• More distance

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • More control

Votes: 76 82.6%

• Total voters

Kraxx68

Head Pro
Visit site
I loved last years Taylormade TPX, but baulked at the price of this years TP5, but I managed to get a deal on a few sleeves a few weeks ago and they were mint, less spin off the driver, great control in the wind and stopped incredibly on greens, lastly, they felt great off the putter face... seems premium price for premium balls can make a difference... once the price comes down I'll stock up for 2018 competitions...

D

Deleted member 1740

I reckon most of us would be suited to pinnacle gold's, only the really good ball strikers benefit from the premium ball.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I reckon most of us would be suited to pinnacle gold's, only the really good ball strikers benefit from the premium ball.

I doubt there'd be any drop off in scores if we all used cheaper balls. Still, people like spending money and looking good. Who am I to judge.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
No need for such a choice - the best balls provide both across the range of clubs and conditions.

Pinnacle gold won't go any further than a ProV1 struck properly

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Control on the green is a much better quality to have.

I am already selecting how far I want the ball to go by choosing a club and shot type.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Distance for me, I don't think at my level I can tell much difference around the greens with different balls. I have a mixed bag of practice balls I use for chipping etc and they all seem to perform just as well as each other.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Dean Snell (original creator of ProV1 and TP balls for Taylormade) says that most 3 piece balls these days will go the same distance, there's hardly anything in it. He says they only way they behave differently is around the green, so pick your ball based on 100 yards in.

Therefore, I'd pick more control

D

Deleted member 1740

Dean Snell (original creator of ProV1 and TP balls for Taylormade) says that most 3 piece balls these days will go the same distance, there's hardly anything in it. He says they only way they behave differently is around the green, so pick your ball based on 100 yards in.

Therefore, I'd pick more control

How the ball behaves is dependant on the quality of the strike.

I've topped plenty of brand new pro v's.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
How the ball behaves is dependant on the quality of the strike.

I've topped plenty of brand new pro v's.
Exactly. Unless you've got a consistent strike then a premium ball has as much chance of hurting you as helping you. Pick a ball you like the look of and enjoy your golf. Very few of us are good enough to notice any real difference in scoring.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I use Premium balls - ProVs, Z-Stars, TP5 etc - in the summer or when greens are firm. The extra spin helps around the green.
From now until about April I'll switch to the next level down - Chromesoft, AD333Tour etc..
Softer greens mean you don't need the spin the premium balls give you.
As long as they're fairly soft for chips and putts, I'll use them.
Played with an old Z-Balata on Monday - performed much like modern mid-range balls, a bit clicky but no worse than many others.
At our level, the golf ball is over-rated as a game changer

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I (I guess along with the majority) cant strike the ball well enough to take advantage of the level of control available from a premium soft ball but again like most I don't want to play with rocks either (which is often seen as the distance 'enabler')

Really I want a ball that'll maximise the limited distance without jarring but at the same time wont scuff up after a few hits

So I guess my answer to the OP is neither ;) (but chose distance anyway)

FWIW if I'm flush then I'll buy Callaways' Chrome-soft as my preference but very happy with the Pinnacle Soft ball I tried a few weeks back (nothing like the distance balls I tried a couple years back) I'd love to know what a better player thinks of them rather than the hype from Titleist

G

guest100718

I dont really get the question. Its not 1980s when it was one or the other.

The modern balls offers both distance and control.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Unless you are a good golfer I like many others I suspect whatever ball is used wouldn't make a great deal of differance.

Most balls now are of a decant standard but I would go for distance as I'm not good enough to control a ball hitting on to a green

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly. Unless you've got a consistent strike then a premium ball has as much chance of hurting you as helping you. Pick a ball you like the look of and enjoy your golf. Very few of us are good enough to notice any real difference in scoring.

Was going to say similar. At 27 handicap I can't see the difference in a £15 a dozen ball and a £40 a dozen. My handicap won't change if I start using Pro V1's.