JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Re: Why is hotting a draw good?

Wow, there's some serious info here that's going to help a lot of people to think their way into swinging like an Orangutan next time they're on the course.
Not knocking the info at all. It all makes sense.
My problem would be trying to think about it all during a swing - I'd forget about hitting the ball.....
Most of us think too much on the course.
Do your thinking on the range first...

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

The correct way would be to point the clubface to the right of the tree then swing in-to-out further right of the clubface direction. This would start the ball to the right then bring the ball back to the left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUZ3VYj0oiQ&feature=related

I'm sorry but everyone on here just appears to keep contradicting them self. You said you never need to change your swing path but clearly this is what you are saying here. The video that has been put up and then pulled to pieces is actually from the David Leadbetter academy. Would he allow someone to teach the wrong thing let alone put a video of it on the internet. Now surely someone who has spent nearly 30 years instructing some of the worlds greatest golfers would now what he is talking about. You want me to believe that a video from a golf coach at Stanford knows more about how to play golf than Leadbetter? If he did he would not be working at Stanford would he. DO not get me wrong I think the Leadbetter swing theory is an idealistic view and most people can't do what he talks about but.....surely he understands something basic like how to draw and fade the ball on command.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Can I point you in the direction of my post #70 in this thread.

Bottom line is.......

To draw the ball round a tree, aim your body where you want the ball to start.
Then, instead of pointing your clubface where you want the ball to finish (old teaching and will hit the tree) Instead, point it a little left of where your body is aiming. Then swing normally.

Disclaimer
This information assumes you normally have a neutral swingpath/swingplane/clubface at impact. :whistle:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

I have just read back on the posts that people have put on here and it seems that everyone is trying to talk about the same thing but appear to be contradicting each other. Let me get this correct then as different people are starting to confuse me. Is the initial flight path of the ball relative to the angle that the club is swung on. Is the spin that is imparted onto the ball in relation to the face angle against the angle of travel of the face in relation to the body. The ball has to set off in a direction proportional to the angle the club is swung on. ie If you are aiming left of the target and swing inline with your body then the ball must start on a flight path left of the target. If it does not then Newtons laws are incorrect and the whole world has been living some kind of lie. If you hit the ball the ball will accelerate and the initial direction of the ball will be in relation to the angle that it was struck. It is the force of the impact behind the ball that makes it move. That movement will be away from the impact, so the direction of travel has to initially be in a direction in relation to the direction of travel of the object that struck it.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Bottom line is.......

Then, instead of pointing your clubface where you want the ball to finish (old teaching and will hit the tree) Instead, point it a little left of where your body is aiming. Then swing normally.

Disclaimer
This information assumes you normally have a neutral swingpath/swingplane/clubface at impact. :whistle:

I agree 110% with you Bob. It is not what you are saying that I am arguing against. It is when people tart talking about in to out and out to in swing paths to help you shape the ball.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I agree 110% with you Bob. It is not what you are saying that I am arguing against. It is when people tart talking about in to out and out to in swing paths to help you shape the ball.

Well, if you aim left of the target, the swingpath will change in relation to the target

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Bottom line is.......

Disclaimer

Same as the old method Bob.... a pull/pull-hook :mad:. You surprise me.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Well, if you aim left of the target, the swingpath will change in relation to the target

Of course it will change in relation to the target but the swing plane is still the same as you have moved your body to aim left of the target. If I aim left of the target then open the face and swing the club on my normal swing plane then will the ball start left of target and move back to the right or not? What I am reading from some of the people on here is that I have to start changing the angle of my swing plane to actually hit a shaped shot. Or am I just getting confused by the people on here trying to look too deep into how to shape the ball. They are making some very good points but also contradicting each other on the same subject?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

The video that has been put up and then pulled to pieces is actually from the David Leadbetter academy. Would he allow someone to teach the wrong thing let alone put a video of it on the internet. Now surely someone who has spent nearly 30 years instructing some of the worlds greatest golfers would now what he is talking about.

All the pros accept that the ballflight laws were wrong.... well apart from Bobmac it seems.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws will show Nick Faldo giving the wrong advice also.

This stuff is well old already, we've all been discussing/using this info for over 2years now and it seems some people still want to argue with it, probably on the basis that they don't understand it.

Did you watch the vid in the other thread MadAdey?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

I watched it. So what you are saying is that what people have been doing for decades now is wrong?

Ha! Don't think it's something to do with just me.... EVERYONE says that.

Read the stuff that's been posted in the past few posts. Google it...do whatever you want with it apart from dispute it... your good friend PHYSICS has proved that the old ways were wrong.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

No James, I'm trying to simplify things.

Telling someone to draw the ball around a tree using a pull-hook is WRONG Bob.

The way you have explained it is the SAME as the old way... clubface closed to body line..that's a pull-hook (and a snap hook waiting to happen) whichever way you think you've told it.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

Telling someone to draw the ball around a tree using a pull-hook is WRONG Bob.

The way you have explained it is the SAME as the old way... clubface closed to body line..that's a pull-hook (and a snap hook waiting to happen) whichever way you think you've told it.

Then please tell me in simple terms if I want to go around an object with a draw then how do I do it? Tell me how to set my body my clubface and how to swing

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

James, your theory is sound, but in the real world on the driving range, do you know how many people can actually swing in to out and close the face in relation to the swingpath but open to the target line?
If you're lucky 1%

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site

I know what you are going to say Bob and I agree with you. But I want one of the people that are going on about this new theory to please tell me how to do this. I have an object that I wish to fade the ball around. Can you tell how to do this please using your new theory. Go as in depth and technical as you want.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Fade or draw? or both?

I'm on my way out the door to play.... happy to answer any/all questions when I get back (5pm-ish)