Why do you play golf?

D

Deleted member 21258

Main reason, is the feeling that hitting a good shot gives, great buzz.

Next was that you can play golf with anyone of any standard.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
Physical outdoor exercise, but where physical strength or endurance is not a requirement to play well.
Can play into old age and still enjoy when it comes.
A hobby where you can always try to get better.
Can play socially or competitively as you see fit.
Can play with people of different skill levels.
Can equally enjoy playing with friends, strangers or totally by yourself.

But mainly on a warm clear day on a nice course, when you're neither waiting nor feeling rushed, it's a reminder that it's good to be alive.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...and despite hitting the ball puny distances compared with the distance young lads in their 20s and 30s hit it - and for all their fancy kit and clobber - I can still beat them :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Throughout most of my life I have been obsessed by sport.

Mainly me against the game and golf was just another one of those sports.

These days, at my age and with all my injuries it just about the only sport left that my body lets me play on a regular basis.

evemccc

Visit site
It's a pleasant walk in the fresh air, every shot is different, it's a way to spend time alone and be pre-occupied with the challenge of the course, the strategy required of a good course is a combination of brains+brawn, you can play it into your later years, you really are playing yourself and the course's challenge, I've met some very pleasant people, I love nature and many or most courses - whether links, parkland or heathland I find all very attractive, the masochistic part of me enjoys the self-flagellation of knowing you can always do better, there is that constant fight of temptation of 'if you buy XYZ you can make yourself better', it's calming and peaceful. To quote Nick Faldo "I have never ever been bored for a single second on a golf course". I can nearly always forget about the things of this world and my life I find annoying, frustrating or depressing.

I love it. I have become obsessed.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well used to play hockey and cricket , got a knee and back injury , mate persuaded me to take up golf and join him at a local club

Was hooked pretty quickly

I enjoy

The challenge
The social aspect during and after the game
It’s a sport that appears to be the best at meeting new people
it has enabled me to meet and play golf with lots of new friends
Visit some of the best golf courses in the country
How you can smash it up one day and then have a stinker the next day but one shot will have you begging to get back out
it’s a sport that allows you to play with people of all differing levels of ability

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
After screwing my knee at football, having both hips replaced after 10 years of tennis I needed another competitive game and golf more than fitted the bill. I just wish I'd found golf instead of tennis and would likely got to a decent single figure handicap

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a way, for the same reasons I like rock climbing and ice climbing. It is entirely absorbing, and any success or achievement is entirely down to me and my own ability - such as i may possess that is.. Likewise, it's out in the open, the elements play their part, there's a good social element and cameradarie. It diverges in that its not quite as dangerous. (For example, I've never fallen off a golf course...)

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
As I get older, more for the craic - and as I lost my best golfing friend last year, I'm not really sure how I will feel about it this year.

Fabia999

Visit site
An old guy I used to work with got me into it initially. Went to the range and I was terrible so decided to stick at it.

I also:
Can't play football
Enjoy playing other courses.
Hitting that one good shot every 36 holes.
Like the break from work etc

D

Deleted member 1147

I’m amazed how many people play because of injuries.

To be effective at golf don’t you need to be injury free?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m amazed how many people play because of injuries.

To be effective at golf don’t you need to be injury free?
Depends what it is, surely? A couple of years ago I sprained my ankle playing football, I couldn't play for 3 months, but I was back on the golf course 6 days later (stupidly I might add). :LOL: