WHS doesn't work

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They really are bloody useless, those of us involved at our club are convinced that they can't even spell Beta Test never mind actually do any. Imagine launching an App where you can't actually book on guests, and after three months the workaround they finally got is to create a number of "members" called 'Guest' and book that member on as your guest. An utter joke

Good grief. That is hilariously bad. I’m glad I’m no longer on the committee of a small club so no longer having to put up with the implementation and adoption of it in such a club environment.

I’m just an end-user now and in fairness for the purposes of tracking only my own handicap, the new (DotGolf) Scottish Golf App is much better and in parity with the EG app. But that’s not the issue here, for club management SG plans are farcical and I’m glad my clubs have always stuck with ClubV1.

wjemather

Visit site
Oh dear, from the responses above, it appears that (quelle suprise) the App is not the same at all, whodda thunkit of you eh?
I guess it's simply convenient for you to forget/ignore facts when it suits.

I saw that you claimed to have worked in IT for many years. If that is truly the case, then you know that most software consists of modules, and that having different modules enabled or disabled does not change the software. Or maybe you actually don't know anything about software development, and were bluffing about your knowledge on the other thread?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's where you book guests, through the app. The club takes the money. So what you're saying then is that the SG App & the EG App are not the same?

We book our guests via the club website or through the IG (Intelligent Golf) app

SG app and EG app run by the handicap authorities and not by golf clubs and would have nothing to do with club booking systems and financial affairs.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
We book our guests via the club website or through the IG (Intelligent Golf) app

SG app and EG app run by the handicap authorities and not by golf clubs and would have nothing to do with club booking systems and financial affairs.
SG App (and VMS back end behind it) most certainly do. Clubs that are using it (mostly small clubs) are using this for all functions, we did away with Club V1 when SG launched their first VMS & App to much self-congratulation, only to have egg on their faces for two years.

It's amazing that with all the lessons they learned, they're repeating so much of their earlier errors, there's no doubt dotgolf will be better, but I don;t think SG know how to spec out a system, and end up having to plug multitudes of holes that this causes as dotgolf are not mind readers.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Good grief. That is hilariously bad. I’m glad I’m no longer on the committee of a small club so no longer having to put up with the implementation and adoption of it in such a club environment.

I’m just an end-user now and in fairness for the purposes of tracking only my own handicap, the new (DotGolf) Scottish Golf App is much better and in parity with the EG app. But that’s not the issue here, for club management SG plans are farcical and I’m glad my clubs have always stuck with ClubV1.
Agree with you there, they've removed much of the superfluous junk so it's much cleaner, but still so much to do to get it all right.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I guess it's simply convenient for you to forget/ignore facts when it suits.

I saw that you claimed to have worked in IT for many years. If that is truly the case, then you know that most software consists of modules, and that having different modules enabled or disabled does not change the software. Or maybe you actually don't know anything about software development, and were bluffing about your knowledge on the other thread?
Oh dear, still at it?
Does the App try to do the same in Scotland? No, it's trying to do much more, and failing, that was my point, one which you seem determined to continue to bluff through as if what you claimed was correct.

wjemather

Visit site
Oh dear, still at it?
Does the App try to do the same in Scotland? No, it's trying to do much more, and failing, that was my point, one which you seem determined to continue to bluff through as if what you claimed was correct.
Perhaps you'd care to highlight where the score registration and entry process differs (i.e. the original query)? Clue: it doesn't.
And then maybe you should think about why.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
SG App (and VMS back end behind it) most certainly do. Clubs that are using it (mostly small clubs) are using this for all functions, we did away with Club V1 when SG launched their first VMS & App to much self-congratulation, only to have egg on their faces for two years.

It's amazing that with all the lessons they learned, they're repeating so much of their earlier errors, there's no doubt dotgolf will be better, but I don;t think SG know how to spec out a system, and end up having to plug multitudes of holes that this causes as dotgolf are not mind readers.

therein lies a major difference between Scotland and England,Wales & Ireland. From the off they were intent on squeezing out the likes of IG an ClubV1 and I think they have realised what monumental task this is.

We use IG in entirety with all options so all financial stuff is included as well visitors and members guests green fees, all members fees, bar card and bar and catering spending, all comp entry fee administration etc.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
therein lies a major difference between Scotland and England,Wales & Ireland. From the off they were intent on squeezing out the likes of IG an ClubV1 and I think they have realised what monumental task this is.

We use IG in entirety with all options so all financial stuff is included as well visitors and members guests green fees, all members fees, bar card and bar and catering spending, all comp entry fee administration etc.
The key question is - does it do marker attestation?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The key question is - does it do marker attestation?
not remembered I always use the eg app these days.

Back in lock down we took a photo of the card and the markers name had to be in caps and legible.

If a player uses the IG app or the PSI Computer it is a club requirement that the card is returned to the office.

IG does have the choice for a player to record another players score via the app with photo at the end.

IJames

Visit site
That's where you book guests, through the app. The club takes the money. So what you're saying then is that the SG App & the EG App are not the same?
The may well be - I believe Dotgolf developed EG's App! By checking which style they are operating in invoke, or not, other modules for booking, attester checking etc. I'd expect that's what the SG version does to determine whether to invoke VMS or not! An obvious method to overcome the specific problem (having to have a 'Guest' member) would be to return to Club Systems software, but that obviously has a financial impact!

IJames

Visit site

Obviously different in Scotland - via VMS - presumably to save small clubs the cost of purchasing commercial products. VMS was developed for SG by Dotgolf who provide the software for every club in New Zealand, presumably via a contract with NZ Golf.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Obviously different in Scotland - via VMS - presumably to save small clubs the cost of purchasing commercial products. VMS was developed for SG by Dotgolf who provide the software for every club in New Zealand, presumably via a contract with NZ Golf.
The system they were running in NZ in 2007 was / is streets ahead of what EG are running now . Can only assume its down to cost and the EG bosses 🤔

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
One of the good things about the new Scottish Golf App (maybe England Golf app is the same) is that you can now see the full history of player scores (i think just for your club members).
There is an *** at my club who plays off an index of 8odd yet everytime i see him, he plays terrible. You look at our club website and look at his medal results and he never breaks nett par or stableford in any comp. He is a quite a strange bloke, super slow player and gets in to right angry moods - so dislikeable to the point where people (like my mate) have asked to be moved so as to not be in his group.

Anyway because the new app allows you to see all scores, i looked at his last twenty score differentials and cross checked them against his comp record (all rounds at our home course):
1 Medal 16.5
2 GP 7.8* (*means counting score)
3 GP 10.2*
4 GP 7.8*
5 Medal 13.0
6 Medal 15.1
7 Medal 14.8
8 GP 6.1*
9 Medal 20.0
10 GP 8.3*
11 GP 6.1*
12 Medal 15.1
13 GP 11.2*
14 GP 11.3
15 Medal 22.5
16 Penalty score
17 GP 11.3
18 Medal 24.2
19 GP 11.2*
20 Medal 21.9

So EVERY one of his 8 counters is a general play to give him an index of 8 (and ive only every seen him play on his own). If you took his best 8 medal rounds his Index would 17.4.
You'd call him a massive cheat but not sure who is cheating ?! 9 shots difference!!

Must be loads of this going on. Folk hanging on to "vanity handicaps" or others "cheating for financial gain."

Just needs two mates to collude.

You can even join clubs for nominal fees and maintain a handicap without ever setting foot in the place. I wonder how closely they monitor those "members?"

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably because it was an integrated package AND covered EVERY club! Simplicity often makes for far superior products!
As England has umpteen ISVs doing doing pretty well everything else (either club or competition management or both) why on earth would EG want to pay for anything when the ISVs simply had to provide an interface (ie data upload) to the WHS system.

IJames

Visit site
As England has umpteen ISVs doing doing pretty well everything else (either club or competition management or both) why on earth would EG want to pay for anything when the ISVs simply had to provide an interface (ie data upload) to the WHS system.
That's one approach! SG's is another - that potentially saves small clubs loads of money! BB's club seems to have taken that option!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in our swindle yesterday and as usual we all put in general play cards. I had a good round and was expecting a small cut. There was no club competition yesterday just general play cards submitted. First time that I have known the PCC to change for general play rounds so the cut was marginally better than I was expecting. There was no wind or rain, the course just played longer due to being back on the proper tees and the soft conditions.