WHS doesn't work

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If you are playing social golf with your mates, you can make your own course handicap using cr-par if you want it to sensible. Or just work out what score you need to get a handicap reduction if that is important to you; that's the number I have in my head.
Or just go out and try to shoot the best score you can!

Trying to work out what’s required for this, that or the other sounds like people are trying to manipulate their index.

Albo

Visit site
I appreciate the effort to explain this to me everyone thank you!
Going forwards I’ll look at the CR rather than any handicap strokes I receive. Good to know, thanks

Albo

Visit site
Or just go out and try to shoot the best score you can!

Trying to work out what’s required for this, that or the other sounds like people are trying to manipulate their index.
This is what I do do anyway, I was just surprised given what I shot versus the shots I got when I looked at the handicap list and how the Scottish golf app worked out my score differential.
Now I’m more educated

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It seems the hole pars have been set according to the length of the white tees which would explain the large difference.
"shot a 72 round a par 69, however, the slope of the course is 101 and course rating is 63.4, "

Would (CR-Par) make sense?
It (CR-Par) neither makes sense or does not make sense.
All it does is move everyone's handicap up a bit or down a bit, by the same amount, in terms of play against each other. This is unnecessary.
To the play against the course it makes no difference since only your gross score is used for assessing and adjusting your handicap.

In the old system, getting shots against the course was essential to handicap assessment and adjustment. You went up or down depending on your net score.
That is how our perception of "getting shots" against the course became hard-wired in our brains.
It is likely to take a good while yet for most of us to get used to the idea that our handicap matters not in our play against the course in this new system.
Handicaps are for playing with and against each other and not for play against the course - in this new system.

D-S

Visit site
Surely you need to know how many shots you’re getting, otherwise how can you judge when you have reached nett double bogey? In this regard, your nett score is important. The handicap system is not purely based on gross medal scores, nett double bogey is an integral part of it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Surely you need to know how many shots you’re getting, otherwise how can you judge when you have reached nett double bogey? In this regard, your nett score is important. The handicap system is not purely based on gross medal scores, nett double bogey is an integral part of it.
By adding up your shots, looking at the stroke index of the hole and checking your course handicap.
Hopefully, you will not have to do this very often.

The handicap system is based on gross scores.
The net double bogey limit applied to the old system as well. As this has not changed, it should not be presenting much of a problem to anyone.
When it applies, your gross score for that hole will be a net double bogey - this will be your Adjusted Gross Score for that hole.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

Visit site

It’s very rarely a problem. I’ve had a quick scan down my last 20 scores and I could see 3 occasions where I have reached or exceeded nett double.

I just play till I’ve holed out anyway. As that is the point of the game.

D-S

Visit site
It’s very rarely a problem. I’ve had a quick scan down my last 20 scores and I could see 3 occasions where I have reached or exceeded nett double.

I just play till I’ve holed out anyway. As that is the point of the game.
Depends what format you are playing.
I just love those players who insist on holing out whatever their score is in a Stableford competition.

wjemather

Visit site
I just love those players who insist on holing out whatever their score is in a Stableford competition.
We have a few groups (nearly all 20+ handicaps) who have their own side bets and so continue to all hole out in team formats - even when no-one can score.

BiMGuy

Visit site

It’s rare that I play in a Stableford.
I prefer to stick to match play and medal for competitions.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
It (CR-Par) neither makes sense or does not make sense.
All it does is move everyone's handicap up a bit or down a bit, by the same amount, in terms of play against each other. This is unnecessary.

Not necessarily correct....if you are playing mixed golf or any golf where players play off different tees then the CR-Par might be different for each tee.

peld

Visit site
One of the good things about the new Scottish Golf App (maybe England Golf app is the same) is that you can now see the full history of player scores (i think just for your club members).
There is an *** at my club who plays off an index of 8odd yet everytime i see him, he plays terrible. You look at our club website and look at his medal results and he never breaks nett par or stableford in any comp. He is a quite a strange bloke, super slow player and gets in to right angry moods - so dislikeable to the point where people (like my mate) have asked to be moved so as to not be in his group.

Anyway because the new app allows you to see all scores, i looked at his last twenty score differentials and cross checked them against his comp record (all rounds at our home course):

1 Medal 16.5
2 GP 7.8* (*means counting score)
3 GP 10.2*
4 GP 7.8*
5 Medal 13.0
6 Medal 15.1
7 Medal 14.8
8 GP 6.1*
9 Medal 20.0
10 GP 8.3*
11 GP 6.1*
12 Medal 15.1
13 GP 11.2*
14 GP 11.3
15 Medal 22.5
16 Penalty score
17 GP 11.3
18 Medal 24.2
19 GP 11.2*
20 Medal 21.9

So EVERY one of his 8 counters is a general play to give him an index of 8 (and ive only every seen him play on his own). If you took his best 8 medal rounds his Index would 17.4.
You'd call him a massive cheat but not sure who is cheating ?! 9 shots difference!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the good things about the new Scottish Golf App (maybe England Golf app is the same) is that you can now see the full history of player scores (i think just for your club members).
There is an *** at my club who plays off an index of 8odd yet everytime i see him, he plays terrible. You look at our club website and look at his medal results and he never breaks nett par or stableford in any comp. He is a quite a strange bloke, super slow player and gets in to right angry moods - so dislikeable to the point where people (like my mate) have asked to be moved so as to not be in his group.

Anyway because the new app allows you to see all scores, i looked at his last twenty score differentials and cross checked them against his comp record (all rounds at our home course):
1 Medal 16.5
3 GP 10.2*
4 GP 7.8*
5 Medal 13.0
6 Medal 15.1
7 Medal 14.8
8 GP 6.1*
9 Medal 20.0
10 GP 8.3*
11 GP 6.1*
12 Medal 15.1
13 GP 11.2*
14 GP 11.3
15 Medal 22.5
16 Penalty score
17 GP 11.3
18 Medal 24.2
19 GP 11.2*
20 Medal 21.9

So EVERY one of his 8 counters is a general play to give him an index of 8 (and ive only every seen him play on his own). If you took his best 8 medal rounds his Index would 17.4.
You'd call him a massive cheat but not sure who is cheating ?! 9 shots difference!!
We call this a Hollywood handicap.
don’t understand why anyone would want to have a cap he can’t play to.
takes all kinds, but does highlight the system can be manipulated.
Imagine if it was the other way around.??

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

1 Medal 16.5
3 GP 10.2*
4 GP 7.8*
5 Medal 13.0
6 Medal 15.1
7 Medal 14.8
8 GP 6.1*
9 Medal 20.0
10 GP 8.3*
11 GP 6.1*
12 Medal 15.1
13 GP 11.2*
14 GP 11.3
15 Medal 22.5
16 Penalty score
17 GP 11.3
18 Medal 24.2
19 GP 11.2*
20 Medal 21.9

Maybe he just doesnt handle the pressure of a competition and has a bit of a mental block about it. GP play, being not competitive, and he can play his best golf. Some are like that. There will always be outliers, but it doesnt indicate something sinister or cheating necessarily.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Maybe he just doesnt handle the pressure of a competition and has a bit of a mental block about it. GP play, being not competitive, and he can play his best golf. Some are like that. There will always be outliers, but it doesnt indicate something sinister or cheating necessarily.
I think it’s massively generous to suggest something is not amis, 10 GP rounds, none of them bad. Not saying he didn’t shoot them but I’d be highly suspicious as whether he pre-registered the rounds or just cherry picks good rounds.

peld

Visit site
ive seen him play and he isnt an 8hcp, full stop.
he usually plays by himself as well.

And come on - 9 shot difference is too much - we arent playing the masters. EVERY GP is better than his medal scores - you'd at least have one or two counters from a comp