Are white shoes worth the bother

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have had my fair share of white shoes and one problem always rears it's ugly head. You just cannot keep them clean and white for any period of time. I've tried soap and water, industrial wipes, baby wipes, all the recommended ways of keeping them looking something like but to no avail. My latest pair are FJ Softjoys in white with black saddle. Nice looking shoe and certainly not cheap but the flex area on the toes have started creasing and no amount of cleaning will now make these shoes look good again. I've probably worn them no more than a dozen times. Never in the rain or mud, always in good firm conditions. I think I've had it with white shoes. I just do not think anything looks worse than mucky white shoes and no matter how hard I try I cannot get value out of them.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Wipe them when you come off the course and there is no problem.

Even in my laziest mode (normal) I check. Don't care about the ingrained stuff, but it means I can wear shorts without feeling odd (for the black shoes).

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
All my gear gets cleaned immediately I arrive home, always has, always will. It hasn't helped much with the shoes though.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I clean my shoes I just give them a run over with one of those white polish sponge things. Not a perfect solution but helps a bit. I don't really care overly about a bit of ingrained dirt, they're for golfing not for dancing.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I clean my shoes I just give them a run over with one of those white polish sponge things. Not a perfect solution but helps a bit. I don't really care overly about a bit of ingrained dirt, they're for golfing not for dancing.

5.5 miles per round on a good day... that over steep terrain in all weather conditions will challenge any shoe... therefore life expectancy in less than 6 months on mine for studs, waterproof and durability. I have about 6 pairs in the garage at all levels of disrepair..I prefer white normally but even the black ones I had last winter started to fade and wear after 6 months...:( I'm trying an Adidas street shoe at the mo and although they are wearing on the top leather already, bought in April, the moulded tread is still good. I also try and wax and wipe them down regularly.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Ecco outdoor/golf shoe cleaner is what I use, I haven't found anything to beat it. Gets pretty much all of it out, even out of the creases, then a coat of Ecco leather lotion, job done. Maybe use white polish on them once a year to bring them up a bit.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I have had my fair share of white shoes and one problem always rears it's ugly head. You just cannot keep them clean and white for any period of time. I've tried soap and water, industrial wipes, baby wipes, all the recommended ways of keeping them looking something like but to no avail. My latest pair are FJ Softjoys in white with black saddle. Nice looking shoe and certainly not cheap but the flex area on the toes have started creasing and no amount of cleaning will now make these shoes look good again. I've probably worn them no more than a dozen times. Never in the rain or mud, always in good firm conditions. I think I've had it with white shoes. I just do not think anything looks worse than mucky white shoes and no matter how hard I try I cannot get value out of them.

View attachment 6483 :thup:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The newer synthetic materials certainly do help. Both my adizero and mizuno shoes are synthetic and they don't crease and clean easier. No loss of comfort or breath ability either. If I buy white shoes in future I would certainly look at synthetic over leather.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
When ever I buy new golf shoes I go with the intention of buying black for this very reason,but always end up buying white:-/

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had my lunar controls for over a year now and they are practically pristine! The pro asked the other week if I'd got new shoes! Wear in all conditions, give them a blast with the air hose as soon as I leave the 18th, wipe with baby wipes as soon as I get in. Leave them to dry and give them a polish once a month. Only mark is a bit of scuffing on the right toe.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Simply dont think about it. Thats one less thing to worry about now ;-)

See, you've suddenly got loads of spare time now!

My work here is done....

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I wore my ecco biom hybrids today in the rain, they still look mint.

Black shoes look naff with shorts, or beige trousers, not that I wear beige, I'm more of a cream colour.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have a number of different FJs in white or white/colour combinations and they do get dirty in the creases where. I tend to just wipe them with baby wipes when I get home, let them dry and crack on. I do use a clear polish on them once in a while to keep them supple. It still doesn't get the dirt out the cracks