Why is hitting a draw good?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Re: Why is hotting a draw good?

A golf ball never has top spin. If it does it will duck straight into the ground.

The difference between a fade and a draw is the power of the shot created by the smash factor. To create a fade the clubface will be open, this creates additional loft that will send the ball higher, lose distance and the ball will land softer. A draw will reduce loft, create a lower more penetrating flight that runs out more giving extra distance.

Now it is possible to hit a 'power fade', which is more like a draw but creating the opposite side spin. This is the way Bubba, Fred, Lee and Jack hit the ball. A skillful fader will hit slightly out to in but will use a low lofted club and not allow the clubface to keep opening through impact. The average slicer allows the clubface to keep opening. A drawer of the ball will hit slightly in to out with the clubface aiming just a tad to the right.

Good post Brian, in fact I'll have to re-quote this line just so everyone reads it and remembers it...

A golf ball never has top spin.

:fore:

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org

My pro has taught me to hit a natural slight draw and the differences for me have been huge. I have easily gained 20 yards on iron shots and close to double on drives.

I have noticed that not only is it extra distance but a more powerful penetrating ball flight even into the wind.
1 hole today a 210 yd par 3 with an elevated green I really struggled to get to the fringe on a calm summers day with a slight fade but today I was 6 feet on the green into a 15mph wind and it was about 1 degree out there so the ball won't travel as far as when it's warm either.

If you hook then there will likely be a small flaw in your swing that once made aware of you will know why. The same applies for a slice.

But as my pro says its all about repetition. Without that you have nothing.

mc73

Club Champion
Visit site

I'd rather I could hot it straight as an arrow every time I teed it up than hit a draw or fade

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

The lads on tour that hit it right to left still get distance because it is what is known as the power fade. The usual club golfer hit a big high ballooned fade caused by not getting his hands through the ball at impact so loosing power. The lads on tour hit power fades as they still get there hands through the ball generating power, but leave the club head slightly open at impact.

The club golfer will normally always get the distance from the draw as it is caused by releasing your hands through impact generating higher club head speed, causing you to close the club face as you strike the ball. Either way who cares. Nice controlled fade, nice powerful draw. Does it really matter as long as you keep control of it. Go with what feels natural

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

I played with a draw for 2 seasons back in the last millennium.

I loved it!

A reliable draw off the big clubs is a great way to play, as long as you don't start pushing/hooking it too often.

As for irons, I personally like a small fade, but having both is tricky, so I guess straight wins...

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

The lads on tour that hit it right to left still get distance because it is what is known as the power fade.
Is that right? right to left is a power fade?

The club golfer will normally always get the distance from the draw as it is caused by releasing your hands through impact generating higher club head speed, causing you to close the club face as you strike the ball. Either way who cares. Nice controlled fade, nice powerful draw. Does it really matter as long as you keep control of it. Go with what feels natural
now I'm confused.....I thought most drawers of the ball actually hit from the inside with the face open a degree or two?

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site

RGDave I am confused also by the people who say they want to hit it straight or they hit it straight.... I have read and been told a number of times its harder to hit it straight than a hit a draw or a fade!?!

:confused:

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

now I'm confused.....I thought most drawers of the ball actually hit from the inside with the face open a degree or two?

Does that not result in just pushing it right?

papyt

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

i play with a power fade NO it is not a slice ,if i could only find a course set out like a spiral i would be scratch in no time.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

If the club head speed and spin speed are equal would not the distance also be equal?

Not necessarily IMHO, does a slightly open club face result in an increase in loft and a slightly closed one decrease it?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

No, left to right is a power fade.

They do.

Does that not result in just pushing it right?

No, the swingpath causes the ball to curve back to the left

daymond said:
If the club head speed and spin speed are equal would not the distance also be equal?
Yes, but they are not equal.

mc73

Club Champion
Visit site

Not necessarily IMHO, does a slightly open club face result in an increase in loft and a slightly closed one decrease it?

I'm sure it's the other way around! At least I'm positive I was told this.

Edit to add, it changes the effective loft when the club face is squared.

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yes I am being a . I need to learn to read before posting... I meant left to right is a power fade.

Last edited by a moderator:

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm sure it's the other way around! At least I'm positive I was told this.

Edit to add, it changes the effective loft when the club face is squared.

Go grab one of your irons, open the club face up, what happens to the loft? It increases

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Swing path this....swing path that.......when you start coming on the inside too much you start hitting a big ballooned left to right shot that increases the loft and causes it to go off to the right. Or you start snatching your hands through impact and hook it.

Hitting a draw.....If you hit it from swinging on the out to in then you are looking at having more of a pull than a draw, also a risk of leaving the face open hitting a massive slice. I do not swing from out to in I do not swing from in to out. Well not that much that it matters as no one really swings perfectly down the line. But hey I have a nice controlled powerful draw with the driver that is actually caused by my fast hand release through impact that closes the club face very slightly. I know this as I have been told by many Pros during lessons and even seen it on video footage of my swing.