Why do you play golf?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Mainly because I enjoy it. I love being out in the open air playing an interesting and challenging game, that I can play with my family and/ or friends. Being lucky enough to be able to travel to courses around world and play on fabulous courses anywhere. Whilst I'm playing, have no thoughts of work or any other issues that may be affecting me in everyday life, it's a great way to take a timeout on other problems. It's tough to beat being out on a warm, sunny day, on a glorious course, hacking my way round and then chilling with a cold beer after talking complete rubbish about anything and nothing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well if you can’t play to a decent level at one sport, why would you be able to another, with the same injury?
Are you just being silly on purpose? What about an injury that means you can't run? That would stop most sports other than golf wouldn't it?

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Well if you can’t play to a decent level at one sport, why would you be able to another, with the same injury?

Another ambiguity, I don't know what you mean by a "decent level"?

An old ankle injury means I can't play football. It doesn't stop me walking so don't really see how it impacts my golf.

D

Deleted member 1147

Bad ankle, bad knee, bad hip; all can effective stability, rotation and power production. As such may effect golf.

I’m just querying the situation and how the injuries effect people’s ability to play golf, not telling people they shouldn’t play golf.
I’ve tried to get fitter, and improve my strength, agility etc, to aid my golf. So the idea of playing golf with injuries interests me. Do people alter the swing mechanics to nullify the injuries?

D

Deleted member 18588

Bad ankle, bad knee, bad hip; all can effective stability, rotation and power production. As such may effect golf.

I’m just querying the situation and how the injuries effect people’s ability to play golf, not telling people they shouldn’t play golf.
I’ve tried to get fitter, and improve my strength, agility etc, to aid my golf. So the idea of playing golf with injuries interests me. Do people alter the swing mechanics to nullify the injuries?
For 40 years I have played with a plate in my left arm, the arm is approx 4.5 cm shorter than my right, has restricted movement, cannot straighten and the radial nerve is only around 40% effective.

During that period my handicap (golf!) came down from 22 to 13.

Advancing years and arthritic knees and hips have contributed to it increasing, HI 18.3, but I would suggest that the answer to your question is, yes swing mechanics have to be adjusted to accommodate different physical capabilities.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m amazed how many people play because of injuries.

To be effective at golf don’t you need to be injury free?

In my case I do not agree. My injury is a partially dislocated collar bone. It does not cause me any issues in day to day life nor impact on a golf swing but it does stop me playing in the front row of the scrum like I used to. My options were to have my should fully reconstructed, that I could not afford to do at the time, or find another activity for my weekends.

D

Deleted member 1147

In my case I do not agree. My injury is a partially dislocated collar bone. It does not cause me any issues in day to day life nor impact on a golf swing but it does stop me playing in the front row of the scrum like I used to. My options were to have my should fully reconstructed, that I could not afford to do at the time, or find another activity for my weekends.
Does your collarbone allow full range of motion?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the great things about golf is that you can play the game with a range of injuries and disabilities. I think it's an often overlooked and undervalued aspect of golf.

I was born with a deformed foot, I had reconstructive surgery on my left leg, ankle and foot when I was young which eventually got me walking and running. These days I have to use an orthotic, my ankle has restricted movement, it doesn't supinate or pronate and I don't have a functional big toe. It's a fleshy peg leg really. :) It's likely the cause of many bad shots when my right leg overpowers my left. I think I can play golf reasonably in spite of all that but I have to accept that distance is never going to be part of the game for me.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The sheer joy of hitting an object long and accurate, basic cave dweller skill.
Same as splitting logs with an axe smashing up paving slabs with a sledgehammer.

My teenage grandson was given the task of breaking up fencing panels to take to the skip.
He was spending ages with a blunt saw until I lent him my sledgehammer.
He then had a smashing time and sorted his problem in half an hour. Really enjoyed himself.

Lockdown time I think we could all benefit from some physical activity that involves sweat and a positive end product.
Given the chance I would spend many happy hours splitting logs with an axe.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I feel like you're barking up the wrong tree with this. It's a simple case of being able to play and enjoy a sport vs sports that you're unable to play at all. Your swing is whatever it ends up being, as long as it sends the ball forwards. Everybody's swing is different and dependant on their own range of movement, whether it be injuries or general flexibility.