Why do you play golf?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know we all like a good moan about what's wrong with golf, especially under current circumstances, but that also begs the question of what's right about golf.

Why do we play?

I'm finding it difficult to narrow down what I enjoy the most but I think it comes down to its innate challenge, the simple action of hitting a ball, the pleasant walk and it being such a social sport.

As is the way with thoughts like this, I'll no doubt think differently about it tomorrow. :)

Mandofred

Visit site
Because....it's me. Masochist....
  • (in general use) a person who enjoys an activity that appears to be painful or tedious.
    "what kind of masochist would take part in such an experiment?"

D

Deleted Member 1156

I love the challenge. Nobody else touches your ball (apart from foursomes/greensomes) but one day everything goes great, the next you are hacking out of old divots and you just have to accept the rough with the smooth. How often have you played a 36 hole event and shot the lights out in the morning then been 10 shots worse in the afternoon? Same course, same conditions....go figure?!?!
I've met some fantastic people over the years, made life long friends and created memories that I will never forget. That's why I love golf.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve CFS. I picked it up because it was the only competitive sport I could play on my own and get exercise but not too exhausting exercise.

I like getting outdoors. I like nature. I like being on my own. I like competing even with myself. I like the satisfaction of hitting a good shot and the self validation it brings. At least I think I do. It’s been a while.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love the challenge. Nobody else touches your ball (apart from foursomes/greensomes) but one day everything goes great, the next you are hacking out of old divots and you just have to accept the rough with the smooth. How often have you played a 36 hole event and shot the lights out in the morning then been 10 shots worse in the afternoon? Same course, same conditions....go figure?!?!
I've met some fantastic people over the years, made life long friends and created memories that I will never forget. That's why I love golf.

Yep, pretty much this. I think golf combines skill and chance in a perfect feedback loop, you do a thing, you get a thing. The fresh air, the exercise and the "just one more go" nature of trying to beat chance with skill are all good endorphin triggers. No wonder we become addicted to it. :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why did I start playing golf - my dad played and got me and mum started when I was 14 so we could all play together.

Why did I go back to playing golf around 5-6 years ago - having not played much in my 20s, I was approaching 30 and thinking about how I'd have to give up football some day and I guess it struck me that I want a sport I could keep playing without age being as much of a factor. One of my best mates said he fancied taking it up after enjoying a few visits to Top Golf as well, so I had someone to play with, and we started playing a local nine-holer weekly.

Why do I keep playing golf?? I dunno, I just really got the bug that second time of re-taking it up. The joy of hitting a good shot just keeps you coming back, even if it follows ten bad ones. There's not many sports that you can spend a whole afternoon in the sun (or fresh air anyway), enjoying yourself but also having a proper laugh with some mates - or even with someone you've never met before but by the back nine it's like you've known them for months.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not withstanding present circumstances (being a nomad playing P&P or relying on mates guest's green fees I've hardly played in the last year), I take the attitude of the guys I mainly play with. It's an excuse to .... get up in the morning, have a 5/6 mile walk in green surroundings and pleasant/great company, bit of competition for a couple of quid, winners then buy the pot of tea with the winnings, and we can chinwag and put the world to rights. What else is there in a game/sport that matters?