Why do you play golf?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m amazed how many people play because of injuries.

To be effective at golf don’t you need to be injury free?

No.

It takes about 4 sides of A4 paper to detail all my injuries, the worst of which I got aged 20 (fractured femur, pelvis and spine which left me with a displaced leg) yet I played to a 6 handicap for over 20 years.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I started out as a way of cosying up to the boss and getting a fee early finishes a year for a Friday afternoon round. Then more recently had a couple of mates get really into it so I kind of tagged on with then.

Then last year, along with half the UK it seems, I got properly hooked and joined a club, spent a fortune on new gear. I have quite an obsessive personality and golf is the focus of that at the moment. However, unlike my other obsessions over the years (rugby and mtb) I have got a few more years to get better at it before I start a decline.

After a couple of concussions and a knee rebuild its probably the sport least likely to be affected or put me at risk of further injury.

like mountain biking it gets me outside, with mates, in some stunning places. All of which give me an enormous sense of wellbeing (PARKLIFE!!)

D

Deleted member 25575

Because I love everything about it, being rubbish, being able to hit that one shot every now and again that even the best in the world would be pleased with. Being outside, wanting to improve but never quite getting there, knowing "that score" is just round the corner, friends, family, the fact that I got my dad and granddad into it. Everything

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One morning when I was 12 I phoned my pal Alan to see if he wanted to play (table tennis in his parents basement was our game at the time), to discover he’d gone off with another of our pals to play golf. And so I thought I might as well join them - after all - I’d been whacking a couple of balls around a playing field for a while and knew that i could hit a golf ball and get shots up in the air.

Boomy

Visit site
Golf was big in my family when I was growing up, my uncle was a pro at a club and my grandad taught me to putt on a holiday.. I got the bug from that. I keep coming back for more because of:

The fresh air and scenery.
The banter with the lads.
The ongoing challenge.
The post round bar lunch and post round banter!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Physical outdoor exercise, but where physical strength or endurance is not a requirement to play well.
Can play into old age and still enjoy when it comes.
A hobby where you can always try to get better.
Can play socially or competitively as you see fit.
Can play with people of different skill levels.
Can equally enjoy playing with friends, strangers or totally by yourself.

But mainly on a warm clear day on a nice course, when you're neither waiting nor feeling rushed, it's a reminder that it's good to be alive.

All of these..^^^^^^^^^ PLUS, it can be played in pretty much any weather & course conditions....... THEN..... if you can't there's always the Range as well.
AND FINALLY...... can be played safely during a Pandemic!!!
Is there another sport where all of this applies?? :D:D
EDIT - It's been a while but I remember....... If your kids get interested then you can share an activity & enjoyment for 4hrs or so.

Last edited: