WHS doesn't work

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well, at least your good scores are from less than a year ago. Your handicap is relatively up to date compared to many, unless you'd like the system to be even more drastic and be able to provide significant increases based on 7 scores, forgetting ones before that?

If you lost a good score and handicap stayed same, then it would be because it was replaced by a same score.

All in all I’ve felt whs is a improvement on the old system, I like the way it’s so easy to enter general play rounds through the app and it negates the use of me having to work through my less than helpful club.

Also the h/c is more flexible playing at away clubs

My most recent score was 97 and the one that dropped off was 92

Swango1980

Visit site
All in all I’ve felt whs is a improvement on the old system, I like the way it’s so easy to enter general play rounds through the app and it negates the use of me having to work through my less than helpful club.

Also the h/c is more flexible playing at away clubs

My most recent score was 97 and the one that dropped off was 92
Yes, but your 92 would not have been replaced by a 97 (unless you had some serious nett double bogey adjustments). Your 92 was probably something like your 8th best score, and it was replaced by something very close to that, which was previously your 9th best score.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes, but your 92 would not have been replaced by a 97 (unless you had some serious nett double bogey adjustments). Your 92 was probably something like your 8th best score, and it was replaced by something very close to that, which was previously your 9th best score.

Oh I think I understand now👍

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just outta interest, our club has gone from White, yellow, red comps last season to everyone playing in a single comp no matter what tees you play off. Is this the norm with WHS now. All the lads in our fuddle are not impressed one bit. The thought is that it wasn’t broke so why fix it. No one seems to understand why it was changed. Esp with the extra shots people are getting. Lads not happy going from Div 1 to division 2 with the extra shots. Thoughts guys.

Swango1980

Visit site
Just outta interest, our club has gone from White, yellow, red comps last season to everyone playing in a single comp no matter what tees you play off. Is this the norm with WHS now. All the lads in our fuddle are not impressed one bit. The thought is that it wasn’t broke so why fix it. No one seems to understand why it was changed. Esp with the extra shots people are getting. Lads not happy going from Div 1 to division 2 with the extra shots. Thoughts guys.
We certainly don't do that, not aware of any around us that do. Simply, comps off back tees during main season, yellow tees in winter.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

It is not the norm as far as i am aware. However...it is now an option for committees to run comps where players can play off (as long as the tees are rated for the relevant gender) any tee they like. Once we get past the dogma of whites/yellows being for men and reds for ladies only and all tees are rated for both genders then this will allow a huge amount of flexibility to committees with regards how they set up their comps.

I dont get the concern with whether a player is in Div 1, 2 or 3 in a comp...unless the prize fund is different in each division. At our place the Divisions are split into equal numerical sizes based on comp entry levels....so someone might find themselves in Division 1 one week and next week in Division 2...depending on the spread of handicaps...the following week they may be back in division 1. Prize fund ofr each division is exactly the same.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Presumably this suits you though? You have posted before about preferring golf off yellow tees now. I'd be using the yellow tees if that was an option at my place.

D-S

Visit site
It’s entirely up to the Club whether they run mixed tee or single tee competition. We run both.
As with all competitions on the calendar, it is always a good idea to have a mix as you are catering for a variety of members who have differing views. A blend of team, individual, medal, Stableford, mixed and single tee as well as just men or women or mixed across all formats.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Presumably this suits you though? You have posted before about preferring golf off yellow tees now. I'd be using the yellow tees if that was an option at my place.
It actually don’t suit me at all LT, in fact it has screwed me head up. Reason being, last year I got 19 shots of whites and 18 of yellows. With just the one comp I get 23 off whites and 19 off yellows. 😳 That don’t change the fact that I have been rammel off the tees.I lost three balls from my drives on Tuesday. That’s six shots reloading. Yet off the yellows they are safe as the drive takes the ball past the danger areas. Oddly enough a PP mentioned on Tuesday that he has not played any course where the difference off the tees between whites and yellows are as large as ours on some of the tees it is 30 yards. Again is that the norm. Am off to the course in half an hour. Am going off the yellows.😉 watch the “I played today thread” later.

oh ah you should of heard the lads on Tuesday when a 21 handicapper won on Saturday with 49 points. One player off single figures in the top 10. Me bro knows the lad and said he ain’t a bandit, but had the round of his life. 😁👍

Tashyboy

Visit site
It is not the norm as far as i am aware. However...it is now an option for committees to run comps where players can play off (as long as the tees are rated for the relevant gender) any tee they like. Once we get past the dogma of whites/yellows being for men and reds for ladies only and all tees are rated for both genders then this will allow a huge amount of flexibility to committees with regards how they set up their comps.

I dont get the concern with whether a player is in Div 1, 2 or 3 in a comp...unless the prize fund is different in each division. At our place the Divisions are split into equal numerical sizes based on comp entry levels....so someone might find themselves in Division 1 one week and next week in Division 2...depending on the spread of handicaps...the following week they may be back in division 1. Prize fund ofr each division is exactly the same.
I think there concerns re moving up a division is they may get an extra shot or so but the higher handicappers get more shots so less of a chance of winning?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I’ve played in lots of mixed tee comps but they’re only partly player choice i.e women play off reds, seniors can go off the ‘mens’ forward tees (UK yellow) and all others off comp tees (UK white)

So a bit of a mix of old V new thinking

There’s 5 sets of tees and the longest (Tournament) and shortest (beginner) aren’t used by anyone in normal comps (although all 5 sets are rated for men and women)
Just noticed if I were to play the most forward green tees (at 5,400yrds) I’d be playing off a 6 handicap !! By contrast the tournament tees would see me play off 20 (7,200yrds)

For social golf I generally decide on the day between two sets based on weather/wind and whether I fancy playing off a 13 or 16 handicap

Swango1980

Visit site
It’s entirely up to the Club whether they run mixed tee or single tee competition. We run both.
As with all competitions on the calendar, it is always a good idea to have a mix as you are catering for a variety of members who have differing views. A blend of team, individual, medal, Stableford, mixed and single tee as well as just men or women or mixed across all formats.
Personally, I'm not a fan of having players playing off different tees in the same comp. Sure, maybe a once in a blue moon event, but not regular.

Theoretically, playing off different tees is effectively playing a different course. So, if you had a club with multiple 18 hole courses, it would be the same as having one 18 hole comp but allowing players to play on different 18 hole courses. Each course represents different challenges. I suppose you are also relying on the fact that each course is rated to absolute perfection, so that when handicap adjustments are made, they are done so perfectly. I'm sure that isn't always be the case.

What would be interesting, I suppose, is if many comps were run like this, comparing the % winners that come from each tee, average scores from each, etc. Just to see if things pan out fairly equally over the long term at that particular club

D

Deleted member 29109

Groups playing off multiple tees doesn’t help pace of play in my experience.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We can now choose whether to play medal rounds off forward or back tees.

If we play off the forward tees a two shot balancing adjustment is applied to our PH. Frankly I don’t like it.

There are not uncommon weather and underfoot circumstances when I find that playing off the back tees is more than two shots harder than the forward. I also suspect that, especially in such circumstances, the higher handicapper in particular benefits significantly more than the lower from playing off the forward tees. After all a two shot adjustment applied to a PH of say 8, seems much more likely to have a significant impact than a two shot adjustment to a PH of say 24.

If we are going to be playing mixed tee comps my feeling is that the balancing adjustment should be stepped in a similar way to the buffer under the old handicapping system.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does not happen where I play.

Many years ago I tried to get through 2 separate comps, one off whites and one off yellows, on the same day for seniors but the idea was turned down on the basis that too many seniors make mistakes with just one comp.

Although we have been rated for all tees we are only going to change it when we have got through all the existing cards. If men play the shorter tees we will have to look at the par on a couple of holes so doing so could be a bit of a headache in a Stableford comp. Similarly if ladies play off the middle tees the pars need looking at.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
BIB…where do the extra shots come from? In a mixed tee competition at my place the balancing adjustment is a reduction in PH for playing off the forward tees - with the reduction being the rounded difference between the CRs for forward and back tees.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Groups playing off multiple tees doesn’t help pace of play in my experience.
Ideally you would group people together in yellow tee and white tee groups. That would be fine. I agree, if you are moving between tees within a group, done that in mixed comps, then it does slow things down.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Ideally you would group people together in yellow tee and white tee groups. That would be fine. I agree, if you are moving between tees within a group, done that in mixed comps, then it does slow things down.

Yeah I've even done 3 sets of tees in a 4-ball and no doubt it adds time, although like any group of golfers (same tees or not) there are those who know how to keep that time to an absolute minimum so that its not an issue and those who are far less 'aware'
One women I used to play beside was always' club out' and off to her tee area while the guys were sorting themselves out (not in line of play obviously) so it makes no difference to the round time if all were on same tee

Springveldt

Visit site
Have you only played 7 rounds of golf in 5 months?
With qualifying rounds I don't think that would be that uncommon for a lot of us that play parkland courses. From mid October till the start of April we don't run any qualifier comps since the course is usually wet/frozen etc and we have fairway protection on then. Throw in the monsoon season we've had in the North East of England since the start of March and I've only got 7 qualifying scores this season so far, my other 13 are all from last year the last of which was on the 8th October 2022.

Springveldt

Visit site
We ran 1 comp last year where you could go off the whites or yellows from what I can remember and I think the vast majority went off whites. I'm not sure if it was an ego thing or just what you are used to. At ours the whites are competition only, you can't use them if you are just having a friendly knock etc so I think some probably just went off whites because that's what they have always done. We have 5 par 3's and last week with a laser they measured 169, 208, 189, 195 and 162. I've played with some seniors that need their driver for 3 of them, I'm sure they would love the option to go off the yellows as it knocks about 20 yards off each of them.