Why is hitting a draw good?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Re: Why is hotting a draw good?

i was playing in a medal on sunday hit a hook, 10 yards left of the green, a 200 yardish approach with a 4 iron

my normal rection would have been a self diagnoses of a out to in swing with a closed face, next tee shot i would have tried to swing more in to out to correct,

However because of this post i looked at the divot which was straight, therefore concluded it was simply the club face being slightly closed.

Next teeshot regripped the club to open the face a little, tee shot down the middle

If id carried on with the my "old way" of thinking i would have no doubt exabarated the problem of my hook and my round could have gone downhill fast

Pretty good self diagnosis there!,

"hit a hook, 10 yards left of the green, a 200 yardish approach with a 4 iron"

.... to me it sounds like pretty square clubface at impact and in-to-out path (ball starts pretty straight and drawspin takes it to the left)

Fix = open clubface a little to start the ball further right and swing normally.

Isn't that just the beauty of it?... fixing shots without even seeing them ;)

I don't even care where your hands were at the top as it frankly DOESN'T MATTER :) LOL

MadAdey, what's your h/cap? Current or best.

Last edited:

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My bad shot either starts off dead straight and fades/slices right or is pushed right and fades/slices even further right.
So I understand the new ball flight laws, what is the fix of this? Is it swing path or club face direction? Or both?

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Evening all,

I've been playing for around 7 months, so I'm still new to the game.....but can somebody please tell me why people think that hitting a draw is good? What are the advantages

My pro keeps saying that I hit a nice draw...but I haven't even though to ask why that's good.

Isn't it better to hit it straight?

Thanks gents

You can talk to a fade, but a hook doesnt listen.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not that I want to answer the question twice....but here goes....

AND HERE'S THE PROOF... this is Michael Breed, world famous PGA instructor, probably as good as you're going to get on TV...you probably couldn't afford a lesson with him...getting it wrong :)

He's using the Bobmac technique, oops! I mean the old technique that is wrong, ..however his clubface never gets to where he thinks it will (he opens it unwittingly by HABIT) and blocks it right!!!....

[video=youtube;obgy1KrP6yk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obgy1KrP6yk[/video]

So even though he's practically set up to hit a 'snap hook' he actually barely gets any hook on the ball...(LOL)

Millions of viewers are now being taught the wrong way, pretty cool huh?

"It started a little bit to the right of where I wanted it to start" LOLOLOLOL

The thing I like about this video (it's blocked at work, but I'm sure it's the one) is the last few seconds where he's saying experiment with how far right you aim and how closed to that aim you get the clubface. Experimenting with how far right you aim and how closed the clubface is to that path is a great way to learn what actually happens in practice and how to create shots. Basically, if it's curving too much reduce that gap between clubface and path, if it's curving the amount you want and not finishing on target adjust your aim a bit.

Take someone who is hitting it straight and wants to curve it, assume a centred hit, no crosswind and level of attack:

Defining a draw is a shot starting right of target and curving back onto target, aiming right, but with the clubface open to the target and closed to the path is mechanically a simple way of achieving the draw.

Similarly aiming left and having the face open to that path, but closed to the target is a fairly simple way of hitting a fade.

There are other ways of creating these shots and tweaking the ball flight and it can be fun trying out what works for you and what you are capable of.

I like simple, it suits me; but if your looking for numbers (although your brain is more likely to like pictures and nothing beats practical experience) if you've got a 5 iron and aim yourself 5 degrees right of target, have the clubface 3 degrees open to the target and 2 degrees closed to the path; you'll get something approximating a draw. The ball'll start about 3 1/2 degrees right of taret (between clubface and path but closer to the clubface) and curve back towards the target (as the clubface is clsoed to the path).

P.s divot wise, a divot should occur after you strike the ball and since the ball is at the side you'll be swinging on an arc. If you accept that then it follows that the divot will be pointing in a slightly different direction than your path as travelling in (since the clubs continuining on it's arc).

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

@richy

From my understanding your shot that starts straight then fades is hit with the club face square at impact, but the swing is slightly out to in, across yourself, therefore causing the slice spin.

Your push fade/slice is casuded by the club face pointing to the right at impact with a swing that is across the path where the club face is pointing, so it may be a perfect in to in swing path or still slightly across yourself as above.

I think the cure is to strenghten your grip, closing the face a touch, and try to swing on a more in to out swing path..........?

Justone........

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

My bad shot either starts off dead straight and fades/slices right or is pushed right and fades/slices even further right.

Both shots are the same shape... starting straight and fading, so check your aim, one is probably more left/right that the other.

Then combat the fade spin by moving the ball back in your stance a fraction and have the hands pressed slightly forward at address (towards the target).

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

I think the cure is to strenghten your grip, closing the face a touch, and try to swing on a more in to out swing path..........?

You are right however the ball is already starting straight so we don't really want to close the clubface (which would make it start more left) so it's better to try and tweak the path (at setup) to reduce the spin.