Why do you love this game?

Gizmo722

Hacker
Visit site
Obviously been asked thousands of times before(sorry veterens of the forum)but just wonder what everybodys opinions about why they love the game.

For me,its the challenge,the unpredictability and satisfaction when something you have worked hard on comes off.

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i've got a big competative streak,it's a game that's challenging even when on your own,no two games/shots are ever the same so it can't get boring,it's a sport for all ages,and a million other reasons.

D

Deleted member 1147

Sometimes I wonder!

Probably that feeling you get when you've smacked a drive as hard as possible and it goes straight!

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Because if you can play this game properly its the nearest thing on earth to being a wizard. When someone see's a golf ball struck perfectly it has the same effect as seeing an amazing magic trick or something. Golf never ceases to find new ways to take your breathe away. No-one will ever come along who can birdie every hole they play, its not possible to master the game yet that does not deter people and we continue with our restless pursuit of impossible perfection until we pop our clogs. Its a game for life and we're always hopefull of the next time we tee it up being the game of a lifetime.

D

Deleted member 1147

I also like the fact that age & ability don't stop competition.

In competition, as long as it's accurate a handicap allows anyone to compete with anyone else.

We could even play the Tiger & have a chance of winning!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The fact that it is a sport that can never be mastered. I am a really competitive person and always strive to play the best I can in every competition I peg it up in. Even when I play on my own I am always trying my hardest to shoot as low as possible. I find if I try and relax my game goes to pot so I need the competitive edge to keep me focussed

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
The fact that it is a sport that can never be mastered. I am a really competitive person and always strive to play the best I can in every competition I peg it up in. Even when I play on my own I am always trying my hardest to shoot as low as possible. I find if I try and relax my game goes to pot so I need the competitive edge to keep me focussed

Sounds scarily familiar :D

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
benny i dont think homer can read your posts so that may be why it sounds familiar.i personally think your posts have improved 100% it the last couple of days and i certainly wont be ignoring you.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There are so many reasons to love this stupid senseless game.

It has allowed me competitive sport when it had been out of my life for 15 years and I never thought I could compete again.

The pals I have made the people I have met and the places it has taken me.

The joy in the depth of my soul when I hit one out of the middle.

The handicap system (until I play my singles on Sunday,full diff now!)

It even got me a job once.

There truly is no game or social exercise like it.

You cant hide your true self on a Golf course

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Haha thanks. What my last post meant was that Homers attitude to the game sounds exactly like mine. I am (against my will to be fair) obsessive about playing my best golf whenever I'm on the course/range/toilet and I although I don't get upset or angry when its not going my way, I can't help but feel a nagging feeling when I don't play to my best.

Timberbonce

Head Pro
Visit site
Its so hard to come up with an answer to that question..its like when at a job interview when your asked; "why should we give you this job" ...

I think it is what it is and you will either love it or hate it, those of us who love it know why we love it.

As to why cannot be expressed in words that would do it justice.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love everything about it and all that comes with it, (except for the bills)

But for me there is no better feeling on a monday morning, sun is rising, bag is full of new balls, clubs shining and then getting on the first tee. Cracking ya first drive right down the middle, then hitting G.I.R and then 3 putting for a bogie:D haha

No but seriously, even when ya playing badly, it is still a good sport to be involved in!

DCB

Visit site
well if I didn't play golf, I'd have to go and watch the Hearts on a saturday afternoon. Even a bad round of golf is less painfull than that nowadays!

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
I started playing again only 6 months ago after a 12 year break, I was spending a fortune every saturday afternoon following my team Raith Rovers all over the country, it became so depressing I think I'd rather 3 putt the 1st from 10 feet than go back to the football.

Never realised how much I missed the game until I got my handicap 2 weeks ago, I will tee up at 8.12 tomorrow morning thinking to myself, nett 66 today but in reality I'll be over the moon with a nett 73 to catch the buffer zone.

Thats why I love this game, every time you tee the ball up you believe todays the day, however you are always pleased to be there or there abouts

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because if you can play this game properly its the nearest thing on earth to being a wizard. When someone see's a golf ball struck perfectly it has the same effect as seeing an amazing magic trick or something. Golf never ceases to find new ways to take your breathe away. No-one will ever come along who can birdie every hole they play, its not possible to master the game yet that does not deter people and we continue with our restless pursuit of impossible perfection until we pop our clogs. Its a game for life and we're always hopefull of the next time we tee it up being the game of a lifetime.

well put benny.....couldn't agree more.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I quit for ages (much longer than the stated 5 years) because I needed to do so much with my life. I never missed it, but one day I picked up a club and thought "what did I see in this?" Only took one (lucky) shot to the middle of the fairway or onto the green for a birdie chance....and well, the rest is history.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Because you don't have to take as much gear as you do when you go fishing!!!

Seriously though. As a relative beginner (25 h/cap)I have days when hitting the ball anything like is a challenge. I'll hit some good shots, I'll hit some awful ones too.
The good shots make me want to come back again. The bad ones make me think about where I went wrong and set the challenge to make things better.

What a deceptively cunning game we play!

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Because what works for one doesn't work for all. What works for you during one round won't necessarily work the next.

Because a twenty handicap can beat a 8 handicap

Because it is primarily you against the course - competitions are great but you have to beat the course first!

Because there will always be another chance to play better (health willing)