WHS doesn't work

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My experience, for honest, ambitious people who want to improve, you get a handicap, improve and as Wabinez and Captain Black mention you win on your way down.

I cant begrudge anyone that.

I can begrudge the perennial 18 handicapper who wins twice a year, always off 18. Whether they mean it or not, they are gaming the system...
The handicap principle is quite the reverse on both points.
Winning on your way down is against the spirit of hc competition.
The perennial golfer off 18 who wins twice a year is precisely what hc competition is, and he is not 'gaming it'. Its the improver who is skirting with gaming it.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
The perennial golfer off 18 who wins twice a year is precisely what hc competition is, and he is not 'gaming it'. Its the improver who is skirting with gaming it.

What? How?

The improver wins on the way down, a purple patch of maybe 2 or 3 years. Then an occasional win in every few years. Thats got to be the norm.

The other scenario you suggest someone is born an 18 handicapper, never improves or regressess and somehow wins thice a year is they way its supposed to work.

I reckon theres 180 active competition golfers at my club, if the system was perfect, and there are say 30 comps a year, thats once every 6 years you should expect to win....

Captain_Black.

Visit site

The improving golfer is an excuse by some to excuse those gaming the system.
Sure, occasionally an improving golfer will shoot the lights out, then the following week they will probably shoot way over par because as we all know, consistency is the hardest thing to achieve in golf.

In all the years I've been playing, I've only rarely seen an improving golfer shoot an incredible score, when I have seen it, then I say brilliant, well done.
But, most of the perennial 45 points plus merchants I see are seasoned players keeping their h/c artificially high.
They play well within their ability & can shoot well below their h/c when they feel the need.

These are the players that I have an issue with.
As I've said, golf isn't supposed to be easy.
It's no use blaming the h/c committee.
Golf for years (inthe main) has been a beacon of self regulation played by honest individuals who prided themselves on playing in the spirit of the game.
That is what we have lost.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What? How?

The improver wins on the way down, a purple patch of maybe 2 or 3 years. Then an occasional win in every few years. Thats got to be the norm.

The other scenario you suggest someone is born an 18 handicapper, never improves or regressess and somehow wins thice a year is they way its supposed to work.

I reckon theres 180 active competition golfers at my club, if the system was perfect, and there are say 30 comps a year, thats once every 6 years you should expect to win....

Yes, the winning improver is the anomaly and distortion that should be a thing of the past thanks now to WHS. Its one of its great advantages over UHS.

Yes, nothing wrong with the stable 18hc winning twice a year. In itself.
The precision you add for your own club is a different scenario, and indeed a win every six years should be the mean in those specific circumstances (not an absolute though). Equally, someone playing a hundred comps per year with 50 entrants, should average two wins a year.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone going to mention what the max handicap was when they started ??????

when I first joined this club in 1986, the secretary would not give anybody an official handicap until they could produce 3 cards all with scores of less than 100 and if you went in to a comp you had to play off 24.

This was the first time I had an official handicap of 22, they gave me that based my saying I had that at a non affiliated 9 hole course, within a few months it was 16.

peld

Visit site
Our club just sent round a reminder about general play for the season.
They are saying to put in a general play, we need to sign a book before play and submit the physical card afterwards, otherwise it’s a penalty score.
I challenged the need for this given we don’t do this if we went to another course. They replied saying they were inundated with complaints of cheating last year.
thoughts?

D

Deleted member 15344

They are saying to put in a general play, we need to sign a book before play and submit the physical card afterwards, otherwise it’s a penalty score.
I challenged the need for this given we don’t do this if we went to another course. They replied saying they were inundated with complaints of cheating last year.
thoughts?

Just use the EG app then.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is that not offside re WHS ?
If they insist on it, just put in cards that keep your hc neutral regardless of score.
If they mean if general play scores are still optional, it seems reasonable.

IJames

Visit site
thoughts?
So what's the process for registering a GP round at an away course?

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
thoughts?

As per others just use the app.

Our admin guy was quite shocked last year when he realised there were around 40-50 scores being recorded every day. I would imagine the club would soon get fed up of the time needed if they had to check this many cards everyday.

D-S

Visit site
I don't know. But aren't you always supposed to declare your intention to submit a score? I just told my club I would be submitting every round.
You need to register your intent to play via whatever means the club stipulates or on the the EG App on the day prior to play. In the words of EG, if you don’t pre register on the day you don’t exist.

Albo

Visit site
Not sure if this has been covered in the last 86 pages…but….
I had, what I thought was a decent round yesterday, I’m an 8.4 cap at the moment and shot a 72 round a par 69, however, the slope of the course is 101 and course rating is 63.4, putting my scoring differential up at 9.6. Now I’m fine with that, it is an easy course. What is really confusing for me is when you calculate my playing handicap round there it gives me 7 shots, I effectively score -4 under my playing handicap, yet shoot over for my HCI. To have made effective par against my HCI I would have needed to shoot probably a 71, so why would my course handicap not be 2? Why give me 7 shots?
It’s confusing me

RichA

Visit site
I had, what I thought was a decent round yesterday, I’m an 8.4 cap at the moment and shot a 72 round a par 69, however, the slope of the course is 101 and course rating is 63.4, putting my scoring differential up at 9.6. Now I’m fine with that, it is an easy course. What is really confusing for me is when you calculate my playing handicap round there it gives me 7 shots, I effectively score -4 under my playing handicap, yet shoot over for my HCI. To have made effective par against my HCI I would have needed to shoot probably a 71, so why would my course handicap not be 2? Why give me 7 shots?
It’s confusing me
Maths innit.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
It’s confusing me
Par is (currently) irrelevant, you had 7 shots on 63.4 - that was your target

D-S

Visit site
It’s confusing me
If CONGU opt for CR-Par, as has been mentioned by EG, then your course handicap will reflect the low CR.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s confusing me
Because at the moment we don't include CR in the PH handicap calculation. So your aim, if wishing to play to your handicap, is to play to CR (not par) plus CH.