Why do golfers buy white shoes?

oleinone

Visit site
My golfing circle of players comes to about 15 in total. I think that the majority favour white shoes. White is something of a misnomer. Without exception the shoes have become a grubby mess of ingrained muck. If you are playing in a climate where mud is a given, why buy white shoes?
For info, I have a pair of brown FJ Stratos that I have just cleaned and treated and they have come up just like new.
PS I played yesterday in a cool damp breeze which was slowly beginning to make me feel chilly. One press of the button on my heated gilet - toasty.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Black shoes look absolutely awful with shorts. Granted you're not often wearing shorts in winter, but when in Spring or Autumn it could be damp from rain (so you want your waterproof winter shoes on) but you want to wear shorts because the temperature is fine, so you need white ones really. That's why I always get white ones now anyway.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I ALWAYS buy black, because of the reason you state.
In terms of wearing with shorts, not an issue black is a neutral colour and goes with anything!!!! Blue shorts certainly look better with black than white ?

D

Deleted member 1147

I got the grey Adidas Code Chaos shoes - best of both worlds.
They're light enough colour, and wipe off dirt easily.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I have some white ECCO shoes. Goretex and Yak leather. After every round they get a clean and re seal. They still look well and feel like carpet slippers. Look at most young uns and they wear white trainers. The colour just transfers to golf And clothing. Re most of your mates shoes, have a look at there gear as well. The fiddle I play golf with, a similar number to yours. The lads that keep there shoes clean, keep there gear clean as well

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I ALWAYS buy black, because of the reason you state.
In terms of wearing with shorts, not an issue black is a neutral colour and goes with anything!!!! Blue shorts certainly look better with black than white ?
Nah, honestly, when I had plain black shoes before and then wore them with white socks and shorts it looked like I was wearing school shoes. Angus Young springs to mind. :ROFLMAO:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sporting Whites tradition legacy, like cricket or athletics.
Golf attire and colours went down a wormhole of bad taste with men wearing pink and yellow shirts or whatever and white trousers and so on. Transpose to the real world and its hideousness is exposed fully. The bright blue panels on midlayers, windshirts, and waterproofs has become an obscene and embarrassing golfing cliche.
White shoes are low grade offenders in comparison.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I just don't like black shoes. I do have an old pair of black Tour360's that I use when it's really muddy, otherwise it's white with primarily a blue or yellow accent.

Sporting Whites tradition legacy, like cricket or athletics.
Golf attire and colours went down a wormhole of bad taste with men wearing pink and yellow shirts or whatever and white trousers and so on. Transpose to the real world and its hideousness is exposed fully. The bright blue panels on midlayers, windshirts, and waterproofs has become an obscene and embarrassing golfing cliche.
White shoes are low grade offenders in comparison.

No problem at all with yellow shirts, or pink if it comes to that. I'm not good enough for white trousers, but don't really care if you want to wear them. I don't really understand what you mean here though

Transpose to the real world and its hideousness is exposed fully. The bright blue panels on midlayers, windshirts, and waterproofs has become an obscene and embarrassing golfing cliche.

Not sure about colours, but I don't like some of the designs with panels on so don't buy or wear them. Even then, not sure how that has become an "obscene and embarrassing golfing cliche" though?

RichA

Visit site
I've got 4 pairs.
Grey and blue for summer.
White Footjoy and Puma for winter.
The white ones are easier to clean because you can see where the mud is.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I always think black golf shoes looks like you've just nipped out to play golf wearing your work shoes - and is particularly odd if wearing shorts! Some of the more recent 'summer' golf shoes look more like trainers, think these are passable but clumpy golf shoes should be white!