WHS doesn't work

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I wonder if we will ever get to the point that club competitions just use the differential to determine the winner and allow people to play which tees they want, at least for Medals.

I have personal doubts that the differentials round these parts have any accurate relection on the practical 'playing differentials'

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We did one earlier in the month. Only 4 people played off the Yellow Tees and the usual 100+ played off white.

Make of that what you will.
Perhaps felt awkward? It may need to be in place for longer to see if it becomes more accepted within their groups.

Also, as above, people take a while to deal with change.

D-S

Visit site
We run mixed tee medals and Stablefords midweek all the time now. Good mix of tee use, Women currently usuall only off reds not the other shorter rated course, we will get the yellows rated shortly and some of the better women will no doubt play off them.
The only issue is that when we have three sets of tees in play in Stablefords (Blues CR 67.6, Yellows 69.6 and Whites 71.6 - all par 70) then players off the whites have a 4 shot mixed amendment which make the scores look unnaturally good.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I've never submitted a GP score.
I don't refuse to, I just feel I hand in enough comp scores over the year. Other times I'm happy to have a social game with gimmies etc.
Social games, I'm either playing with a full set of old bats, or occasionally, one or two old bats in the bag along with more modern stuff. These could be deemed to be deliberate poor scores, if I submitted them - so I would never submit them.
Comp tomorrow - all 21st century clubs apart from the putter. I've never used a 21st century putter in a comp so my handicap is true to the clubs that I use.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I've never submitted a GP score.
I don't refuse to, I just feel I hand in enough comp scores over the year. Other times I'm happy to have a social game with gimmies etc.
Social games, I'm either playing with a full set of old bats, or occasionally, one or two old bats in the bag along with more modern stuff. These could be deemed to be deliberate poor scores, if I submitted them - so I would never submit them.
Comp tomorrow - all 21st century clubs apart from the putter. I've never used a 21st century putter in a comp so my handicap is true to the clubs that I use.

I think that's fine though - my dad plays 2 comps a week, every week! GP scores aren't necessary for him!

But we have plenty who play less than a comp a month and still no GP's

D

Deleted member 29109

Thank goodness for that, I based a career around it. It will take 100 years to disassociate "Red Tees" with women! 😁

I was wondering if "ego" has something to do with it.
It very much does. I play with my FiL occasionally who has health issues and has lost a lot of distance as he’s got older. Still plays of the yellows during the week and whites at the weekend. He struggles to reach many of the par 4s now and gets very frustrated by it. But will he move to a shorter tee? Hell no! And the group that he plays with are all the same.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are folk who have no idea what a "social game" without a scorecard is!

I have a mate like that.

Even when we have temporary greens he putts on them like he is trying to win the Open The other mate and I just wedge to the green and use the wedge to putt with, picking the ball up if we miss.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thank goodness for that, I based a career around it. It will take 100 years to disassociate "Red Tees" with women! 😁

I was wondering if "ego" has something to do with it.
I think the colour coding probably has to be changed for that to genuinely happen. Red tees have too much of a stigma attached to them. Change the colours and call them competition tees, standard and ........ can't think of something suitable, short doesn't sit right. Anyway, you're right so we need to do a fundamental change.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
I think the colour coding probably has to be changed for that to genuinely happen. Red tees have too much of a stigma attached to them. Change the colours and call them competition tees, standard and ........ can't think of something suitable, short doesn't sit right. Anyway, you're right so we need to do a fundamental change.
I think Redlibbets in Kent have thought about this, their forward Tees are coloured Gold and are rated for both men and ladies

YandaB

Visit site
St Andrews have gone for Black, Blue, Green (longest to shortest). It mirrors Ski and Mountain bike trails (which also have Red, between Black and Blue) so there is some familiarity with the system for a few.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We did one earlier in the month. Only 4 people played off the Yellow Tees and the usual 100+ played off white.

Make of that what you will.
Depends on your game.
in my case I get 6 shots off yellow but 7 off whites.
I can’t really reach the bunkers off the whites unless I flush one.
but off the yellows I can reach them all .
it leaves me one more club most times but our bunkers are so penal they must be avoided at all times.!
so I prefer the whites.
must be courses that have the opposite to this.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
People don’t like change?
They don’t mind change, well I don’t, but last year at the end of the season I got 19 shots off whites and 18 off yellows. We had white and yellow comps. Now we have one comp, play off what you want. Now you get 23 shots off the whites. Say what 😳 that’s mint until you play in a medal like today. After 10 holes am 3 under, after 18 holes am about 10 over with three lost balls and an appointment with my drs tomorrow for my Tourettes.
However when we were chilling in the 19th none of the 14 lads that p,ayed in the fuddle had a clue how or why the new WHS is working.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Depends on your game.
in my case I get 6 shots off yellow but 7 off whites.
I can’t really reach the bunkers off the whites unless I flush one.
but off the yellows I can reach them all .
it leaves me one more club most times but our bunkers are so penal they must be avoided at all times.!
so I prefer the whites.
must be courses that have the opposite to this.
Yep, mine is the same for me.
Par 70 off both tees, but I need to shoot 2 shots lower off the yellows to achieve the same score differential.
There are two par-4s where I can hit driver off the tee on the whites, go over some trees and cut the corner a bit.
Off the yellows I am too near the trees to get over them with a driver, need a more lofted club and don't get as far down the fairway as from the whites.
But the Course Rating takes account of the shorter distance of the hole.
Our shortest par-4 I have a favourite place on the fairway to aim for with an iron from the tee. Off the yellows I still want to be in that same place so I take a shorter iron.
Not much difference to me that the hole is shorter.

The overall shorter distance from the yellows makes it somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0 less than the whites for me and the way I play, but not 1.9 which the CR and SR make it.
For me the yellows is more difficult. If I played all my qualifiers from the yellows, I think my HI would be higher.

We have only one fairway bunker - to catch a second shot on a par 5.
There are bunkers at driving distance on some holes, but they are in the rough.

I don't get any shots off either tees, I merely make a gross score, and thus a score differential. I think everybody does this.

I get shots relative to other players when playing with and against those other players.