WHS doesn't work

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
That's nothing. Our Saturday Board Event was won with 52 points! New golfer with a handicap in the 40's.

I'm all for inclusivity but was a single division event and in my opinion made a mockery of an important day.

Fortunately we have a restriction of 28 - so whilst they collected the prize money they were not eligible for the Trophy or their name in gold embossed lettering on the board!
No issue with the WHS though.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I don't know if it's ego either, perhaps you can call it that, but I see it more as exasperation that you work hard to get your handicap down, and then in two rounds you can lose it all just like that. Whereas previously you would have earned a bit of respite.
The respite was just massaging the ego. The handicap lower than you are really playing to. WHS is more responsive to reality. If you are really playing to a handicap in WHS, you wont lose it just like that either.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Funnily enough I have the same gripe but for the opposite reason I think. I used to prefer creeping up slowly for bad rounds, I don't like the fact that I can have a couple of average rounds and then shoot up a hole shot and a half in two weeks just because I had two good rounds 18 months ago that have dropped off. I think it's too big of an increase too quickly.
WHS isnt really as drastic as that. A good round, while dropping out in a single step after 20 rounds, actually has only a 1/8 of an influence on your handicap. Which is the tempering of its effect.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Yes the max increase is the real villain in hc golf and cause of most of the reported woes. WHS itself, a clear improvement on our old system imho.

I can see the sense it that. I also have no problem with the handicap scale going as high as it is, (or even higher to get people started) but there has to be a cut off for competitions at some point. 28/36 had some logic behind it.

Bit like the provisional driving licence! :)

Alan Clifford

Visit site
I can see the sense it that. I also have no problem with the handicap scale going as high as it is, (or even higher to get people started) but there has to be a cut off for competitions at some point. 28/36 had some logic behind it.

Bit like the provisional driving licence! :)
What is the logic for 28 for one subset of humans and 36 another subset?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The respite was just massaging the ego. The handicap lower than you are really playing to. WHS is more responsive to reality. If you are really playing to a handicap in WHS, you wont lose it just like that either.
Quite...my handicap under CONGU was 8 - I liked it being 8 - but I wasn't very good at playing to 8 - I was good at playing to 10 i.e. making use of the buffer. But back then I wouldn't want to be 10 - oh no - that's no longer single figures. Vanity and ego. And when WHS found me with a CH round my own track of 10...horrors!

However I sorted out how WHS worked and accepted (putting my vanity and ego aside) - that if I wanted a CH of 8 I'd have to work at my game rather than have it based upon what could have been one or two fluke rounds and sustained by the buffer.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe your club should be imposing handicap limits on 'major' or board competitions. Even my place has a restriction to say playing handicaps are restricted to 20 and below for men, and 36 for ladies. By all means enter if you are higher, but you'll play off 20 in the competition.
We have it’s 32 but he still won!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to like Scrambles when they first become popular, It was a group of 3 or 4 trying to get a ball round in the lowest score possible and having a bit of fun along they way.

Now it's turn up, can't use your drive here, we have to use Bert's drive here because it's the best one he's hit in the last 4 holes, even though it's only 100 yards off the tee in the rough, come the last 6 holes, you don't even get to hit a drive because your quota has been used. Some rules don't even let you hit on the last par 3's if you have used your par 3 shot(s) earlier, and now for some reason the 'Can't hit the second shot if it's your Drive' has crept in, what utter nonsense.

Give me a proper no holds barred Texas Scramble any day for a bit of fun, and I don't care if I've come first or last, we've scored the best we can

I detest scrambles....I dont play in them if it is the only golf that will be played in the day. I can tolerate a nine hole scramble as a morning warm up event for a round in the afternoon on a society day, but thats about it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's nothing. Our Saturday Board Event was won with 52 points! New golfer with a handicap in the 40's.

I'm all for inclusivity but was a single division event and in my opinion made a mockery of an important day.

Fortunately we have a restriction of 28 - so whilst they collected the prize money they were not eligible for the Trophy or their name in gold embossed lettering on the board!
Someone will ba along shortly to tell you that’s not WHS fault.
52 points is a joke.
we had several like this but it has taken three years to settle down a bit.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Only gripe I’ve got with whs is I’ve only had 7 scores in from 2023 so most of my 20 scores are from July 2022 and on, so a full year ago and if your a old bugger like me a year takes it’s toll😂

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some rules don't even let you hit on the last par 3's if you have used your par 3 shot(s) earlier, and now for some reason the 'Can't hit the second shot if it's your Drive' has crept in, what utter nonsense.

We used to have a regular Sunday group which always played scrambles. There were normally more ladies in the group and quite often there would be 3 ladies and one man. Imagine what would happen without the simple rule 'the person who played the last shot cannot take the next'.

Similarly imagine a group with one very long hitter compared to rest.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well if that’s his best score his handicap will hardly change
under the old system he would have his legs cut off for that.
at my old club if you won a comp off this sort of cap you immediately went to 28

If they did that they were not abiding by the rules of the UHS

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If they did that they were not abiding by the rules of the UHS
It didn’t happen then as far as I can remember.
if you shot a great score you were docked an extra shot.

most clubs would not let you in unless you could play to a certain standard. So there wasn’t many 40+ cappers.
Now your in as long as you have the cash !

I have never seen 50+ points until WHS it can’t just be a coincidence.
This is a new inclusivity thing imo. Handicap comittiees are scared of causing offence by setting limits in comps.
As far as I can remember you had to play off 18 to play in the majors.

wjemather

Visit site
Well if that’s his best score his handicap will hardly change
under the old system he would have his legs cut off for that.
at my old club if you won a comp off this sort of cap you immediately went to 28
This is utter drivel.
Under WHS, a new golfer's index is very sensitive to good scores, so a 52 point score will result in an extreme reduction. Indeed, it would be a far greater reduction than would be seen under the old system, which would require manual intervention to set a new exact handicap.
Your old club had gone rogue if they were truly doing this - which is very doubtful.

Last edited: