as some of the posts on swing path. The correct swing path can only go one way. That is from In to square to in again. The ball is several feet to the side of you. Your body turns in a circular movement. So therefore so does the club. Just try this hold the club straight out infront of you and turn your body. What path does the club head take? it goes in a circular path. But as the ball is on the ground the club still takes the same path but on a angle. It is not straight back in anyway.

If you take the club straight back. this is one way to get an out to in swing path. Resulting in a push, fade, or slice. Depending on the face angle at impact.

The issue is the difference between the direction the clubface points verses the direction the swingpath takes.
If the clubface is not square to the swingpath at impact then you will cut across the ball creating sidespin. The ball will take off in the direction the clubface points and curve to the right or left depending on whether the path is to the right or left of the ball.

Read up on 'D' Plane.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site

Thought you might reply Brian. I agree with you. Maybe I have not put it right. But read the posts on this tread? Some are just rubbish. i.e. In to out, with an open club face= a draw?????? That will give a pushed slice every day of the week. There are more like that

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Thought you might reply Brian. I agree with you. Maybe I have not put it right. But read the posts on this tread? Some are just rubbish. i.e. In to out, with an open club face= a draw?????? That will give a pushed slice every day of the week. There are more like that

I can't remember who said that but I'm sure they would have meant club open relative to the target, not swingpath. As long as the swing path is more in-to-out than the clubface is open then it will draw.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

Hallelujah! stated that earlier. I don't know a lot about swing theory (or anything else TBH) but common sense and basic physics aren't difficult

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

So without manipulating the face, if it approaches the ball with 9.5 degrees of loft, on an in to out path, it will fade. If it approaches with 9.5 degrees of loft on an in to out path it will draw.

Yes, if you open the face, to effectively change the face angle, you will add loft, and the ball will not go as far. This is not how to fade a ball though. A fade should come from swing path, not face manipulation.

If you close the face angle, yes, the ball flight will be lower, (it still might not go as far as a well hit fade, as the flight will not carry as far). But to hit a draw you don't need to close the face.

A ball hit with 9.5 degrees of loft, at 100 mph, and 2000 rpm back spin, 500 rpm side spin, will not go a different distance depending on whether it is spinning right to left, or left to right.

Most people hit a draw further than a fade because their fade is hit with an open face, and increased loft. It does not have to be this way.

It is not possible to create spin in two directions. You can only tilt the axis of rotation.

You are correct that the overriding factor for initial ball flight is the clubface direction. Any sidespin is created by the difference between the clubface direction vector at impact and the swingpath direction vector..

The ball understands nothing about the target, in-to-out, out-to-in, it only understands the way the clubface strikes it.

If anyone wants to understand the physics of ball direction then they should read up on the 'D' Plane or what has been refered to as the new ball flight laws.

For decades people have taught that you should aim the clubface in the direction you wish the ball to finish and swing the club along the direction you wish it to take off. With the use of high speed cameras this has been proved to be wrong.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

I agree there is no such thing as back spin, side spin etc, here is just a tilted axis of rotation. I have argued this ad infinitum on here before.
But, if you get a launch monitor session, they break this down into side and back spin. Why? No idea, but it makes it easier to understand I guess.