WHS doesn't work

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I totally get if you putt it to one foot just step up and tap it in. If someone is pitching or chipping from a distance and he gets it within a foot or whatever then yeah I'm probs giving him the putt to save time as he'll have to put his club back walk to the green etc etc. I say sometimes as it might be a bit of a slider or something and I'm not giving it then.
But that's golf. If you want to save time, don't bother even going to the golf course!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But that's golf. If you want to save time, don't bother even going to the golf course!
Most people I know and play with play there social golf like this.
They adhere strictly to the rules in competition but will happily drop a ball somewhere near where one was listening and have gimmees within a couple of feet or so.
It speeds things up and harms no one . But it is the reason why I think it's one of the dafter aspects of the WHS. Encouraging non competition rounds rather than reserving them for the occasional time when a player can't enter a competition.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Most people I know and play with play there social golf like this.
They adhere strictly to the rules in competition but will happily drop a ball somewhere near where one was listening and have gimmees within a couple of feet or so.
It speeds things up and harms no one . But it is the reason why I think it's one of the dafter aspects of the WHS. Encouraging non competition rounds rather than reserving them for the occasional time when a player can't enter a competition.
And then they wonder why the soil themselves in the monthly medal.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
But why? I just don't understand. If it's so easy, take the 2 seconds to putt the ball in the hole.
I give them because I can. The thing is we play a lot of matchplay and gimmes are an integral part of matchplay.

We played a match a few years ago. Our opponents targetted me, giving me nothing, giving my partner everything, fortunately I holed everything one might reasonably expect to.

I left my partner to deal with the giving and he gave them everything, for 17 holes. We were 1 down on the 18th tee and one of our opponents was on a shot. He stood on the 18th green with a two and a half footer to half the hole and win the match. He looked at my partner who just looked back at him, and he promptly missed.

We still chuckle about that all of these years later.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Think the US stopped but Canada still does it.
Not so. Solo rounds are not permitted for handicap purposes in Canada. Canada is a "self-governing" part of the R&A domain. Because of all the cross-border play, we (Canada) align closely with USGA practices wrt to Rules and Handicapping.

AussieKB

Visit site
Not so. Solo rounds are not permitted for handicap purposes in Canada. Canada is a "self-governing" part of the R&A domain. Because of all the cross-border play, we (Canada) align closely with USGA practices wrt to Rules and Handicapping.
stand corrected.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our Saturday rollup (usually 24-28 playing) is individual stableford with gimmies allowed. Within a fourball we’ll usually organise a better ball match. Works well and the fourball match element adds a bit of spice and banter. Club has now required us to make 1 in 4 weeks acceptable for WHS and so no gimmes.

Majority not happy with this but there you go…they say it’ll certainly slow things down having to hole out (I disagree about that btw) and the 1 round will no longer be played as social golf - in the way the rollup comp currently is. Club cites pressure and complaints from members wanting to play Saturday am mid morning but not wanting to play in roll up. So reduced tee allocation for rollup - plus it says it’s an organised comp so should be made acceptable for WHS (club has thought this since WHS came in). Compromise is 1:4.

We will see. I suspect that some/many rolluppers will abandon it for the ‘1’ week and do their own thing. Fair enough, but a pity as the roll up is vibrant, inclusive…and as an aside the pre-draw gathering is good for for food/drinks.

Anyway…we’ll see.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Our Saturday rollup (usually 24-28 playing) is individual stableford with gimmies allowed. Within a fourball we’ll usually organise a better ball match. Works well and the fourball match element adds a bit of spice and banter. Club has now required us to make 1 in 4 weeks acceptable for WHS and so no gimmes.

Majority not happy with this but there you go…they say it’ll certainly slow things down having to hole out (I disagree about that btw) and the 1 round will no longer be played as social golf - in the way the rollup comp currently is. Club cites pressure and complaints from members wanting to play Saturday am mid morning but not wanting to play in roll up. So reduced tee allocation for rollup - plus it says it’s an organised comp so should be made acceptable for WHS (club has thought this since WHS came in). Compromise is 1:4.

We will see. I suspect that some/many rolluppers will abandon it for the ‘1’ week and do their own thing. Fair enough, but a pity as the roll up is vibrant, inclusive…and as an aside the pre-draw gathering is good for for food/drinks.

Anyway…we’ll see.

If majority not happy I suspect you’re right. Some ppl will drop the rollup but not drop the round of golf on that day (so they’ll still play but do their own thing) Wonder what action the club will take? Not against individuals but against the roll up & its tee times :unsure:

Swango1980

Visit site

Anyway…we’ll see.
What prompted club to do this. I can't suspect they are simply thinking "organised comp, you must now put cards in". Only because if that was the logic, would they not ask all roll ups to have cards put in?

There may be members unhappy. But, on flip side, could there be other members that have complained cards were not being submitted. In my experience, some members get annoyed that a handful of golfers play roll ups regular, often score well but never put a card in. So, they moan and complain, and that may prompt the club to instruct all golfers to submit scores, making it fair for all.

Our club have had roll ups on Tuesday and Thursday for years. For the last few years, scores are now entered for handicaps, comp set up using Club V1. Some moaned at time. Roll ups have never been so popular as they are now. Members get used to it. I actually think it publicises Roll Ups very well also, as all members get a notification when results posted

Golfnut1957

Visit site
What prompted club to do this. I can't suspect they are simply thinking "organised comp, you must now put cards in". Only because if that was the logic, would they not ask all roll ups to have cards put in?

There may be members unhappy. But, on flip side, could there be other members that have complained cards were not being submitted. In my experience, some members get annoyed that a handful of golfers play roll ups regular, often score well but never put a card in. So, they moan and complain, and that may prompt the club to instruct all golfers to submit scores, making it fair for all.

Our club have had roll ups on Tuesday and Thursday for years. For the last few years, scores are now entered for handicaps, comp set up using Club V1. Some moaned at time. Roll ups have never been so popular as they are now. Members get used to it. I actually think it publicises Roll Ups very well also, as all members get a notification when results posted
Is that not just another "club comp" rather than a roll up?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Spooky happenings on the (Wales) whs app today.

Yesterday, my club manually entered my two cards from Castle Stuart last week. This morning they've impacted my H.I. but, the column with "diff" and whs is blank!

But it's there on the website. No pcc on either.

Odd. If not cleared in a couple of days, I'll message Wales Golf.

wjemather

Visit site
Spooky happenings on the (Wales) whs app today.

Yesterday, my club manually entered my two cards from Castle Stuart last week. This morning they've impacted my H.I. but, the column with "diff" and whs is blank!

But it's there on the website. No pcc on either.

Odd. If not cleared in a couple of days, I'll message Wales Golf.
I believe there is an issue with how some cross-border scores are displaying that is being worked on.