WHS doesn't work

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A nett double bogey for a 54 habdicapper could be a 10, and it still gets them zero points.

Explain why that is a great score for a 54 handicapper?
Yes but it could be a 8 depends how you look at it.

Tee off don’t complete the hole.

Net double bogey on every hole gives them +36 that’s 18 under???

wjemather

Visit site
Yes but it could be a 8 depends how you look at it.

Tee off don’t complete the hole.

Net double bogey on every hole gives them +36 that’s 18 under???
They don't get to record nett double bogeys for a scratch golfer!
The 54 handicapoer's nett double bogeys are +5 on every hole.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, if players are playing this format, and strictly following the Rules of Golf, and picking up as soon as they can no longer match nett par, then they could have much higher Score Differentials. I dare not think what sort of handicaps these players might have, if their club happen to play this format quite frequently. Thankfully, we only do one a year.

I mean, this is a fairly ridiculous statement.

If the score differential is that much higher, then chances are it will never go on their handicap record.
If it does, it may make a negligible difference to their index. It certainly isn’t going to mean that doing this competition once a year means that a 12 index player will suddenly have an index of 17 after playing it

Swango1980

Visit site
I mean, this is a fairly ridiculous statement.

If the score differential is that much higher, then chances are it will never go on their handicap record.
If it does, it may make a negligible difference to their index. It certainly isn’t going to mean that doing this competition once a year means that a 12 index player will suddenly have an index of 17 after playing it
So, you don't think a Score Diff of 14.2 is much different to 11.0!????

The difference in Score Diff will be directly related to how many 1 pointers a golfer would have had

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, you don't think a Score Diff of 14.2 is much different to 11.0!????

The difference in Score Diff will be directly related to how many 1 pointers a golfer would have had
The effect of that will be minimal. It's not like they'll suddenly jump a few shots.

Mountain out of a mole hill

Swango1980

Visit site
The effect of that will be minimal. It's not like they'll suddenly jump a few shots.

Mountain out of a mole hill
Looking at my 8 best score differentials, had they been par bogey competitions and I picked up when I couldn't tie hole, they would change as follows:

11.0 goes to 14.2
10.2 goes to 14.2
7.0 goes to 10.2
11.8 goes to 15.0
11.8 goes to 14.2
8.6 goes to 11.0
3.9 goes to 4.7
8.1 goes to 9.8

I'd say those differences are fairly significant. Higher handicappers who may be more inconsistent and have more 1 pointers, the differences would be higher

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am I understanding this 'debate'?
What hole score is allocated if you can't score a point and pick up in a stableford comp and lose the hole and pick up in a bogey comp? (ie enter 0 in both cases).

Swango1980

Visit site
What hole score is allocated if you can't score a point and pick up in a stableford comp and lose the hole and pick up in a bogey comp? (ie enter 0 in both cases).
Par/Bogey Competition

From a competition point of view, technically a player can pick up as soon as they cannot tie the hole. In that case, every time this happens they'd get a nett double bogey.

However, if they choose just to hole out anyway, on several / all of these holes they could potentially score a nett bogey. And, their record would then show nett bogeys on these holes, not nett doubles.

So, depending on what the golfer decides to do, the concluding Score Differential could be significantly different. I'm pretty sure most golfers get at least 1 nett bogey per round. Generally, I'll get quite a number of these. So, if I picked up every time I couldn't score in the Par/Bogey competition, as I've demonstrated, my Score Differentials would be very different.

D-S

Visit site
The issue is that if you pick up immediately when you lose a hole in a Bogey format then you score a 0 and receive 0 points, whereas if you hole out the next shot you may well achieve 1 Stableford point. If that happens often enough, picking up will have a material effect on your Score Differential.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Par/Bogey Competition

From a competition point of view, technically a player can pick up as soon as they cannot tie the hole. In that case, every time this happens they'd get a nett double bogey.

However, if they choose just to hole out anyway, on several / all of these holes they could potentially score a nett bogey. And, their record would then show nett bogeys on these holes, not nett doubles.

So, depending on what the golfer decides to do, the concluding Score Differential could be significantly different. I'm pretty sure most golfers get at least 1 nett bogey per round. Generally, I'll get quite a number of these. So, if I picked up every time I couldn't score in the Par/Bogey competition, as I've demonstrated, my Score Differentials would be very different.

That is ridiculous. One, or possibly two holes at the most.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking at my 8 best score differentials, had they been par bogey competitions and I picked up when I couldn't tie hole, they would change as follows:

11.0 goes to 14.2
10.2 goes to 14.2
7.0 goes to 10.2
11.8 goes to 15.0
11.8 goes to 14.2
8.6 goes to 11.0
3.9 goes to 4.7
8.1 goes to 9.8

I'd say those differences are fairly significant. Higher handicappers who may be more inconsistent and have more 1 pointers, the differences would be higher
But they are'nt all bogey/par comps.

Clubs might run 1 a year. They even might do 2 a year.

They aren't doing 25 of them a year.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Swango & D-S.
As it happens I've never played par/bogey format in my life. I don't intend to start now. I don't know if my club even has one.

Swango1980

Visit site
That is ridiculous. One, or possibly two holes at the most.
I've have literally listed the differences to my score differentials. Did you read that post???

Of my top 8 rounds, I had at 1 pointers in all of them. Only one round did I limit that to one. At worst, I had a round with 6 one pointers.