How many wedges

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My pitching wedge is 46degrees. What the preference be for wedges after that 52 and 58 degree or 50, 54 and 58 degree. Below pitching wedge I play very few full shots am fairly happy hitting a 100 yard and even 80 yard shot with a pitching wedge. I’m thinking a 52and 58 will suit me as I think more wedges could mean more indecision, particularly on those green side type shots..

You’ll know your game and skill level better than us to know if 4degree gapping is really gonna make a difference to your round score instead of 6degree gapping

Mine are gapped at 6 degrees. (42.5pw, 48 & 54) which gives me roughly a 15m spread between them on full shots. Notwithstanding variables in ground conditions/gripping down/weather/less than full swings/and downright lack of ability to execute full shot result consistently

Off 13 index I’m nowhere near good enough that switching to 4degree gaps would reduce my scoring, so for me there's no point wasting money

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I carry the following wedges and the distance I expect with a full swing

Srixon (from the set I use). 125 yards
Cleveland RTX 50° 110 yards
TaylorMade high for. 56°. 85 yards
Cleveland RTX 58°. 65 yards

Mandofred

Visit site
So you have 5 wedges

4 woods

1 putter

What irons do you have then

Gapping must be interesting. Driver to 5W then to a 9W but I guess these are in place of hybrids. If it works then go with whatever. Not sure a 64 is for me. I tend to lose more shots than I gain with a 60 so this would be a step too far
Ha....you guys are thinking like "normal" people. Normal I've never been. Arthur.....NO irons in my bag....although I do have 8-9-pw hybrid irons. Homer...2 hybrids in there as well, a 6+7 Ping. With my current set up I'm thinking about dropping the 7 hybrid since my 8 iron/hybrid does about the same thing. That also would allow for a 7w to be thrown in.

I have a guest on this site coming to the course for the first time this Friday and they wanted to try the hybrid irons out. I also have oversize grips with 5 extra tapes under all the grips....and I have small hands. Rules are meant to be broken....or something.

The 64 wedge was just an experiment a few months ago....if I just relax and swing without trying to be careful I can plop that thing down soft as can be....inside 50yds it's my club to go to. If I try to be careful.....I usually leave it short.

The 11w was kind of recommendation from either Fragger or Imurg....can't remember which one had an 11w. There were a few holes at Oakdale that fit really nice with that high flight and about 150y, 12th hole in particular.

Had my best round of the summer on Sunday with this setup....-2 through 11 holes before I threw 5 bogies in towards the end for a +3 round.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When I was at Pyrford, I was ripped constantly for having five wedges in my bag. Regular 46, gaps at 50 and 52, sand-iron at 56 and lob at 64. But that was a course where you had to be spot on with your approach yardages. Now I've moved, I'm a regular four wedge man.

babylonsinger

Visit site
Interesting discussion this as I've not long bought new irons and the PW is 41° :D

Bought a 46° of the same set (Rogue ST Max) and have been considering what loft wedges to get above the 46°. Was almost set on 50 and 56 but after reading this may consider 52/58

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting discussion this as I've not long bought new irons and the PW is 41° :D

Bought a 46° of the same set (Rogue ST Max) and have been considering what loft wedges to get above the 46°. Was almost set on 50 and 56 but after reading this may consider 52/58
Same irons as me, and I did the same as you, went back and got the AW after a month or so as I needed it. I go from that to the CBX Zipcore 50 and still find that a reasonable gap. AW 105-110 ish and the CBX 50 goes about 95. I have a 54 CBX as well though which I like for delicate chips where I need to stop it quick - I used to have a 56 with less bounce and couldn't chip with that to save my life.

Last edited:

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I have five wedges, 2 came with my iron set and I've added 52 56 and 60. I don't use them all very often and tend to favour my 56° from 90 yards in.

Burnsey

Visit site
I do love a wedge and it’s not all about gapping. I like to have different bounce options for different shots. Yes, I can make a full shot with all and know my distances, but have a specific wedge for greeside and one for bunkers.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Just the two wedges again for me today. 50 and 58.
I was playing an away course in a seniors match.
Driver 10.5°
3-wood 15°
Two hybrids 20° and 23°
21° 3-iron to 45° 9-iron.

Why would I need more than 2 wedges?

Mandofred

Visit site
Driver 10.5°
3-wood 15°
Two hybrids 20° and 23°

Need? Nope. I have a thing for wedges though...... The more the merrier.

How many times have I seen someone in a 3 clubs and a putter put up 38-40pts?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I do love a wedge and it’s not all about gapping. I like to have different bounce options for different shots. Yes, I can make a full shot with all and know my distances, but have a specific wedge for greeside and one for bunkers.
I have 3 x 58 degree wedges with low (6) medium (10) and high (14) depending on the course, bunker and sand depth and how wet or firm the turf is

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Used to use my standard wedge (48?) for everything 115yds in…and used it pretty well. But getting a U/Gap wedge plus a 54 and a 58 to go with with my 48 - then getting to know my distances with them - well that made a step change in my accuracy and hence birdie opportunities…as well as par savers.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Driver 10.5°
3-wood 15°
Two hybrids 20° and 23°

Why do you need a 21° iron and 20° and 23° hybrids? Because you want them and because you can play different shots with them, presumably. Same reason people have more than 2 wedges.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do you need a 21° iron and 20° and 23° hybrids? Because you want them and because you can play different shots with them, presumably. Same reason people have more than 2 wedges.
Difference bounce is a major factor. At the moment, in bunkers I've had more luck with a low bounce 60, but my 54 has lots of bounce which I find better for chipping and pitching.

Mandofred

Visit site
At this time I have a lot of bounce on my wedges....54+58 have 12 and my 64 has 10. My old Ping 60 had 6 which was easier for me to pick off tight lies...and in the winter off bare mud lies. When it comes time to replace the 64 I'll be looking at 6 or 8. I wouldn't mind the 54+58 with a little less than 12 as well.

Where have most people been going for used fairway woods online?...maybe an old Ping 425 7w or something. Really thinking about pushing my 11w out of the bag and lofting my 9w up as much as I can and putting a 7w inbetween the 5w + 9w.

Springveldt

Visit site
Like many my PW is 45 and I've got a 50, 54 and 58. If I'm being honest I could probably get rid of one as I can go many rounds without hitting the 58 and I never hit a full shot with the 50, 54 or 58.