Why is hitting a draw good?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re: Why is hotting a draw good?

Ok got it sorted. Now makes sence. Big thanks to Brian and the rest of you. Not forgetting you Bob. Really good this thread. We need more of this type lol.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Now, what happens if you swing a club across the ball at an angle but with the clubface pointing at the target ?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Ok I am going to put an ice pack on my brain and cool it down. I understand what they are saying in the videos as I have watched them several times over the last couple of days. Thing is I do not know who is right on this forum or is it me not understanding what they are saying:confused:

I understand that clubface in relation the swing will determine on what happens to the ball when it leaves the club. When I hear people going on about swinging in to out and out to in to make the ball draw and fade that is when I get confused by people. Also when I ask a question as this is very new to me as I have never read anything about it and the answer I get from high handicappers and even someone who does not have a handicap answering my question with watch this video. That really says to me they do not have a clue what they are talking about either otherwise they would give me their opinion on what they understand.

Justone thanks for your replys they are very well informed and you appear to know what you are talking about. Bob as ever good listening to you.

One last thing though and I will not take any kind of debate on this either............IT HAS TO BE WHITE SHOES AND IF YOU HAVE PINK TROUSERS ALL THE BETTER.....:whistle:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

I've just figured it all out at a last, I am going to sleep well tonight. Do you know what I have figured out???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Stand square to the target. Swing the club down the line of my body on a perfect swing plane, make sure the clubhead is square. What will that do to the ball then...... that is right it will go bloody straight. If I do that and never stick it behind a bloody tree I will never have to worry about hitting a fade or draw....:whoo:

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site

I've just figured it all out at a last, I am going to sleep well tonight. Do you know what I have figured out???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Stand square to the target. Swing the club down the line of my body on a perfect swing plane, make sure the clubhead is square. What will that do to the ball then...... that is right it will go bloody straight. If I do that and never stick it behind a bloody tree I will never have to worry about hitting a fade or draw....:whoo:

And if its a dog leg

:whistle:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

I understand that clubface in relation the swing will determine on what happens to the ball when it leaves the club. When I hear people going on about swinging in to out and out to in to make the ball draw and fade that is when I get confused by people.

I'll write a quick thread for you about the entire process................. take from it what you will.

What is your h/cap?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Ok I am going to put an ice pack on my brain and cool it down. I understand what they are saying in the videos as I have watched them several times over the last couple of days. Thing is I do not know who is right on this forum or is it me not understanding what they are saying:confused:

I understand that clubface in relation the swing will determine on what happens to the ball when it leaves the club. When I hear people going on about swinging in to out and out to in to make the ball draw and fade that is when I get confused by people. Also when I ask a question as this is very new to me as I have never read anything about it and the answer I get from high handicappers and even someone who does not have a handicap answering my question with watch this video. That really says to me they do not have a clue what they are talking about either otherwise they would give me their opinion on what they understand.

Justone thanks for your replys they are very well informed and you appear to know what you are talking about. Bob as ever good listening to you.

One last thing though and I will not take any kind of debate on this either............IT HAS TO BE WHITE SHOES AND IF YOU HAVE PINK TROUSERS ALL THE BETTER.....:whistle:

I have refered people to videos as I assume (correctly I think) that they show graphically how it works and most people find it easier to see it rather than desipher long explanations.

I dont know if you are refering to me but I am not a high handicapper and do have a valid handicap.

To help you with your understanding without videos lets take away the in-to-out and out-to-in bit and only consider the two vectors that make up the D plane surface. When the clubface actually strikes the ball it has two directions:

1) the vector the sweetspot is pointing. This is a line that travels perpendicular to the sweetspot, it will be a compound direction that is pointing upwards due to loft and forwards due to the direction the clubface is pointing.

2) the direction the clubface is traveling at impact. It may be pointing directly at the ball or it may be striking the ball at an accute angle that cuts across it. This cutting direction may be travelling from right to left by an angle or left to right by an angle.

When the clubface strikes the ball as in 1) above the ball will compress on the clubface then the coefficient of restoration (COR) will propell the ball forward in a near normal direction to the one the sweetspot is pointing. The fact that there was loft on the clubface the ball will also start to spin backwards, this creates lift (Magnus Effect)

If the clubface hits the ball perfectly square without cutting across it then the ball will move away with the axis of rotation square and the ball will not curve right or left, other than the affects of side wind.

If the clubface cuts across the ball from right-to-left or left-to-right (as is 2) above)then the axis of rotation will be tilted and the ball will turn in flight. A tilt to the right will create clockwise motion (Slice/Fade). A tilt to the left will create an anticlockwise motion (Hook/Draw)

To determine the direction the the axis of rotation will tilt you need to visualise the 'D Plane' This is a swept surface (think of a netting streched between the two vectors) that is formed between the lower direction vector (Clubhead direction) and the upper direction vector (Sweetspot direction) The axis of rotation will lie perpendicular to the swept surface. Think of the axis as a set of aeroplane wings that turn the ball right or left as they follow the 'D Plane' surface.

I hope this is a little more informative. I have no real preference with shoes and trousers so go with whats on offer.

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

I have refered people to videos as I assume (correctly I think) that they show graphically how it works and most people find it easier to see it rather than desipher long explanations.

I dont know if you are refering to me but I am not a high handicapper and do have a valid handicap.

To help you with your understanding without videos lets take away the in-to-out and out-to-in bit and only consider the two vectors that make up the plane surface. When the clubface actually strikes the ball it has two directions:

1) the vector the sweetspot is pointing. This is a line that travels perpendicular to the sweetspot, it will be a compound direction that is pointing upwards due to loft and forwards due to the direction the clubface is pointing.

2) the direction the clubface is traveling at impact. It may be pointing directly at the ball or it may be striking the ball at an accute angle that cuts across it. This cutting direction may be travelling from right to left bt an angle or left to right at an angle.

When the clubface strikes the ball as in 1) above the ball will compress on the clubface then the coefficient of restoration (COR) will propell the ball forward in a near normal direction to the one the sweetspot is pointing. The fact that there was loft on the clubface the ball will also start to spin backwards, this creates lift (Magus Effect)

If the clubface hits the ball perfectly square without cutting across it then the ball will move away with the axis of rotation square and the ball will hnot curve right or left, other than the affects of side wind.

If the clubface cuts across the ball from right-to-left or left-to-right (as is 2) above)then the axis of rotation will be tilted and the ball will turn in flight. A tilt to the right will create clockwise motion (Slice/Fade).

To determine the direction the the axis of rotation will tilt you need to visualise the 'D Plane' This is a swept surface (think of a netting streched between the two vectors) that is formed between the lower direction vector (Clubhead direction) and the upper direction vector (Sweetspot direction) The axis of rotation will lie perpendicular to the swept surface. Think of the axis as a set of aeroplane wings that turn the ball right or left as they follow the 'D Plane' surface.

I hope this is a little more informative. I have no real preference with shoes and trousers so go with whats on offer.

not aimed at you socket you obviously understand and I get what they are talking about now. Just some replies on here I have found to be confusing. All the scientific side of things interest me with this. I am an Engineer and have qualifications in science related subjects so it is interesting when we start talking about vectors

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Justone and Socketrocket have really opened my eyes with their postings on this thread

i breifley said in a prior post, i was playing in a medal on sunday hit a hook, 10 yards left of the green, a 200 yardish approach with a 4 iron

my normal rection would have been a self diagnoses of a out to in swing with a closed face, next tee shot i would have tried to swing more in to out to correct,

However because of this post i looked at the divot which was straight, therefore concluded it was simply the club face being slightly closed.

Next teeshot regripped the club to open the face a little, tee shot down the middle

If id carried on with the my "old way" of thinking i would have no doubt exabarated the problem of my hook and my round could have gone downhill fast

It is a little surprising some people seem a little hostile do what in my brief experience has been a great help, and opednd my eyes

ive been playing golf 16 years, got down to single figures, after a long break have just got back into golf again this year, and i am fortunate to have a handicap of 16 at one of the premier courses in england.

my swing on my sig.

Last edited:

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

6 months away from the forum and golf and it's good to see that the quality of debate and information have not changed :) Great read!

Some things have changed mind, still not got used to the new forum layout and Bob and James agreeing?!?!?!?