WHS working well for me

wjemather

Visit site
Ok, I didn’t know I should have properly completed the round. I didn’t want to affect my PPs rounds and so I carried on playing but didn’t put my own score down, picked up when on the green etc to keep play moving. Damn. It was strokeplay. I put a line through my card and wrote nr on it.

Should I contact the handicap secretary and let them know?
Yes, if you contact them, they should remove this score as you did not complete enough holes in accordance with the rules of handicapping.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just reading back through some of these, should an NR in a comp not be included in a comp? I NRd after 2 holes in my last comp, put the scorecard in for transparency, and was given a score of 127 and my hcp went up by 1. Assumed this was normal?

When you record NR on a hole it is recorded as a hole started but not finished and the hole is recorded for handicap as a nett double bogey i.e the point at which you score 0 points for the hole. With the WHS it is important to record actual scores (but NR is ok if it would be nett double bogey). If you do not start a hole it is recorded as NS.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
If I shoot 4 over par 74 at my course (70.8/132), I achieve a differential of 2.7 which is exactly my HI at the moment.
No surprise then that the lowest of my best 8 is a 72 (diff = 1.0) and the highest is a 76 (diff = 4.5).
The next six scores that disappear from my 20 are not in my best 8, so the only way is down for the next few weeks.
Got the hang of it now, I feel.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A year ago my H/cap was 8.1 and I was struggling…under WHS it’s since drifted up to 10.3 and at my place that’s a CH of 11.

Stableford Comp on Saturday saw me knocking it round in 8 over gross - and that was in large part because after a not great start (5 pts total for first four holes) I felt I was actually playing OK and PH of 10 gave me room to keep going and score a half decent number of points. Off hcap of 8 I would not have been feeling that way.

In the end I scored 38pts and ended up 8th in a field of 146. With my H/I increasing from 8.1 to 10.3 under WHS I can suggest that WHS has worked for me.

Also sees my H/I now reduced to 9.9 and that’s fine as still sees me with a CH of 11. So still have the ‘comfort zone’ to consolidate my first round of half decent golf for three years.

Swango1980

Visit site
Another benefit to WHS (sort of):

My previous club do not update the howdidido system after membership renewal at start of August (if they do, they normally wait until Xmas or the new year to clear out members who have not rejoined). I have a mate who didn't rejoin, and has no intention of rejoining and is therefore not a member of any club. However, he is still able to submit scores for handicap at other courses using the MyEG App, and presumably could still enter Opens with an official handicap. I know this is a club issue, not directly a WHS issue. However, pre WHS he'd have not been able to submit scores for handicap, because they'd require a Committee member to verify them before being sent to his record. The Committee members would usually be aware the player is no longer a member. However, with WHS it is sent to WHS directly, and it is very unlikely that the Committee will pick up on this and delete it at some point down the line.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One thing about the way WHS works that I have not resolved in my mind is when CR off front tees is less than off back tees.

At my place off front tees has CR of 70; off back it is 72. SR is same for both sets of tees. But for most of us yellows aren’t two shots easier, in fact for most they play about the same.

My feeling is that if I mainly play yellows for most of my golf my H/I is going to be higher than if I’m mainly playing off whites - shooting the same number but off yellows against a CR two less than whites.

When two members of same ability play a match a ’mainly yellow’ member will quite probably have a higher H/I than the ‘mainly white’ member and might have 2 shots on him. That doesn’t seem fair and I can’t work out how it isn’t unfair.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another benefit to WHS (sort of):

My previous club do not update the howdidido system after membership renewal at start of August (if they do, they normally wait until Xmas or the new year to clear out members who have not rejoined). I have a mate who didn't rejoin, and has no intention of rejoining and is therefore not a member of any club. However, he is still able to submit scores for handicap at other courses using the MyEG App, and presumably could still enter Opens with an official handicap. I know this is a club issue, not directly a WHS issue. However, pre WHS he'd have not been able to submit scores for handicap, because they'd require a Committee member to verify them before being sent to his record. The Committee members would usually be aware the player is no longer a member. However, with WHS it is sent to WHS directly, and it is very unlikely that the Committee will pick up on this and delete it at some point down the line.

I think the igolf club has been a benefit, great to be able to play with friends who aren't members of a club but can now sign rounds

Played other day did best round of my life. If wasn't for igolf I wouldnt have been able to record it and get cut..my handicap would be artificially high

mattfarri

golfspaces.co.uk
Im just getting started with iGolf and have never had a club membership before - the lad i usually play with doesn't have an iGolf or club membership as he isn't fussed about getting a handicap. Any suggestions on how to get my rounds verified?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im just getting started with iGolf and have never had a club membership before - the lad i usually play with doesn't have an iGolf or club membership as he isn't fussed about getting a handicap. Any suggestions on how to get my rounds verified?
The reality is, happy to be corrected, you will need to add someone else to your group who is a member or who has a handicap to get your scores verified. Look on it as a positive, chance to meet new people (did you buy that?). It may be that you may have to play two types of rounds if you or your mate don't fancy playing with others. Most rounds with your mate, a few every so often where you play with other members / handicap holders just to get your handicap going.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Buy him the membership lol cheapest way

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I must say, the more this year goes on the more WHS is ruining my enjoyment of the game.

I used to love the challenge of reducing my handicap. And the grind of trying to save .1 lifts.

Now I'm regularly standing on the 9th tee with literally nothing to play for, no chance of dislodging a counter, and no motivation to even play on.

Took me years of effort to get where I was, now I can undo and repeat the feat in literally days. It decides matchplay in a nearly random fashion, it is unpolicable by commitees, and is in no way portable to other clubs / countries, because it's so often no refection of your ability to begin with. Its barely portable in my own club due to how loosely applied the rules are in various sweeps and swindles.

The ego handicaps and sandbaggers have tripled at my club. Even the scratch matches are now a nonsense as there are so many players with low handicaps due to gaming the system that many matches have become practical walk overs.

Its not been good for me. Its been a total disaster.

wjemather

Visit site
I must say, the more this year goes on the more WHS is ruining my enjoyment of the game.

I used to love the challenge of reducing my handicap. And the grind of trying to save .1 lifts.

Now I'm regularly standing on the 9th tee with literally nothing to play for, no chance of dislodging a counter, and no motivation to even play on.

Took me years of effort to get where I was, now I can undo and repeat the feat in literally days. It decides matchplay in a nearly random fashion, it is unpolicable by commitees, and is in no way portable to other clubs / countries, because it's so often no refection of your ability to begin with. Its barely portable in my own club due to how loosely applied the rules are in various sweeps and swindles.

The ego handicaps and sandbaggers have tripled at my club. Even the scratch matches are now a nonsense as there are so many players with low handicaps due to gaming the system that many matches have become practical walk overs.

You still have the chance to post a lowish differential that will potentially reduce any increase down the line - if not then you are talking about having no chance of making buffer under the old system after 9 holes and there is surely no difference in your motivation than before.

As for the rest of your post, it doesn't sound like your handicap committee is very effective.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

You'll have to explain that? There's no handicap, it's scratch, what has WHS got to do with that?

Your lack of motivation comment though rings true, seeing quite a few disgruntled single figure handicappers at my club, and I've even suffered from it myself, I've had 4 scores in the 90s + an NR this year, must be 20 years or more since I've done that, I always ground it out whatever my score, now I've got into a bad mindset of "oh it can't be one of my best 8 now" and stop concentrating. Yes that's not the fault of WHS, but it is a symptom

Swango1980

Visit site

I certainly agree with the ego handicappers, and sadly the sandbaggers as well. The extremely low handicappers can now pile in general play rounds at will, and unless the Committee are absolutely on the ball and vigorously checking the flood of general play scores that come in, the low handicappers can pick and choose which rounds they submit (not to mention some Committees not being aware of the WHS requirements or limitation of the tech, and perhaps some other committees actually proud of the fact they have some very very low handicappers at the club, and will happily allow these good scores to be used on their record, and the bad ones to be binned). Fast forward a year or so, it would be interesting to see how many low handicappers have a significant proportion of their best 8 from general play, and most competitions outside their top 8.

It makes me a bit more nervous about players who choose to submit only their bad scores. They're a bit harder to identify (assuming the club are unable to enforce proper pre-registration from source). The only way around it is to have a system that can virtually guarantee players must pre-register for handicap rounds, and that there are a lot of systems in place within the technology that put up barriers to those trying to con the system, before purely relying on the handicap committee as a final safety net.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am afraid I could be viewed as a sand bagger as I have not put any cards in since July 10th, nor played any medals. The reason being I play late afternoon or early evening on my own or the the day in the weekend I have is a match play round.
I get few weekends free as the wife has a shoot or there is some family get together.

The last match play round I was asked how I managed to get my handicap up and brutally honest I played poorly in all the competitions I played.
I don’t want to put a card in when I am rolling up, it won’t overly change my handicap as I have 8 pretty low scores that at my best I am 1 or 2 shots below and at my worst 10 shots above!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
You'll have to explain that? There's no handicap, it's scratch, what has WHS got to do with that?

I assumed he meant there are folk who have managed HI down so that they qualify for Club Teams and Scratch Opens Events.. "ego handicappers" as above.... selectively putting in scores, iffy gen play cards...

So they end up in club scratch matches and get stuffed every time...

Our Team Capts have said that unless you are going low in Club Medals regularly... you are not getting picked, regardless of what it says on the App!! :)

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
All the handicap committee can do is process tge scores, if its

Your lack of motivation comment though rings true, seeing quite a few disgruntled single figure handicappers at my club, and I've even suffered from it myself, I've had 4 scores in the 90s + an NR this year, must be 20 years or more since I've done that, I always ground it out whatever my score, now I've got into a bad mindset of "oh it can't be one of my best 8 now" and stop concentrating. Yes that's not the fault of WHS, but it is a symptom

Scratch teams are picked on a meritocracy, so lowest handicappers play. Now you have "new" good golfers being picked ahead of "established" good players and being absolutely annihilated in matches...